“Kipper for Breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Leighton Buzzard
“Kipper for Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

It may not be the best hotel in Yarmouth but I fully agree with all the good things already said about it . It was certainly OK for a large U3A group such as the one I was on. But what I do want to highlight is the Chef's own "special breakfast" - that's a complete Lowestoft kipper served with brown toast and scrambled egg. And when I say complete I mean exactly as you would see a big kipper on a fishmonger's slab..

I can honestly say I have never tasted better !!

Room Tip: Ask for Room 108 - it's large with one double and one single bed. Two wash basins in the en-sui...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your review after your recent stay and I am pleased that you enjoyed yourself during your visit. I am particularly proud of my staff and what we are achieving at The Nelson with regard to the refurbishment of this large Grade II Victorian Hotel and it is nice to see that it is appreciated. The Kippers are something that I believe give a talking point for guests to go home and say that they were te best that they ever had. I pick them up personally from the Old SmokeHouse in Lowestoft and they are very popular for fish lovers.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Booked this hotel on Internet for a one night stay in Great Yarmouth, regarding work.
Best hotel I have stayed in for the money. Right on seafront.
Very Pleasant greeting and helpful on arrival. Single room with bath and shower over bath, but nice and warm.
Had a drink at bar, where people were using playing cards, scrabble etc,
yes décor was old and a bit worn around edges, but would definitely stay here again.
Stayed on a room only basis, so can't comment on meals.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to write your review after your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciate great value. I believe we offer excellent value in Great Yarmouth compared to other establishments and we pride ourselves in our customer sevice.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Recently stayed here and was good value for money. Dont expect modern furnishing or too much because it is very dated but who goes on holiday to stay in the hotel all the time? Room was practical, had a large bathroom and was very clean and tea and coffee facilities are available in the room. Could see the sea from my room. Only downside was at night I got cold, I did not have a duvet as instead it was a sheet with two blankets and I believe a duvet would have been more hygienic and warmer. In the night I could hear people walking down the corridor due to creaky floorboards but the hotel is old and I am a light sleeper. Would stay here again when I visit Great Yarmouth in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank j3nnavi3v3
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to write your review and I am pleased that everything was to your liking. We do offer good value for money compared to other establishments in Great Yarmouth. Our refurbishment is continuing on from last year and we have managed to complete 19 bedrooms in total, along with some of the public areas.
Stotfold, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here from 25th-27th April for our 1st anniversary. We chose this hotel as it was in the middle of everything that we wanted to visit. We stayed in a double room with a sea view and we were not disappointed. We didn't opt for the breakfast or dinner in the hotel but we did have a sandwich at the bar which was very nice. We will come back next year and will definitely stay at the Nelson again and will have the breakfast option and a dinner or two. Cannot fault this hotel at all. All the staff are lovely and really friendly.
Can't wait to come back again x

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emma H
Thank you for your review and I am very pleased to read your comments. We do offer great value in Great Yarmouth compared to other establishments and this is borne out in your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.
Crewkerne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We were Made very welcome from arrival and surprisingly given a sea view room. Location was excellent as was the free parking outside the hotel. Room was basic and dated but clean and comfortable as we intended to explore the broads we did not spend much time in it. There was entertainment provided on the 2nd night, a female singer who had a lovely personality and great voice. Breakfast was good with variety. All staff very friendly and helpful, making us feel at home almost. Overall for what we paid we felt we had great value for money and would go back again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to write your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay. We believe we offer good value for money compared to other establishments in Great Yarmouth.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Booked this hotel through booking.com on the 15th april 2014 for 2 days. Canclelled my booking immediately after reading the reviews and getting very dissapointed. Booking.com stated that my card would only be charged when I presented it at the hotel. This was not the case. My card was charged a total of 140 pounds (full charge) and booking.com were unable to recover my money from Nelson Hotel. Adam from Booking.com supposedly rang Nelson to request them to refund the money because the cancellation was made within 10 minutes of the booking but they still refused. In other words, they kept their room and my money and that did not seem to bother them. May God deal with you Nelson Hotel.
Tabbie

Room Tip: read the reviews before booking.
Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tabby M
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for taking time to write your review. However you are being less than honest with the review. Firstly you made the booking through Booking.Com at short notice and as such were liable for the full payment of the booking especially when you cancelled within 10 minutes, as you say. The conditions of the booking are clearly listed in the Terms & Conditions in the booking.com website and when you cancelled you were liable for the full amount which was notified to you at the time by Booking.Com. You can book a room through Booking.Com without this cancellation charge but again this is clearly notified at the time of the booking. Booking.Com were right in stating that we do not take payment, except the deposit which is taken at the time of the booking, until you check in. But because you cancelled with the times stipulated in the terms & conditions you immediately became liable for the full amount.

Travellers are raving about these Great Yarmouth hotels

Ayr, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed here recently and although the staff were very informal and rough around the edges with regards to customer service they were nice. First impressions on the outside was wow, got inside and it was OMG, very dated, uninviting and in need of a desperate refurb. The furniture in the room was old and rickety, badly stained and the pillows has no substance in them. The mattresses are very uncomfortable and you can count the springs on your back as you try to sleep. The room was very dusty and dirty and the shower I couldn't control the temperature and ended up burning my legs when the temperature changed on its own, good knows how the older generation cope as I can still move quiet quickly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rob W
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
I am at odds to understand your review as on the date you stated that you stayed at the Hotel, The Nelson was in fact closed for the winter season and actually re-open in about 10 days time. Clearly this is a malicious review and should be viewed as such and was reported to Trip Advisor.