Lowest prices for your stay
Official Hotel
Norwich, United Kingdom

Bit of a tired hotel.

Review of Carlton Hotel
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 14 Mar 2024
Came here with friends for one night to enjoy the day and the fireworks. My friend was not happy with her room, so the staff were lovely and changed it straight away to a very nice sea view room. The hotel is not the cleanest, down in the lobby and bar area are clean, but the stair carpet could do with replacing years ago! to be fair it is a dog-friendly hotel, but... we wanted a drink in the bar and got told no dogs! which was a little confusing as a dog-friendly hotel. We got a drink and went to the room as wanted the dog with us.
This is not the best hotel in Yarmouth, but has friendly staff and is central. The rooms were clean and equipped with a kettle, tv etc and a nice size.
Date of stay: August 2023
Trip type: Travelled with friends
4.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
4.0 of 5 bubblesService
Sonya Young, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 19 Mar 2024
Dear sam2338

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us in August 2023.
I am pleased we were able to change your friends room and upgrade to a sea view room. We are a dog friendly hotel, you are able to enjoy a drink with your dog in the lounge area, we do not allow dogs in the bar as we got so many complaints due to the amount of dogs in a small area.
On a positive note, I am pleased you found the rooms clean and the staff friendly.
I hope you come and stay with us again soon.
£130
  • eDreams
1.1 miles from Carlton Hotel
View more hotels in Great Yarmouth
1,118 results
All reviews national holidays sea view shearings holiday ascot bar single room wellington pier turkey and tinsel sea front buffet breakfast coach trip public areas bit dated norfolk broads enjoyable stay town centre long weekend gt yarmouth
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 February 2024

I will avoid using names to de-personalise the issues I have raised.

Our room had various cracked floor and splash back tiles. Missing tiles. Dirty carpet, ceiling paper peeling from the ceiling at various places in the bedroom. Damaged/Worn out carpet. Rotted wood on the inset sink cabinet. Various areas of mould on the ceiling, wall tiles and sink unit in the bathroom. Dirty and rusty shower etc.

On arrival we reported this to the hotel staff. I did asked for another room on arrival, but were told they were fully booked and no other rooms were available.
The next morning I then took photos of the issues and showed the reception desk team, in a hope we would finally be taken seriously. We were asked to wait at reception and they would get the Manager to speak with us, 30mins later we were told She was too busy managing breakfast to see us - on waiting 30 mins approximately, I felt we were being ignored!
At that point we left the hotel and went home. The weekend was indeed spoilt by the above experience.

Having a little time to think about the experince and was I justified in raising the issues, the following week, I phoned the hotel and spoke to the Manager and was informed by her, that She personnally knew all of the rooms and we were wildly exaggerating, I felt I was accused of lying. She said she could not deal with my complaint and said I had no supportive evidence suggesting the room was that bad. When I said I had showed her staff the pictures of the issues, She said no complaint had been logged and therefore She could not uphold the complaint. She suggested She could take legal action if I was to pursue this untrue complaint.

I then went to hotel group Coast & Country that owns The Carlton Hotel, I sent them 12 photos and the facts behind the complaint of the room knowingly being far from up to reasonable standards. Unfortunately they referred me back to The Carlton Manager for more debates.
Important: The short break was because I had cancer and gone through some intense radiothreapy treatment and stress and we needed a couple of days away. Because of the cancer, we had no choice to stay at the hotel as I was not able to drive another 100 miles home again. The cost of the travel and associated costs for the weekend were not taken into consideration by the Carlton Hotel Manager of course, even though by her own admittance The manager stated she personally knew of all the room in her hotel. So sadly I have no option but to make the assumption the room that was sold to me, knowing it was not up to a serviceable standard!

In the end, I feel I got no real apology, the hotel manager and basically She said She would refund me 20% of the room costs only and that met hotels the legal obligations. Eventually after I kept going back to Coast & Country/The Carlton Hotel I was refunded the full cost of the hotel and the final comments by the Carlton Manager was they would get maintenance to look at the room. I felt insulted, verbally legally threatened and fobbed off by the Carlton Manager.

I have to be honest and fair; Head Office Town and Country did continue to support me during the complaint, but my assumption seems it was finally down to The Carlton Hotel to finally resolve.

During my 45 year career in The UK Government I had the luxury of staying at many quality hotels all over the world, but it is sad to say this was the worst customer service I have ever received and the room should not have been sold to me, as it was knowingly not up to a resonable standard. My complaint was fair and reasonable and I had the evidence to reasonably justify a complaint to The Carlton Management. However, it was only through my determination that I would not let this matter be ignored.
The Carlton Hotel Management was fully aware I would be undertaking this review in time.

IMPORTANT: I hope that the 8 attached photos will further help the readers make their own judgement of; was I was right to raise the issues, I raised ?

I bear no malice or upset to the The Carlton Hotel Management or anyone else involved in this unfortunate experience. I have put the whole experience down to one of lifes issues that we all incur from time to time. I simply hope this review helps the Hotel learn and improve.

Date of stay: August 2023
2  Thank Steve H
Sonya Young, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2024

Dear Steve H

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Carlton Hotel in August 2023.

I am sincerely sorry that your stay with us was not up to your expectations and i did send you an apology email and gave you a full refund. You were not happy with this and requested a further 2 days complimentary stay Dinner, Bed and Breakfast.
I never mentioned legal action in our conversations, i did however say as you booked through booking.com you would have to go back through them for your refund as that is who you booked and paid through.
We are currently trying to refurbish all rooms, so all rooms are priced accordingly.
Once again i am sorry your experience with us was not a good one and you will be glad to hear all the points raised regarding the room has now been rectified.

Reviewed 25 January 2024 via mobile

Unprofessional front of house and management, eye rolling to a guest is unacceptable. Room was filthy, was offered a deep clean which I accepted, but after a horrendous nights sleep due to paper thin walls, was too tired to let housekeeping in! Room should have been deep cleaned beforehand, not on request. Poor communication and organisation, left waiting for a table in dining room most nights. Was meant to be a lovely Christmas break but Sonya and team didn't deliver. Give this place a very wide berth. If anyone wants I have pictures of the filth in the room. My hubby is not a complainer but he has requested a refund from our tour organiser simply because of this hotel!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sonya Young, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2024

Dear Bansnahammock1

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your Christmas stay with us at Carlton Hotel.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay.
When you arrived you expressed the duvet cover in your room did not meet your expectations, as you believe the cover was too small for the duvet. Our team strives to provide a comfortable and enjoyable experience for all our guests, and we appreciate your understanding as we promptly got the duvet cover changed for you
Regarding the cleanliness concerns. you called the reception on your return to the room after dinner and requested to observe the cleaners cleaning the room the next morning, and we sent two cleaners as requested. However, we regret that they were unable to access your room due to your preference for additional rest.
After the first night no complaint was made to reception directly and we regret that you felt the need to express your disappointment publicly rather than informing us directly.
We understand that wait times for tables can occur, especially when everyone comes for dinner at the same time, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated. We strive to provide a pleasant dining experience for all our guests, and we're glad to hear that, despite any wait, no one went without a table.
Once again, we apologize for any shortcomings during your stay. We value your feedback as it helps us improve our services and meet the expectations of our guests.

Reviewed 3 January 2024 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights as part of a coach trip. The staff were all friendly and helpful, the room was warm, well presented and clean with plenty of hot water, and the food was tasty with a decent amount of variety on the menu every morning and night. There was even a singer on in the bar one evening who was very entertaining to watch. This is a pleasant and straightforward seaside hotel that covers the basics very well. I’d definitely stay here again.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Sonya Young, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2024

Dear Foodie2993

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I am pleased you had a good 3 night stay with us and found the staff friendly and helpful.
I look forward to seeing in future.

Reviewed 2 January 2024 via mobile

We went on a Caledonian break.they cannot be held responsible for the hotel they are normally good.

No room service we stayed Three days 30th December to 2nd January.

The room was not clean.The shower room was no better a broken toilet seat and a broken shower door.only had one shower felt we could have caught more inside the filthy cubicle.

The Breakfast was nice but rushed. The Evening meal was inedible.not one night was nice.Nobody asked why the food was returned the staff were not interested.

We will not go to this hotel again.we were in room 133 if the disinfectant team would like to go into it.
Oh and we found dry food under the bed when looking for a dropped tablet.

Date of stay: January 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sonya Young, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2024

Dear Gary E

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Carlton Hotel.
Firstly, the rooms are serviced on request and if you would have notified someone of your dissatisfaction they might have been able to help with the broken toilet seat and shower door.
Breakfast was served between 8am and 10am and an extra hour was added on New years day to close at 11am so not sure why you felt it was rushed.
I am confused as to why you didn't complain during your stay, a member of the management team were on reception daily.

Reviewed 31 December 2023 via mobile

Firstly I paid £59 for 2 nights in a single room Inc breakfast that's why it's 5 stars .
Yes the hotel is tatty around the edges but you cannot get a hostel bed for this price. The staff were all lovely and the hotel was very warm and cosy . I was given a large room with a double bed despite paying for a single bed. The bathroom was very dated but clean with excellent shower ! The bed was comfy and sheets were clean . In the room was tea tray with hotchoc plus biscuits which is lacking in a lot of expensive hotels these days. The room had a hairdryer , fan , iron , ironing board and plenty of towels . Breakfast had a good choice and was very qood quality. I stayed here with my elderly parents and they were also very happy with their room and stay . I honestly don't know how they do it for this price .

Room tip: No car park, but free parking adjacent to hotel butI expect parking in peak season would be very difficult
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear 202anissab

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Carlton Hotel.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel good value for money. We are still working our way through a refurbishment action plan, being a 97 bedroom hotel you can imagine its not a quick easy task.
I hope you come and visit us again in the future.