“I expected Game for a laugh to turn up” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Nelson Hotel

The Nelson Hotel
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Northampton, United Kingdom
“I expected Game for a laugh to turn up”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

As a birthday treat for my wife I decided to push the boat out and book the Abigail suite at the Nelson hotel for 4 days @ 100 gb pounds per night . I expected a clean reasonable hotel at this price and as it was situated perfectly on the front with a sea view paid up front . All I can say is the staff were top dollar for friendliness On arrival my heart hit the floor as we gazed in astonishment at the water cascading through the electric lights in the bathroom ,I reported the fault immediately and thought oh well accidents happen, this thought started wearing thin the following morning after a terrible nights sleep the water was STILL cascading down and no action had been taken. Upon examining the mattress we were horrified to see its condition it was so badly stained I would have been ashamed to throw it in the skip . The furniture from the sitting room would, if I had my way follow the mattress . To sum up needless to say we stayed one night only and would never ever stay in this flop house ever again .I have photographs to prove all is true

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James F
Gemma A, Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you for your review of our property.
It was very disappointing to learn of the problems encountered whilst at our Hotel.
Your feedback is extremely important to us and we really do value your custom. Please accept my sincere apologies regarding this unsatisfactory situation.

This matter will be discussed with the General Manager and further training will be organised for the housekeeping team.

We are aware that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. However immediate steps are being taken to address the particular issues you have raised and the chair has been removed and new mattresses have been ordered.

Thank you again for your feedback and we will ensure standards are improved and maintained.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Northamptonshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the malaise that infects many British seaside holiday resorts is astounding and nothing could better illustrate the problem than the Nelson at Great Yarmouth.

Here exists a stunning hotel, fabulously located on the seafront overlooking the Wellington Pier (if you dare call it a 'pier' as it barely touches the waters edge!) It is a listed building and the photographs in the bar and reception area illustrate the proud history and decline of this grand hotel through its various guises; opened as the Cavendish Hotel, renamed the Elizabeth and now the Nelson.

The rooms are spectacularly large; so why install 'double beds'? Our room could easily have accommodated a Queen-size and a King-size bed, but instead we had a double and a single... the double was a 'friendship' bed, which sank alarmingly in the middle so keeping apart from your sleeping companion became a constant battle, and the single bed was lumpy with springs bulging from the mattress. Furnishings were of cheap white melamine, although there was far more storage than most families would ever need and the carpet was dingy. It was, however, clean.

The en-suite was pleasant enough, although having no natural light, but everything worked and there was abundant hot water on demand.

The common areas were nice, the hotel even has a pretty well-stocked library room and the bar was large, but still retained a cosy atmosphere. The breakfast room overlooked the promenade and (I suspect) straddled what was the original main entrance to the hotel... breakfast as a meal was both sufficient and tasty if a little unimaginative, although my kipper on the first day was seriously over-cooked to the point of near cremation!

All the staff with whom we had contact were friendly, informative and helpful.

But in saying all of this, the hotel is rapidly galloping away from the wrong side of it's 'sell-by' date, which is a huge shame as the potential of this grand hostelry, is immense. It needs vision, in the manner that the owners of the Langham in Eastbourne have brought a new life to what had been a run-down seaside hotel... and even accepting that Eastbourne and Great Yarmouth are two different towns that cater for different clientele, there is still scope to develop this hotel into the premier establishment in the town and to make it a first-class east cost hotel.

As it is, the Nelson has been awarded three-stars by the AA and in all honesty I begin to wonder whether the inspector had been suffering with a bout of over-generosity or was drunk at the time of inspection, as I really cannot see how this is achievable.

A nearby hotel boasts the fact that Charles Dickens stayed there when he was writing David Copperfield... if Dickens were to stay at the Nelson today, you would clearly understand where he gained the inspiration for Miss Havisham in Great Expectations!

Room Tip: It is worth having a sea view!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your wonderfully composed review and feedback.
Indeed our hotel enjoys a fantastic location and the property has some lovely large rooms and nicely presented public facilities.
We have an on-going rolling refurbishment and redecoration plan in place and we continue to work hard to constantly improve standards.
We too see the potential this grand old property has and with further hard work and investment we aim to extend its shelf life.
Thank you again for your feedback, your comments have been duly noted and we will endeavour to address the issues raised.

High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

The hotel definitely needs a refurb but we did book at the last minute and this was the only room available for the bank holiday weekend Saturday. Whilst the decor was old and dated we did have a comfortable night and location wise it was right on the front and equi-distant between the pleasure beach and the main town area.

Whilst the hotel has no dedicated parking there is parking right outside if you are lucky.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue S
Thank you for your review following your stay at our Hotel.
We are pleased to learn you had a comfortable stay with us. With regards to refurbishment we are underway with redecoration in our bedrooms and we are constantly trying to improve and enhance the customer experience.
We hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future

Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed in The Nelson on Saturday night of the Bank Holiday weekend. We expected it to be busy and perhaps for the staff to be slightly overrun, but it wasn't as bad as we thought. The Nelson is classed as a 3 Star hotel by The AA, but I must say it really didn't meet the expectations one would have of a 3 Star hotel. We had two rooms, a double and a twin, and the cleanliness and bedding was not up to standard. There were no duvets, only top sheets and itchy, mustard coloured blankets, and our window sills and adiators looked like they hadn't been dusted or cleaned in about 6 months. It was overall and uncomfortable night's sleep.

Breakfast the next morning was actually quite decent, with a few choices, and was included in the rate of the room, which was a nice bonus. Check out was at 11am, making it a bit more comfortable and laid back for people, especially on a Sunday morning. However, on checking out, the man behind the desk was extremely rude and unhelpful, as we were asking for directions to a specific museum. We later discovered that his directions took us on an exceptionally long route to a museum that was almost directly behind our hotel, a few streets back. Neither party was asked how our stay was or if there was anything else he could do. I was quite unimpressed to be honest.

The location was great, but that's about the only good point.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TazG303
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at our Hotel.
I am disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction.
Your feedback is important to us and the issues raised will be investigated and discussed with the Hotel General Manager.
Thank you again for your review and we will endeavour to address the issues raised.

Travellers are raving about these Great Yarmouth hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

After booking this 2 days before ? I didn't do much research in to this much needed revamp of a hotel . Firstly parking was very hard ! We paid at the front desk before seeing the room BIG MISTAKE ! When we Finally got up the tight narrow stair case to our room I noticed the carpet wasn't clean stained / grubby the sheets to the bed had holes in ! Then I noticed a stain underneath the sheet on the mattress it made me feel quite ill ! I wouldn't let my dog sleep in there ! Complained to reception and got a full refund . Ended up stopping in the holiday inn in Norwich which was fantastic !

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Grant J
Gemma A, Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback, following your recent stay with us.

It was disappointing to hear that the hotel did not meet with your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we really do value your custom as such I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

We are aware that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted, and a review of whether any more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

Waking up after our first night of 4 in this 'hotel'... I really wish I could afford to relocate our family!
We arrived to be handed the keys after a long journey with two young children to be greeted to an obviously uncleaned room (bar the beds they had been changed), there was sand on the floors, tea in the pot.... The list goes on!
We brought this to receptions attention who informed us it would be sorted.... We waited desperate for a shower, after waiting 20mins or more my husband went back to reception to be informed the housekeeper didn't start their shift for another hour, needless to say after voicing that really wasn't acceptable within another 10mins a nice lady came and we went and stayed with our parents whilst the room was cleaned (this was at 4.15pm). The room is a shabby family room, I think they must have put us here thinking our kids would trash it, it's horrible.
No chance of the kids getting excited of a sea view, we can see bins other backs of hotels and what looks like the staff smoking area!
Oh and one last warning, don't expect an extended sleep in the morning, if someone uses the loo above you, the noises?!?
Having wrote this at 630am after the whole family being woke up extremely early, I don't know how breakfast will fair.
Really dissapointed :-(

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Emzg82
Gemma A, Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013

I really am sorry that you did not receive the level of customer service that we strive to provide. Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board.

Chatham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed at the Nelson for one night.The location was excellent, close to the pubs and pleasure beaches.
From first impressions, it looked tired and needed decorating, but to be honest all of the hotels we looked at in Yarmouth looked like they needed up-dating. We were on the top floor at the front of the hotel. At 2am we had people singing and talking loudly outside which we were not too pleased about. The shower had no pressure and was freezing cold!! We didn't stay for breakfast so cannot comment, when leaving, the corridors stunk of sweaty arm pits, I'm afraid to say.
It's such a shame as this hotel is in such a good spot with car parking opposite, would maybe stay again, but would ask not to be put on the 3rd floor.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Gemma A, Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013

I was very sorry to read you comments regarding your stay with us and that you were disturbed by revellers. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we really do value your custom as such I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted, particularly those relating to the shower and a review of whether any more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.