“Bay Carlton Hotel Great Yarmout”
Review of Bay Carlton Hotel

Bay Carlton Hotel
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We have just returned from a holiday at the Carlto hotel, the staff was very polite and helpful. The restaurent manager was very helpful she went out of hrr way to help us, our waiter Jose was very friendly and polite agreat character. The reception staff was also very polite and helpful.
Our roomwas basic but clean and we had a sea view room which was good.
we was so impressed wth this hotel and staff that we have bookeda return trip in September, well done to all the staff , sorry forgot to mention that the food was very good and good choices.

3  Thank Robert G
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you Robert G. for your wonderful review, always great to get a review like yours as it shows we are keeping our standards high, I will certainly pass on your praises to all and I look forward to your return in September.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Great family weekend,we booked for 14 family members,we all had a brilliant time.Some of us have
booked to visit again august bank holiday weekend.The food was great.It was my mums
70th birthday and she was the first to book another weekend at the carlton!
Well done to all the staff:-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lesley e
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you Lesley e. for your fantastic truthful review, I am so delighted to hear you all had such a great time! I remember you all! it was a pleasure to have you all as our guests, I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Reception, lounge and bar areas light and airy. Reception always staffed; night porter. Bad first impression created by very frayed stair carpet between ground and 1st floors. My wife and I asked for a "quiet" room - were given 309 just for the record. We were charged extra for a sea view= not on! Be aware of sloping floors on the corridors and loose boards under room carpet. The "make or break" for me is getting off to sleep. Fortunately the neighbours had the same idea=OK, but this is rare in UK. After about 10 p.m. the long straight prom seemed to attract some motor bikes. Don't worry, not to excess I add, but there! Didn't last too long. Food very good standard, but too much plate visible with "full breakfast"= not on, again, especially when a bigger breakfast was £2 extra!!! Restaurant service very satisfactory; we had "Jamie"; no complaints. Room kept very clean and tidy, size nothing special. BUT ALWAYS THE SAME IN THIS COUNTRY: we don't give a **** about noise from adjacent rooms wherever you go. Sound insulation does not exist in this country! Outside windows need a rub down and paint. Sash windows propped open with a piece of 7 plywood. Mattress "shot" but very comfortable. Hotel needs money spending on it; maybe "you get what you pay for"? Admirable position downstream from the "Golden Mile" but a Casino near on the south side was not operating; it was June therefore not at height of season. I imagine at the height of the season the prom will be heaving, like Blackpool. A very enjoyable holiday.

Room Tip: If you don't want entertainment ask for a room away from it.
3  Thank Frank A

Thank you Frank A for your review, I will look into all your negative comments in reference to hotel, we have an on going refurbishment programme, also the Casino in question ranks as one of England top casinos and is open all year round, they offer all our guests a joining package which is well received by many of our guests.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just returned from a week at the Carlton. A Wonderful week had especially after meeting people who we had met on previous holidays.
Had to move rooms due to a step into the bathroom which was difficult for my husband who is recovering from a stroke but the Manager was very understanding and had no problems moving us. Thank you.
Food was excellent and always hot and the salads were lovely, the Restaurant and bar staff always had smiles on their faces and were very helpful.
The entertainment was excellent however it was a shame that there was no entertainment on consecutive nights (Sunday and Monday) as there wasn't anything to do on these nights as walking the distance into the town was not possible for my husband.
All in all a relaxing holiday had, thank you.

5  Thank JAH25
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you JAH25 for your wonderful review, I will pass on your praises onto Mickey, who was duty manager, our team in the restaurant and our head chef John and every one else who help you enjoy your stay! I look forward to your return in the near future,
General Manager.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have just returned home from a 3 night stay with National holidays yesterday. All of the staff were lovely and could not do enough for you apart from Paul Goldthrope the bar manger/ receptionist. My mother was poorly the night before we left and needed medication from the nearest pharmacy which was town. We were due to leave at 9.15am I called a taxi firm used by the hotel at 8.00am they said it would be at least half an hour. I asked one of the two men on reception if they had another taxi firm I could call. (I had no internet signal on my mobile) He then called the same taxi firm who said it would be 15 to 20 minutes. I asked the receptionist to inform me when the taxi arrived while I went into breakfast. I came out at 8.30am and enquired if the taxi had arrived. Paul Goldthrope the bar manager who was on reception called the taxi firm to be told that a taxi had been and gone as no one was waiting and it would be another 15 minute wait, shocked by this I started to worry. I asked Paul if he could give me another taxi number I was then told by him "that was the only taxi number they had"? I told him about my mother and surely there was not only one taxi firm in Great Yarmouth? All the this time the clock was ticking! He then told me " He was from Leeds and that he didn't know the area and that he would have to find a phone book! It was as if I had inconvenienced him by asking for help! I told him it didn't matter! Panicking, I then called the same taxi firm back, explained what had happened they sent me another taxi asap. I got the medication and arrived back at 9.05 am just in time to give my mother her medication and to tell Paul Goldthrope how unhelpfull he had been and that all I wanted was help and not to be told that he was from Leeds! He never apologised yet! He could learn people skills from our lovely waiter NUNO!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Karen L
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you Karen L for your review, I will be making a full investigation into your comments regarding Paul G. I am sorry this marred your otherwise lovely stay with us and can assure you this will not happen again.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

stayed at the carlton 19th may to the 23rd .we found this hotel very comfortable our bedroom
room 222 was at the rear of the hotel but lovely and quiet it was large with a nice big bathroom
with bath and a great powerful shower thanks to lidia everywhere was clean and tidy.the food was
perfect well done chef. and the restaurant manageress did a great job keeping her staff busy she
made you feel welcome.thanks to mike our shearings driver for the trips out.this is one hotel we
will come back soon

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NuneatonJohn
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you Nuneaton John for your stunning review, its really great to hear positive comments! will pass on your praise to all concerned and I look forward to your speedy return.
kind regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Carlton Hotel is centrally located at the heart of Great Yarmouth’s lovely promenade which makes it easy to enjoy everything the resort has to offer. This 97-bedroom Victorian hotel can accommodate most holiday requirements and all rooms are en-suite. There is the opportunity to upgrade to Sea-View and Superior Rooms.
I travelled and booked with National Holidays, from Monday until Friday. I paid £22 extra for a single room, however the room was a single, built for one person. Usually a single room surcharge is when a single guest has a double bedroom! so the surcharge is a simply way for the hotel to charge more money.
The hotel bedroom was clean, and basic, the room and en-suite bathroom lighting was rather 'dim', it would not be adequate if you wanted to work in the room. The view from the room over looked some building roofs, not a pleasant outlook, but as I wasn't in the room much, it did not matter to me.
The main hotel stairway has a carpet that is frayed and is desperately ready for renewal.
The entertainment room is in the basement, and therefore is not accessible to people with mobility problems.
The entertainment, is the same weekly, and is second class, on the Monday evening the entertainment was four young people, three played the violin and the other played the piano, they played songs that, the mostly elderly guest knew, but the compere told us that it was against the law to pay these young people, so they had a collection around the audience, not only was a pint of Worthington's £3.60, but the guests had to also 'pay' for the artists!
The restaurant was okay and the staff very friendly, the food was good and plentiful.
I was impressed with Paul Betts, reception, as he spent an hour or so, helping me get my iPad 'tuned in' for the internet connection, I was very grateful to him for that.
I would not want to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I was in single room 242 and overlooking rooftops would not suit everybody.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank RegularLeeds
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you Regular Leeds for your review, I have noted your comments and they will be action a.s.a.p. depending on budgets etc. I feel perplex at hearing you will not come to stay with us again, if there is any thing I can do to make you reconsider please feel free to contact me at the hotel, or now your connected e-mail!
kind regards