“Room for Improvement”

Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
UK
“Room for Improvement”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Well I booked this hotel in advance as I was only staying over for 1 night and the rate was really good with a sea view from my room.
I must admit with previous comments that the hotel is in DESPERATE need of re-modernising and a lick of paint in itself would be great to freshen up a very tired building.
In addition the carpets in the room did appear to be dirty and the windows were filthy. The view from my room made it all worth while though.
Also rooms on the front are quite noisy with the constant passing traffic and people out on the streets, which you would expect.
I only had breakfast during my stay as this was included in the price. Was greeted by staff with your "Room No" upon entering the restaurant.
Overall would I stay again....no I would have to give this place a miss as cleanliness is high priority on my list.
Such a shame as this hotel has the real potential to be a great place stay with customers returning.
On the plus side: Free parking directly outside hotel with no limits, sea views, great location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank pimms29
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for taking time to write your review after your recent stay. I agree wholeheartedly that the Hotel has great potential and with the rolling programme of refurbishment that I currently have in place, most of the potential will be achieved. The down side is that this takes time, and money of course, and without passing the cost onto the customer, most of the refurbishment is being carried out 'in house' which is a much slower method than just closing the doors to all guests and doing the work that way. I have been able to get 19 bedrooms completed and quite a few of the public areas and more work is planned for the remainder of this month. I believe we offer great value for money considering our location and by keeping the rates at a reaonable level, compared to other establishments on the seafront, our occupancy is very good.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
East Midlands
Reviewed 6 July 2014

A weekend away...the room was dirty, thick dust on the radio, mould on the window frames, the leaking shower head that drenched the floor, no hairdrier in the room you have to ask at reception. Décor shabby.
First night had dinner in the hotel, very basic menu best choice fish and chips although we were a little baffled by the side dish of boiled potatoes, carrots and peas!!
Breakfast what a joy...full English, local sausage,, local supermarket more like, but with the benefit of a daily special, whilst we were there we enjoyed the addition of mushrooms, then a quarter slice of fried bread with its own pool of oil and finally a hash brown. The waitress greets you with a cheery "what's your room number" The restaurant has ropes of cobwebs in the window. Staff sat on the hotel steps for a fag! The bar was a barn of a place not staffed the receptionist doubled up as barman and duty manager.
Customer service is not high on the list, but the view from room 310 is wonderful - you can see the sea which was the only saving grace of this hotel which I think was once full of Victorian grandeur but is now faded, tired, grubby and lacklustre. Run by Grand Hotels - grand it certainly isn't.

Room Tip: Room 310 overlooks the sea
2 Thank haggiz
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for taking time to write your review after your recent stay with us although I was a little perplexed with it, firstly you say you travelled as a couple and occupied Room 310, this is a single room, and we would not put two guests in a single room, secondly room 310 does not have a radio. That said, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time here as your review is at odds with the majority of others that have stayed here at The Nelson. My staff are always cheerful, always going that extra mile to ensure guest satisfaction and the reviews back this up. Our breakfast option is always commented on, especially our fresh Lowestoft Smoked Kippers that we offer. As you say the views from the top floor of the Hotel are magnificent.

Travellers are raving about these Great Yarmouth hotels

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I stayed in room 302 and were very disappointed by our by our stay at The Nelson Hotel. We had read previous reviews on tripadvisor and knew that the hotel was a "work in progress". We'd expected our room to be tired (which it was). But not dirty! It looked like the room hadn't been cleaned properly for a long time. The carpet was filthy (it needed a good hover), the dado rails were covered in dust and there were loads of cobwebs round the bathroom ceiling. Not only that but the toilet isn't fixed to the floor properly and wobbles when you sit on it. The mattress is six inches bigger than the base of the bed so you have to be careful not to sleep too close to the edge. The kettle leaked and there was no hair drier. But to top it all off as we were leaving the room to check out, we noticed the piles of neatly folded clean bedding and towels lying on the dirty carpet outside the rooms. We know it was clean and waiting to go on beds as the cleaner knocked wanting to clean the room just before we left it. They weren't bagged or wrapped, just laying on the floor outside the rooms. My wife was so disgusted that she complained to the receptionist about it. Never in all the years of staying in hotels have we seen clean linen lying on the floor outside rooms. We had been looking forward to our stay but came away very disappointed. The only thing we enjoyed was the sea view.

Room Tip: If you're given room 302 ask for another room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us and I apologise that things were not up to the high standard that I set my staff. Clearly there were issues during your stay and I can assure you that steps have been taken to rectify the issues you raised. This does seem to be a one off, for some reason, as can been seen from previous reviews. although that is not an excuse. Again many thanks for highlighting these issues.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Having booked a night at the nelson through Booking . Com,
We was pleasantly surprised when we booked in, we was booked into a family room, seeing there was only two of us,we had loads of room
The room was well lived in, but very comfortable, with every amienity,we didn't eat there personally, but it all looked tasty and affordablethe in house was open all day and late
We loved the place, will certainly be going back

Stayed June 2014
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to write your review after your recent stay and I am pleased that you enjoyed your overnight stay. The Nelson is a work in progress with regard to our refurbishment programme which is continuing at pace. It is hoped to complete more bedrooms prior to the summer and some more of the public areas. Thank you again for your review.
London
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Last weekend we went to Great Yarmouth to celebrate my husband's birthday as he wanted a proper Fish and Chips by the Sea....

I saw an offer for a suite at this Hotel for only £55 and decided to book it as I'm quite an early bird and when one is stuck in a single room there is not a lot of freedom. The Hotel rooms are being renovated, and our suite had new leather sofas and an extremely comfortable mattress, drapes over the head of the bed. Very traditional decoration, and some small issues due to humidity being so close to the sea. The bathroom would do well with some regrouting, but nothing really major.

The extra room was fantastic, as I could get up early and leave him sleeping in the bedroom. Nice cup of coffee while watching some telly until the sleepyhead showed up.

Nice to have 2 basins in the bathroom, and Jacuzzi, as well as a bidet. My only negative was the carpet in the bathroom, as I think that vinyl would be much hygienic and easier to keep in good condition.

I think we had the Elizabethan Suite, 330, side view but still to the Parade. Nice location, right for all the touristic attractions but we had a quite night. Excellent seafront position.

Room Tip: Very comfy bed, renovated décor, Elizabethan Suite 330. It's at the very end of a corridor, so t...
1 Thank evamarLondon
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to write your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also pleased that you appreciate the work that is being carried out here at The Nelson, which is still ongoing, with the hope of completing more bedrooms this year. The three Suites, all of which have had work and new furniture in them, are proving extremely popular, especially when the rates are dropped to encourage more visitors. Again many thanks for your review.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Thanks to John and his team for making us feel so welcome, food really nice , hotel clean and tidy couldn't ask for any more . Always a pleasure to come away and stay at The Nelson Hotel Only thing we could of asked for is a bit of sunshine ! Will see you again next year for our annual visit in May. Kim

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to write your review after your recent stay and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your short break. It was a pleasure having you and your family with us again this year and I look forward to your return in 2015. As for the weather, I will see what I can do for you.......
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for a week in July 2013. Was OK overall and no serious complaints to make. Smoked fish for breakfast was stunning so well done for that. Staff helpful and location is very good. Would recommend it though the hotel was full of old people. We like it quiet so fine but not so much for a more boisterous young family. Booked this through booking.com which sent the wrong order detail to hotel. Spotted this in the confirmation email. Called hotel who were great at sorting it out, getting the correct room type sorted and gave us a sea view room with no fuss, so well done for fixing the problem caused by booking.com.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HK_Lozzo
Thank you for your review and, although your stay was last year, I am pleased that we were able to satisfy your needs even though Booking.Com made an error with your booking.