“Stay Away” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
wales
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

My business partner and myself arrived at the hotel quite late. We were asked for payment in full for the one nights stay before having the key. We decided to go out for dinner before going to the room. On our return we had drinks in the hotel bar before turning in for the night. On arrival in the room and, after looking around; we found it was absolutely filthy. The wardrobe In the room was hanging off the wall. There was at least an inch of dust on top of it. The bed was a double size and it was falling apart. The quilting on the sides were coming away from the frame. The mattress was stinking.The sheets on the bed had dirty marks on them.The blanket on the be was dirty and stank.The shower curtain was covered in green and black mould. The bath seal was orange and rotten.The toilet was covered in old urine and faeces. . The waste bin still had the previous guests rubbish in it. The carpet on the bath panel is coming away from the bath. The shower head is absolutely filthy and clogged up. The whole room and everything in it were absolutely disgusting. I have never seen anything like it before.I went down to the bar to complain to the Manager but was told he was off and that there was no one who could help until morning.We did not eat at the hotel at breakfast because if the kitchen was in the same state as the bedroom we would be seriously ill. Despite me writing a letter of complaint to the owners of the hotel outlining the problems I feel as though I got nowhere with it. I told them that I would be putting my review on Trip Advisor but it fell on deaf ears. I had a £30 refund from the £80 I paid.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank tawie121
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you for taking time to write your review on trip advisor although your stay was was back in August last year. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and, as you have mentioned, you did write to Head Office regarding this issue. Although I disagree with guests who try and gain a refund out of Hoteliers by using the threat of of using this medium as a means to get their monies back, I believe in your case you were given a £30 refund.
Again many thanks for taking time to write your review and your letter.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Coalville, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

Spent 1 night at this hotel with friends for a turkey and tinsel weekend. The hotel was really nice, comfortable and clean. We had a really enjoyable Christmas dinner and equally good breakfast the following morning. The bedroom I had (Room 108) was huge - a double and a single bed, two washbasins in the bathroom, nice bath with shower over and toilet. The evening entertainment was really enjoyable - a lovely gentleman who played a good range of different instruments and also sang. He gave us an excellent evening - just a pity a lot more of the guests didn't stay to hear him. Overall a very pleasant weekend.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gemma A, Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the entertainment a good standard. I have passed your kind words regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and the quality of food to the manager to share with his team. We will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again the future.
DERBY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

Ample parking outside without charge. A friendly welcome at reception by the manager. The room was warm and comfortable with lots of space. A large bar area with entertainment some nights. In winter expect coach parties . The breakfast was very good but needed more waitresses to serve.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff the be welcoming and helpful. I have taken on board your comments regaridng the service levels in the restuarant. We will look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Romsey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

It was apparent on arrival that the hotel reception staff are not expert at dealing with large numbers arriving (I was there for a conference in the town) and it wasn't long before several waiting wondered when Basil Fawlty might appear.

The general demeanor of the hotel, like the resort, is rather tired and dated, presumably reflecting the fact that so many people go abroad for their holidays.

My room. overlooking the wall of the neighboring hotel, was large enough and comfortable enough for me. The bathroom needed redecoration, the shower dripped constantly and the soap dish in the shower was clinging desperatey to the tiles by a single rawl plug.

In the restaurant the food was surprisingly good, cooked well, tasty and nicely presented. The breakfatsts were particularly good. The staff were very friendly and helpful but not as efficient as they might have been and we ofeten had to ask a passing waitress to take our order. I was in a party of four and we ordered wine every evening. Having ordered the wine the relevant bottle was then simply placed on our table. We could manage the screw top bottles but one evening we ordered a Rioja and had to ask for a corkscrew!! In fairness the waitress did open the wine for us but left us to do the pouring. OK, it is only 3 star.

There was a comfortable bar but a poor selection of drinks, the only beer being John Smiths (who owns up to drinking that?) and Fosters lager (not even Australians drink that.)

When settling our bills my travelling companion and I noticed numerous errors, he was charged for my newspaper, I wasn't charged for a meal I had ordered for my son who joined us for dinner but wasn't credited for the deposit I had paid but strangely the total came to within a couple of pounds of what it should have been.

Despite my critical comments I think my group enjoyed their stay (we have a sense of humour) although I think it is unlikely we'll go to Yarmouth again, but with a bit of money spent updating the hotel and some staff training the hotel would be fine for those who want a holiday in a seaside resort like Great Yarmouth.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elmsley
Thank you for you feedback from your stay with us. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and the food to be a good quality. I do take on board your comments regaridng the decor of the hotel. You feedback regarding the confusion when paying has been very useful and we have given extra training as a result of your comments. The bar is also offers bottled beers but the draught is limited and based on demand. We will look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the future.
salisbury
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

When we arrived at the Hotel we where given the Elizabethian Sweet very nice and comfortabel clean at all times and plenty of room.The restaurant is spacious and clean but the service is terrible.My wife and I had to share a table with 2 more people ok nothing against this but after we had one course we had to wait for them to finish till we received our 2nd course.sometimes these 2 ladies where anything up to 10-15 minutes whilst talking and looking aroundbefore the finished.I did complain but no avail.The last evening there I had ordered Garlic mushrooms had to wait till the rest of the tabel finished the Tasters ,the where given there main course ,but I still had not received my starters.When I asked the head waiter about my meal I was asked did you not have it ,I replyed no and was informed "I forgot " no appologies to have to wait 15 minutes after asking several times,is not good enough.
When my main meal came it was raw it was supposed have been stuffed peppers when the meal arrived it was a piece of pepper not blanched with raw vegtables and rice on top plced under the grill to brown the rice .I have never been so disappointed in all my live.
I know I was not the only one to complain that evening .I think the Chef on duty and the Head waiter of that evening ought to be severely repremanded .I can distinkly remember that evening for I did complain to our Tour Manger and also to the Deputy Hotel manager.I fully appreciate the Managers can not be everywhere at the same time but a good Head waiter could have seen to all this.Sorry about this but unless we telll you it will not be rectified.

Room Tip: make sure you are not served by the Head waiter called Kily
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank walter r
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about the hotel. I am sorry to read that the food on the first night of your stay was not satisfactory. This is very rare as we get extremely good feedback about the food. Unfortunately guests that arrive in a group do have to share tables with fellow passenger to allow friendships to form. We do try to offer as many smaller tables as possible but our space is very limited. I have passed your comments to the manager to investigate and ensure such issues do not arise again. Once again thank you for for feedback it is very useful to us.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

we went to this hotel only to find our room was a filthy hovel,there was matted was dust on the curtains over the bed on the bedhead and the coffee table as well it must not have been cleaned for years,the mattress was that brown that it left myself and wife really disgusted,we went into the bathroom and the smell was horrendous from the sink it stank of diarrhea,arround the bath its self was again matted hair and dust again it must have been there years,there was an hole in the bath,i went to see the manager and he said they were full and so we had to keep the room,we slept with the window open and the bathroom door closed because of the foul smell.i took pictures and made a complaint to the hotel through wombwell coaches,who did not seem to care at all,in the end we got an apology from the group who own the nelson hotel admitting that the room indeed was filthy,we go no money back from them and also wombwell coaches also,i payed nearly 500 hundred pounds to stop in what best describes this hovel,as proof i have kept all phtographs of the room and bathroom also,my email address is,j.t.brook.art@live.com all in all
how can this happen ? and the hotel and wombwell coaches gett away with this,it is beyond me,this statement is for people who are thinking of going there,i have kept the pathetic apology and as i said the photograps should anyone want to see them as proof,please do not throw your money away on this hovel,jtbrook.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank johnbrookartist b
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. You did complain to our head office directly. Once again I can only apologise that the room furnishings did not meet your expectations. The rooms do vary in size and decor due to the age and character of the building. Your letter was fully investigated and responsed by us. As suggested, if you had of complained to the Manager during your stay we would have been able to deal with your issues during your stay. It is not an excuse as we would have preferred that your room was to your standard before your arrival but we would have accommodated and dealt with any complaints at the time. I cannot comment on how Wombwell deal with their complaints but I am sorry you feel that you did not enjoy your holiday.

Travellers are raving about these Great Yarmouth hotels

Braintree, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

i stayed here for one night with three girls and my partner han room with my 2yr old son.we both liked our rooms only one pillow on beds and the floor tiles was lose when standing on it.apart from that the food was lovely very friendly too.

Room Tip: the family rooms are very big will need to bring pillows.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gemma A, Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor following your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will of course take on board your comments in relation to the pillows, and the floor tiles have now been rectified. Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Nelson Hotel in the near future.