“Villa Rose Hotel Gt Yarmouth”
Review of Villa Rose Hotel

Villa Rose Hotel
Villa Rose Hotel
Ranked #89 of 99 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2013

stayed for one night, but luckily i did'nt book longer.
terrible to find a parking space
when you first walk in there is a musky smell then you have to walk up the stairs which has bad lights then into a dark hallway.
the room did'nt look to bad to start but then the wife used the en-suite toilet and the toilet roll holder fell off the wall and then the door handle came of in my hand, i used the kettle only to find there was no socket near the kettle so i had to put the kettle on the floor to use the socket
the breakfast was actually quite nice (not enough though for your money)
i have tried this hotel and i won't be going back

Room Tip: book elsewhere
2  Thank Paul F

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Booked to stay in the cavendish but they put us in a room here instead. It is slightly better than the cavendish. It was lighter and had a reception but all the stairwells were very dark. The room looked lovely on first arrival but was on the top floor with lots of stairs. The bathroom was miniscule and contained a toilet and a shower. The sink was in the main room. There was only one towel each and no hand towels. There bed was so soft I spent all night thinking I was going to roll off the edge. They advertised that they had a bar but it was in their sister hotel, the cavendish. Please see other review. Would I stay here again, never.

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay
1  Thank mumovone
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed while visiting family for a couple of nights. Really convenient for sea front and town. Lovely large room - double and two singles - with tv and tea/coffee facilities and en suite shower room. Breakfast good value and nothing was too much trouble. Tables and chairs out front so smokers don't have to stand on the pavement outside. Only downer was trying to get parking despite buying the resident permit we knew we'd have to buy.
Really pleased with what we got for what we paid and the owners couldn't have been more friendly or helpful.

Room Tip: Room 1 was spacious with a double and two singles and the shower wasn't bad.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2013

, We stayed at the Villa Rose recently. Villa Rose Great Yarmouth exceeded all our expectations. The owners and staff are first class, nothing is too much trouble. We cant wait to return, it'll be like going home! Thank you

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed at this 'Hotel' from Friday to Sunday. When we first arrived we were told we needed to pay for a parking permit. I refused to do this as I had called up a week before to ask about parking and was told by a man it was ok, I would be issued with a permit on arrival. Money was never mentioned. They decided to give us a permit due to being mis-informed so extra points for this!! We managed to park on the street out side which was great. This needs to be readdressed. We were taken to a room on the third floor which was ok (room 14). Beware, the door needs to be slammed!! It was ok decorated, a green colour with a canopy on the wall above the bed. A SMALL flat screen tv showed 2 channels but ive read other rooms got freeview boxes?? The curtains felt damp which surprised me as it was in the middle of the heatwave. The room was VERY hot as only the two small side windows opened. The 'bathroom' was a cupboard with a toliet and a shower. You could sit on the loo and wash your feet in the shower at the same time.... I could actually hear my husband breathing through the door!! Not very romantic!!!! There are toilets/shower rooms dotted along the landings tho so if you are in a rush and both need to shower this is great. Again, extra points!! There was tea and coffee making facilities in the room and a separate sink. This is called a hotel but I really think this should be changed to B&B.. it would save some misunderstandings. The staff were a bit odd...... a Thai mum/cleaner/receptionist, her daughter/receptionist and a small son who tried to 'deal with us' at one point!! Really??? They were polite enough. People have complained that it is not sea-front.... well, its as close a dammit and if we looked to the right from our room window we could easily see the sea. I have trouble walking far and it took us about 3 mins to reach the pier. We didn't eat here so cannot comment on this. When you ring the bell for reception, you have to wait ages for someone to come. I think my £110 could have been better spent elsewhere.

Room Tip: Room 14 was big enough for 2!
1  Thank an9els
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed here for one night with my husband and daughter and my parents for a little break to Great Yarmouth.

The parking is irritating especially at the weekend when it's so busy. You have to buy a residents permit from hotel at the cost of £3 for 24 hours (24 hours from the time you arrive not midnight to midnight) but that's presuming you can find a parking space. My dad is disabled and can't walk far so we had to drop him off at the hotel and then my mum and hubby to go and find somewhere to park. If you can't find somewhere.....tough.

The owners who I think are Thai are, I think friends. I say that because I never saw a man just two woman, a teenager and a kid. They are very friendly and welcoming but we found them a little overbearing - offering to carry my 3 year old up the stairs for example. And it was very very hard to understand what they were saying so we often resorted to smiling and nodding which was a bit uncomfortable.

The hotel only have one room downstairs which my parents needed as my dad can't manage stairs. This room seems to be in the same area as where the owners live - you have to go through the laundry room etc and out into a back courtyard but their room looked clean and comfortable. Ok for a night or two.

We were shown up to our room and what a contrast. Up the top of a flight of stairs with a creaky floorboard - I can't say I held up much hope. But when we opened the door....a massive room. With a double bed, two single beds and a bathroom. And the double bed had a canopy over it - not a four poster bed but very nice. Also decorated very modern. Flat screen TV with a freeview box.

The bathroom was ok. There were a couple of dead flies behind the door that they'd obviously missed when cleaning but not horrific. I was looking forward to a nice strong powerful shower and was sorely disappointed. A dribble came out - not good. Also overheard at breakfast another guest complaining about the shower. So obviously not an isolated incident.

Breakfast in the morning was a bit disorganized. Every breakfast table was full and there was one girl taking orders and restocking the bread, milk, jam etc. Also one toaster holding 4 slices of bread meant long queues. It also wasn't clear where everything was as different things were dotted round the room. The tea and coffee urns were one place, the orange juice another etc.

We did get asked if we wanted a full English breakfast but it seemed to cause a problem when we asked to make a couple of small changes to the breakfast (no bacon etc) and it took a good few minutes to get the girl to understand what we wanted.

It was a pleasant stay and looking at the run down condition (and the clientele!) at the other B&B's on the same road, if I had to return to Great Yarmouth I'd probably stay there again but to be fair I wouldn't go back to Great Yarmouth unless I had to!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank singingsister
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed for one night after attending a music festival in Southwold. The location was good. On street parking was available but busy, with a permit from the guest house for £5 for 24 hrs. The rooms were spotless with new beds and clean linen. Towels were in short supply but If we'd bothered to ask we would have been given some but we were only in the place for a sleep!!. All the staff were friendly albeit a bit vague but very welcoming.Breakfast was good and lots of toast and cereal. We paid £75 for a family room which was actually 2 rooms with a connecting door and an en-suite double. Plenty of tea and coffee, for that price inc breakfast it was a bargain.
There are some negative comments on here which I feel are not totally fair at the end of the day it's a guest house NOT a hotel. It's much cleaner and more comfortable than any Travelodge I've stayed in. So what the curtains and carpets don't match and it's all a bit cobbled together, It was clean and comfy. And I didn't see one cobweb!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family