“superb stay”

Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“superb stay”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

myself and my husband arrived monday 6th of august (my birthday treat) we were greeted by a lovely man on reception who had told us that the double room we had booked had been upgraded to the lady elizabeth suite, obviously that was a lovely birthday surprise, the gentleman went on to explain about the lift and that they did have a coach party in so what times to avoid eating if we didnt want to wait, which again was very helpful to us. the suite was lovely and the jacuzzi bath was very relaxing, we had ample things in the room but if we needed anything we only had to ask, the only negative thing i have to say is that we choose to eat in the restaurant and while the service was fantastic and the staff very polite i did find the food a bit of a let down and felt that the chef had just thrown stuff on the plate, my husbands seasonal vegetables were very burnt and inedible, we didnt want to complain as the staff were so busy and we felt the positives of our stay most certainly outweighed the negatives we will certainly be staying again x ;

Room Tip: ive stayed here a couple of time both the double room ive had and the lady elizabeth suite were lov...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dawn r
Gemma A, Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feed back regarding your recent stay with us. We are naturally most upset to learn that your restaurant experience was unsatisfactory due to the food presentation. This is very surprising as we receive excellent feed back about the food at the Nelson. Please accept my apologies that this did not meet our usual standards. I am pleased to read that the rest of your stay enjoyable and that you would return to the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

On arriving we were greeted by a very cheerful and helpful young man, he told us the lift was slow, has we were on the 3rd floor and gave us the WI fi code (which was rubbish and kept disconnecting)we found the room very old fashioned and tired and of need of an update, the bed was very uncomfortable no mattress protector and very thin pillows, had an hole in the sheet and a blanket???
We had bed and breakfast the first one we had I asked for no sausage but instead of an extra piece of bacon it just was minus the sausage? And all it consisted of was 1 egg ,1 piece of bacon, 1 sausage and a small spoon of beans, yet the next morning I asked for the same no sausage it came with 3 pieces of bacon 2 hash browns an egg and loads of beans and a loads of mushrooms, must have been a different cook? Lol safe to say all ingredients value range.
We got our 2 night stay on a deal website which was not to bad, if we were paying full price I wouldn’t stay there at all

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank truckyboy
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. You feed back is very important and valuable to us. I am sorry to hear that there were inconsistencies with the food. This has been rectified at the hotel due to your comments. Similarly, we have taken on board your comments regarding the bed and pillows. The WI-FI signal is designed to connect in all public areas. It does reach some of our bedrooms but not all at present. We do pride ourselves on excellent hospitality and value for money and I am pleased that we have delivered on these aspects of your stay. We really do value your custom and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Mildenhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I stayed here for a poker competion at a local Casino so didnt spend a lot of time in the room, but it was very spacious, mind you i did have a family room as a single, but it was huge!
the bathroom was clean as was the room, the shower was nice and hot,!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Nigel T
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feed back regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
london
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We recently stayed for two nights at the Nelson hotel, check in was very quick and I was told where the lift was as our room was on the 3rd floor, after several attmpts to call the lift I decided to walk, on reaching the 3rd floor, I found the lift door wedged open whilst someone was unloading towels.

The room (342) was on the small side but clean and adequate enough for our needs. I was woken on the saturday morning with the sound of birds flapping and cooing, there seemed to be birds in the loft above our room, this was mentioned to the manager who said he would deal with it, on the sunday morning there was very little noise from the birds.

The breakfast was very nice with a good choice to select from and the waitress very polite.

We only had one drink in the bar which was a little expensive but this is to be expected in a hotel.

Overall we had a good stay

Room Tip: My brother and his wife booked a twin room, (142) which was huge as it was a family room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lemagLondon
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Nelson Hotel. We are delighted that we exceeded your expectations in most aspects of your visit. We try to complete all housekeeping tasks before check in time as a general rule to avoid such situations that you experienced with the demand for the lift. I am pleased to read that your complaint regarding the birds had been dealt with during your stay by the management team. I will take on board your comments regarding the bar prices. Thank you for your words regarding the hospitality of the staff. This was most kind and your comments will be passed to the team members who contributed to this. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The hotel was booked as part of a coach trip, it's a beautiful old building and I shared a twin room with my friend. The first room we were allocated on the third floor was filthy, thick dust covered all surfaces, windows were broken and a general state of neglect. After complaining we were moved to a similar room along the corridor, this looked much cleaner but still worn. There was no hairdryer as stated, and no socket near the mirror, we had to pull the bed away from the wall to access a socket only to find dirty tissues, dust, fluff and hair under both beds. I asked for this to be dealt with while we were out, on our return we found the tissues had been removed but the floor had not been vacuumed. There was also a build up of fluff on the radiator grill and what appeared to be an old 'menstrual' stain on one of the bedcovers.

I accept the hotel is old and grade 2 listed so things do get worn over time but there was no excuse for the lack of cleanliness, especially in the bathroom. The floor was carpeted in the bathroom, even around the toilet and bath panel, of course this was stained. All chrome fittings were corroded and had a build up of grimy chalk deposits, especially the wash basin. There was pink mould along the edge of the bath and shower curtain, the bottom of the roller blind was covered in dirty fingerprints as was the inside of the door. The loo roll holder was not fixed to the wall and was hanging loose, the glass shelf had an incline where it was badly fitted. The manager told us he had a very good housekeeper and they regularly had good reviews and the reason for the problems was the rooms hadn't been used for some time. In my opinion that's even more reason why they should have been cleaned to a higher standard, as with a quick turnover of guests there's less time to clean. The manager is ultimately responsible for the hotel and he obviously hadn't bothered ensuring cleaning was up to scratch. I should point out though that the sheets were spotless.

The waiting staff though were lovely, nothing was too much trouble for them. The catering was rather poor.

Room Tip: Upper floors in desperate need of renovation
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank irene a
, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Thank you for taking your time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us and pointing out a few issues. I do actually recall the complaint you made regarding your first room which was more to do with the windows than anything else and as a result you were moved to another room. I actually moved you personally and you said that you were very happy with the new room and at no point did you mention any of the things that you have put into your review and at no point did we have a discussion about it.
Further, during this particular week we were full, with two coaches in, all we received from the other guests was praise , both for the cleanliness of the Hotel and for our excellent food. The service by my staff is faultless and this is borne out by all our reports and reviews which appear on Trip Advisor.
Again I would like to thank you for taking your time to write your review
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Just had a one night stay here and the staff, food and location can not be faulted, however the room was on the 2nd floor so we had people above and the floor boards creaked so much when the upstairs guests moved about that it woke my 1 yr old son on several occasions resulting in a not very restful nights sleep all round :( . The room size and facilities provided were perfectly adequate for the price we paid but just wish we had been able to sleep!!! I would consider staying again but would have to insist on a top floor room to try to resolve my issues.

Room Tip: Go for top floor if you can!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing a review about The Nelson on trip Advisor. I am sorry that you did not get much sleep during your stay due to the 'creaking' floorboards. Unfortunately this is one of the things that you get with a building that is 170 years old and is Grade II listed, this in itself is a great selling point for The Hotel.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your meals with us as we pride ourselves in our cuisine and service, which is second to none. We do strive to provide an experience that is memorable for all the right reasons and it is nice to know that we have achieved that.
Again many thanks for taking time to write your review.
kent
Reviewed 11 June 2012

just got back from a mon~fri stay at the nelson took my dad and hubbie and hoped we would be near dads room but we were not, we were on separate floors.
Manager said these are the only rooms available in a un~caring voice {not a good start for me!)
our room ~small didnt look like it had been hoovered as there were biscuit crumbs behind the bin, and the tea tray was dirty, the bathroom was in need of decoration as there were cracks all down the side of the bath
and the shower screen wouldnt shut (looked like someone had forced it the wrong way) we did tell them about it and it was fixed the next day which was good.
the bath plughole had a horrid smell like rotten eggs! (not painting a pretty picture am i !) RIGHT now on to dads!!~nice big room BUT hole in bathroom ceiling!!! told them about it and they said prob a big repair so wouldnt get done while dad was in there! so we hoped it wouldnt rain but IT did! and in it came! told them again and nothing was done , luckly it stopped soon after! but they should not have put anyone in that room in that state,
looks like im writting a book here!~the GOOD things were the food 4 course meals in evening! and being a veggie there was EVEN stuff for me! breakfast was ok but nothing for veggies i had to have beans and toms every day (NO it wasnt me that made that smell in the bathroom!!)
The bar was lacking in low alc beer (hubbies drink!) was
asked if they could get some didnt get any in,so hubbie not very :)
The entertainment was good (whoohoo)
The waiting staff were good and freindly
all in all i suppose the nelson wasnt bad but dought id stay again (thank you god they say!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review of The Nelson and I appreciate criticism, both constructive and negative at the same time. I have had time to look into your points regarding the allocation of the rooms and have checked the rooming list for your coach and noticed that there were no requests indicating that you required a room next to someone else. As for the maintenance issues regarding, what I believe to be Room 312 from the notes I was left, the work required is a very big job that will require scaffolding to be put up to solve the issues with the roof and is not something that can be fixed overnight, this was explained to you by my Assistant Manager.
We pride ourselves in our service and quality of food here at The Nelson and all of our recent comments from guests confirm this, along with the comments from the other tour that was in at the same time, I believe we satisfied everyone's needs this particular week.
Again many thanks for taking time to write your review.