“Not 'luxury' but I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this.”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Solihull, UK
“Not 'luxury' but I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this.”
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I stayed at the hotel with my wife for 3 nights.
Overlooking the beach and the sea, this 4-star hotel was named Hotel of the Year in the Greater Yarmouth Tourist Authority Awards and offers a high standard of accommodation, food and service. The Imperial Hotel is an independent luxury hotel, managed by the owners.
We arrived on Friday afternoon and our first impression was not good. The Car Park at the side of the hotel is not large and the turning circles are tight. When busy you have to back out the way you have come. The entrance on street level is at the side of the building, off a small patio area, under a canopy and has the feeling of being an ‘afterthought’ after they built a dining area out on to the street at first floor level out to the street frontage which dominates the front of the building. You are then confronted with a small ‘roundabout’ door that is very small – I got our case stuck twice! You are then confronted with a flight of stairs up to the reception area. They have helpfully provided a stair lift for those guests who have difficulty climbing stairs. In fairness, on their website they do alert you to this – ‘For people with disabilities, please call the hotel first to discuss particular needs, especially with regard to access. There is a stair lift to reception and stepped access to all levels.’
Then you turn into the Reception area which is darkly furnished and cramped to the Reception Desk. The welcome was good and efficient. And very positively, when we returned to the hotel after our first walk out, the receptionist remembered who we were and without asking our name presented us with our key – well done! To access your room you are faced with stairs, quite steep and narrow, or an old fashioned self-operated lift. To access that, there are 3 stairs up from the Reception area. The lift is cramped – my wife and I and one case filled it and it is slow.
Our room was on the first floor at the side of the hotel with a glimpse of the sea and the local recreation ground by craning our necks out of the bedroom window. Access stairs and corridors are very a little cramped, wood clad, with pale carpets and a ‘old fashioned’ feeling.
Our room was 5m x 4m with a tiny access corridor, containing the wardrobe into the Bathroom which was 2m x 2m. The room was darkly decorated with a very high ceiling, and what appeared to be a very new dark green carpet. The Bathroom was tiled in the lower part with pale green tiles. The Bedroom contained a double bed with a single bed, dressing table with chair, occasional armchair, trouser press and luggage stand. The hospitality tray was located in the luggage stand. The television was flat screen (freeview). My wife found the mirror a bit small, and was agitated that the hair dryer was fixed in a dressing table draw. The Bathroom had a shower over the bath, a small wash hand basin, but lovely fluffy white towels and plentiful good quality toiletries.
Overall we thought the room was very clean (one stray hair in the wash hand basin on our arrival), and it was well serviced (however, it is a bit boring to be provided with the same biscuits every day!), the bed was very comfortable and we slept very well, the alarm call was spot on time, the curtains provided a good level of black out, but I thought the lighting levels were poor and needed improvement.
We breakfasted at the hotel each day. This is taken in the dining room off the Reception area and you can eat in the sea facing extension, the weather was great while we there and so we took advantage of this, at one stage it was so hot we had to move into the stage. Unusually this hotel retains service for all breakfast courses. The menu offers a choice of 6 starters including fruit juice, cereals or a fruit bowl. We choose a Breakfast Sundae – a cocktail of fruit compote, yoghurt, muesli and drizzled honey – which was excellent. The hot choices included Yarmouth Bloater (ordered 24 hours in advance, an ‘Imperial’ Breakfast and Kippers, Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs or Eggs Benedict. You can also choose bespoke items. Also croissants or toast are offered.
We found all of our food well prepared and tasty. Coffee was served in a cafeteria though I chose a cappuccino that was disappointing The service was generally good though we couldn’t help but notice a difference on Monday when a different Manageress was on duty with some different staff. Service was noticeably slower and tables were being cleared while some guests waited to be served. One thing I found charming and considerate was member of staff wore a badge explaining she was hard of hearing and requesting guests to speak clearly. Well done!!!
To gain access to the internet wi-fi you have to get access codes from Reception.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now, each visit in one of the wine themed rooms. Whilst these rooms are clean, with comfortable beds and ensuite bathrooms and all with tea/coffee making facilities and sea views, I have to be honest and say they really now could do with a bit of a make over to freshen them up. That said, it would not cause me to stay elsewhere. The staff are efficient, friendly and helpful presenting a good professional image. The Cru restaurant is equally first class and the food is extremely good - again the restaurant staff are attentive and project a willingness to please under the direction of Jill.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank besparky
Buntingford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Decided to take my 10yr old son for a weekend of arcades, mini golf and the beach. Having spent many childhood years in Yarmouth it was the ideal choice. After reading the reviews for this hotel and noting its perfect location I booked two rooms (grand parents tagged along) over the phone with a highly professional member of the hotel team.

I should admit now that I am extremely fussy but I am happy to pay for quality and class. I’m pleased to say that this Hotel did not disappoint, exceptionally clean throughout and very comfortable.

On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly and professional member of staff who checked us in.

My room was a good size twin with traditional decor and fantastic sea views, if I were being picky then I could say that the bathroom is due an update in my particular room, my parents room however was newly refurbished albeit a bit smaller. Overall the rooms were spotless, comfortable, well equipped and a pleasure to occupy.

The onsite restaurant "Cafe Cru" is a fantastic place to eat, the food is great with an extensive selection of wines. The restaurant staff are also highly professional whilst being very friendly.

The breakfast was fantastic and cooked to order, we were served by another exceptional team of Hotel staff.

For those of you who are particular about your cars and where you leave them the hotel car park is CCTV monitored by reception, although if you have a large car then best park in the left hand row.

I highly recommend this Hotel, I will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2011
5 Thank LlordB
UK
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Lovely stay at the imperial on bank holiday Monday. Very clean and well maintained room on the third floor overlooking the race track. A pleasure to be in the hotel. I was amazed at how nice the hotel was as I was unsure about going to Great Yarmouth at all. Dinner in the restaurant was amazing with great service and breakfast the next morning in the breakfast room was luxurious with waiter service and breakfast cooked to order and brought to your table with real freshly squeezed orange juice. Staff were happy to recommend places to visit. With last minute rooms this was a bit of last minute luxury only a couple of hours from London

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

• Stayed January 2011
2 Thank Magpiey80
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Stayed here with hubby and some friends for two nights. The rooms are quite small but adequate and clean. We had a lovely sea view although the weather was'nt too good but it did'nt spoil a nice weekend. the bed was lovely and confortable and there was plenty of big white towels in the bathroom. The breakfast is excellent - everything you would want. We would definately stay here if we come to Yarmouth again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank pansypotter-7
Algiers
Reviewed 2 November 2010

My stay was in March 2006.
I have been in this Hotel for business, the first thing that attracted me is the very good service in the breakfast, 2 old ladies care about you as their sons.
The reception was very friendly as well.
The Hotel is an old property with an old fashioned lift, but it is very clean and it has a special charm.
I was very pleased with this Hotel, nothing bad.
Another thing, the food is excellent, the service perfect.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business