“Good stay”
Review of The Nelson Hotel

The Nelson Hotel
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

The room were nice and had a good weekend, found the lady on the reception rude. We went to the restaurant and the lady working in there was really friendly and polite & the food is good value for money. probably wouldn't stay there again, Location was good at night as was able to go to the arcades and the town. Also asked for a fan on the first night and didn't get one until the last night when really they should have one for every room!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Gemmamay94
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you found one of my staff rude, although this seems to be a one off as most of the comments about my staff are very complimentary. We were unable to supply an extra fan as they were is use in other bedrooms although it was supplied as one became available.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I was part of a group of 30 bowlers who spent a week at the hotel during a very hot week in July, where air-conditioning would have been marvellous. However it was not to be, but the hotel gave us great service, good food and it was comfortable. The hotel is well positioned over-looking the sandy beaches on Marine Parade, but somewhat surrounded by a vast array of fast food outlets & amusement arcades, if you like that sort of thing. The town is about 20 minutes away, but if you walk away from the beach area and head for the harbour area, South Quay, there is an entirely different world to explore. Various museums, interesting places like Gt.Yarmouth Potteries and a vast array of properties in the Heritage Quarter of South Quay.
The hotel does have the benefit of a large amount of free parking right outside, which is a bonus and help with your luggage is included.

Room Tip: A room on the front of the hotel & sea facing is good as you have the benefit of a constant sea...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for writing your review after your recent stay with us and I am pleasedt evrything was to your liking. It was a pleasure having your Bowls Team here with us and I know they all enjoyed themselves.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Spent a lovely couple of nights here for our anniversary. The staff were very pleasant & the food was very good. Yes - the hotel is a bit tired, but it is a 3 * victorian hotel. It was clean & tidy. If you want a 5 * service in 5* rooms - then book a 5 * hotel and leave these quaint seaside hotels alone ! We were unexpectadly upgraded to a suite which was lovely. The location was perfect - opposite Sealife & on the seafront. We will definately go back again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for your recent review and I am pleased that everything was to your liking. We feel that we offer good value for money compared to other establishments on Great Yarmouth seafront which is why we are extremely popular with both coach parties and private guests alike.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel as part of a coach tour with Grand Uk,owners of this hotel.Attic room allocated was clean,shower was challenging with hot water variable.Wash basin plug was in two pieces,bathroom had two broken tiles at bottom of wall.Lounge area was pleasant with armchairs etc.Food,breakfast had good selection with cereals and hot and cold selection.Dinner, 3 course choice plus coffee.Quality varied,soup usually poor roast dinner good,portions of fresh veg large.serving staff varied most days waiting time about 25mins from ordering.

Room Tip: Top floors quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank frank t

Thank you for taking time to write your review and in the main I believe that you enjoyed yourself. I feel we do offer good value for money compared to other establishments on Great Yarmouth seafront.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Well I booked this hotel in advance as I was only staying over for 1 night and the rate was really good with a sea view from my room.
I must admit with previous comments that the hotel is in DESPERATE need of re-modernising and a lick of paint in itself would be great to freshen up a very tired building.
In addition the carpets in the room did appear to be dirty and the windows were filthy. The view from my room made it all worth while though.
Also rooms on the front are quite noisy with the constant passing traffic and people out on the streets, which you would expect.
I only had breakfast during my stay as this was included in the price. Was greeted by staff with your "Room No" upon entering the restaurant.
Overall would I stay again....no I would have to give this place a miss as cleanliness is high priority on my list.
Such a shame as this hotel has the real potential to be a great place stay with customers returning.
On the plus side: Free parking directly outside hotel with no limits, sea views, great location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank pimms29
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking time to write your review after your recent stay. I agree wholeheartedly that the Hotel has great potential and with the rolling programme of refurbishment that I currently have in place, most of the potential will be achieved. The down side is that this takes time, and money of course, and without passing the cost onto the customer, most of the refurbishment is being carried out 'in house' which is a much slower method than just closing the doors to all guests and doing the work that way. I have been able to get 19 bedrooms completed and quite a few of the public areas and more work is planned for the remainder of this month. I believe we offer great value for money considering our location and by keeping the rates at a reaonable level, compared to other establishments on the seafront, our occupancy is very good.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

A weekend away...the room was dirty, thick dust on the radio, mould on the window frames, the leaking shower head that drenched the floor, no hairdrier in the room you have to ask at reception. Décor shabby.
First night had dinner in the hotel, very basic menu best choice fish and chips although we were a little baffled by the side dish of boiled potatoes, carrots and peas!!
Breakfast what a joy...full English, local sausage,, local supermarket more like, but with the benefit of a daily special, whilst we were there we enjoyed the addition of mushrooms, then a quarter slice of fried bread with its own pool of oil and finally a hash brown. The waitress greets you with a cheery "what's your room number" The restaurant has ropes of cobwebs in the window. Staff sat on the hotel steps for a fag! The bar was a barn of a place not staffed the receptionist doubled up as barman and duty manager.
Customer service is not high on the list, but the view from room 310 is wonderful - you can see the sea which was the only saving grace of this hotel which I think was once full of Victorian grandeur but is now faded, tired, grubby and lacklustre. Run by Grand Hotels - grand it certainly isn't.

Room Tip: Room 310 overlooks the sea
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank haggiz
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for taking time to write your review after your recent stay with us although I was a little perplexed with it, firstly you say you travelled as a couple and occupied Room 310, this is a single room, and we would not put two guests in a single room, secondly room 310 does not have a radio. That said, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time here as your review is at odds with the majority of others that have stayed here at The Nelson. My staff are always cheerful, always going that extra mile to ensure guest satisfaction and the reviews back this up. Our breakfast option is always commented on, especially our fresh Lowestoft Smoked Kippers that we offer. As you say the views from the top floor of the Hotel are magnificent.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I stayed in room 302 and were very disappointed by our by our stay at The Nelson Hotel. We had read previous reviews on tripadvisor and knew that the hotel was a "work in progress". We'd expected our room to be tired (which it was). But not dirty! It looked like the room hadn't been cleaned properly for a long time. The carpet was filthy (it needed a good hover), the dado rails were covered in dust and there were loads of cobwebs round the bathroom ceiling. Not only that but the toilet isn't fixed to the floor properly and wobbles when you sit on it. The mattress is six inches bigger than the base of the bed so you have to be careful not to sleep too close to the edge. The kettle leaked and there was no hair drier. But to top it all off as we were leaving the room to check out, we noticed the piles of neatly folded clean bedding and towels lying on the dirty carpet outside the rooms. We know it was clean and waiting to go on beds as the cleaner knocked wanting to clean the room just before we left it. They weren't bagged or wrapped, just laying on the floor outside the rooms. My wife was so disgusted that she complained to the receptionist about it. Never in all the years of staying in hotels have we seen clean linen lying on the floor outside rooms. We had been looking forward to our stay but came away very disappointed. The only thing we enjoyed was the sea view.

Room Tip: If you're given room 302 ask for another room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
JohnRushworth01, General Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us and I apologise that things were not up to the high standard that I set my staff. Clearly there were issues during your stay and I can assure you that steps have been taken to rectify the issues you raised. This does seem to be a one off, for some reason, as can been seen from previous reviews. although that is not an excuse. Again many thanks for highlighting these issues.