Lowest prices for your stay
£60
Fully refundable before Thu, 30 May
Priceline
Go to your Happy Price
eDreams
Susan M

Good hotel.

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Apr 2024
Enjoyed our stay staff were lovely only downside was the shower in our room, very small and hard to control temperature. Would have liked more choice at breakfast, more cereals and perhaps yoghurt and fruit. Need more sockets near the bed for phone charging
Date of stay: April 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
The Kensington
    £56
0.5 miles from The Waverley Hotel
View more hotels in Great Yarmouth
All reviews coach trip sea front meal times single room plenty of hot water town centre britannia pier monday to friday tea and coffee my mum permit entertainment break thursford caledonian seafront television
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 April 2024

Rooms were okay for the price we paid. We moved the beds together as we accidently booked a twin instead of a double. The carpet was dirty where the beds had been. Would not expect the beds to be moved after every guest but there was a reindeer earring and bits of tinsel - Christmas was over 4 months ago!
The bar was not open at all during our stay and there was no sign of breakfast so not sure if this is something reserved for coach trips? It didn't really bother us as we wanted to explore but worth noting if you are wanting to eat on site.
Room was warm enough and plenty of hot water. Bathroom could do with a bit of TLC.
The outside area was okay but the street where the hotel is was FULL of rubbish and run down premises - would not feel safe walking back to this hotel on my own or with female friends.
Parking permit is provided and completed online by the hotel for on-street parking. This is on a first come first served basis and we managed to park right outside the hotel.

Reviewed 29 March 2024

This is an Indian owned and run recently refurbished Hotel very near the sea front yet quiet. The rooms are clean and adequate. We had to move allocated rooms because the fan from the kitchen was very noisy and caused resonance in the room. I am writing as part of a group so the experiences of individual travelers may vary but there is nothing wrong with the location and you are on the seafront within two minutes of leaving the hotel. The management is attentive and will deal with things positively

Room tip: change your room if it is unsuitable. They will do so if they can.
Reviewed 25 March 2024

We should have stayed in this hotel as part of a National Holidays tour. We were moved at the last minute to a hotel near by. I contacted National to check that we had the same terms and conditions ie entertainment and special bar prices. This was confirmed as so. However, when I went over to the hotel for the entertainment we were told we had to pay full price for drinks despite being assured originally by the bar man as we were part of the coach party and that national offer included us. When we tried to buy drinks we had no coloured bracelet so were denied the offer. The manager was dismissive to the point of being rude. Hence we did not go into the bar or have the entrainment that was part of our booked holiday.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Aman Khanna, General Manager at The Waverley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2024

Dear AnitaM1960,
Thank you for taking out time to write about the discussion we had. Actually The Waverley Hotel and the hotel across where you were staying are two different hotels and different managements. Even though you travelled on the same coach, the deal for each hotel is different with the holiday company. The reason for giving the coloured band is so that only guests who are booked with us under this deal avail the promotional bar. I do not know why the company person you spoke with said that you could come and avail the same deal at ours because you were not staying at The Waverley Hotel. Even this review should not be written by a guest who has not stayed here. My Bar person said you could use the promotional bar because you said you were from the coach, so he understood you were a part of the coach staying at The Waverley Hotel, and that's the reason he asked you to show the coloured band, since you didn't have one, he guided you to me where I explained you exactly what I have written above.
I was very polite in explaining the deal and that the other hotel is a completely different hotel and it cannot be the same deal. You were most welcome to enjoy the entertainment at ours, but the bar deal was purely for the residents at The Waverley Hotel.
However, I would still like to apologize for the inconvenience caused and the confusion you had because of the comments made by the Holiday company staff who gave you incorrect information.
Many Thanks

Reviewed 12 December 2023

My stay was in room 212 and, had I not read that the hotel had been refurbished I wouldn’t have known!
Everywhere is painted in the same shade of 1980’s dark brown.
The lift holds 3 people on the ground floor but only 2 people by the time it reaches the second floor!
There are dark brown tables covered in tablecloths and ill fitting cheap covers on chairs that didn’t need covering in the bar, all that was missing for that true 1980’s look was melted candles in wine bottles!
The 80’s style Christmas decorations were a treat.

So the good points:

First and foremost was the fab bunch of ladies on our dining table (along with a few others we spoke to over the weekend too you know who you are) to all you ladies…‘thank you for the laughs and the banter, it was a pleasure to meet you all’.
Next up is Winter, the best and most helpful member of dining room staff we met.
The manager was also pleasant and corrected my complaint (we’ll come to that in the bad points) the same day, thank you for that.

Bad points:

I had a cracked plug socket which had an electric heater plugged in and turned on in it! Now we all know a cracked plug socket is a fire / death trap and to his credit the manager had it changed straightaway but, the worrying thing is, I wouldn’t have seen it if I hadn’t removed the heater plug to charge my phone. (I later found another socket hidden behind the bedside chest of drawers.)
The heating is on the blink, none of the radiators worked in any of the rooms in room 212 side of the hotel, although the hall radiator did (figure that one out!) then on 202 side of the hotel the rooms were like furnaces and people were unable to turn the radiators down and despite asking for someone to look at them, nothing improved.
The hotel revamp has been done on the cheap - Simple things like installing the cover to hide the rusty screws on the toilet roll holder, changing damaged shower heads, replacing old rusty taps and making sure televisions, telephones and pictures are straight instantly make the place look better as does good hygiene, which at first glance seemed to be OK until you look behind the toilet and under the tap.
What were those random electric cables outside the bathroom window for?
Let’s not talk about the strange gunk on the table lamp!
The mattresses are very cheap sprung mattresses which pinged everytime you moved! My room was so small that there was no space for a chair but I found sitting on the bedside drawers was more comfortable than sitting on the bed.
The remote control and telephone and the windows could also do with a good clean.
My friend has a disability and requested a room suitable for a disabled person, she was given one on the second floor and had to navigate a number of steps to reach it!
Room security is a door chain!
The corridors were narrow to extremely narrow in places and the one of the toilets in the ground floor ladies loos had the same skid mark in it 3 days running!
The emergency escape plan is written in 8pt font making it very difficult to read!
At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I didn’t appreciate the yellow toilet gift housekeeping left for me.
The lady with the short ‘blonde’ hair working in the dining room was defensive and a little bit angry after being asked if the food was home cooked or frozen and, as we’re talking about the food….

The menu was a choice of 2 courses the first night (top tip go for the sausage and mash - the mash might look like school mash but it tastes better than it looks and the sausage’s and gravy were delicious) followed by rice pudding and ice cream, the rice pudding is NOT made from pudding rice! The second night was Christmas dinner followed by Black Forest gateaux or ice cream!! After the sausages we all had high expectations for the Christmas dinner, sadly we were disappointed, the garlic potatoes and frozen Brussels sprouts were overcooked and the turkey was very dry, the gravy was good though…. Then came dessert, they bought me Black Forest gateaux, I had ordered ice cream (did I mention you have to choose your evening meal at breakfast? Well, you do!) so they went away and bought me my ice cream which it turns out is pre-scooped into serving bowls en masse and then placed uncovered back into the freezer ready to be served sometime in the future!
The 1980’s stainless style steel bowls were another blast from the past!
After such a disaster of a Christmas dinner most of our table boycotted the next evening meal, much to the disgust of blondie! Strangely after 2 nights of 2 main meal choices and having to line up like school kids to be served, the 3rd night had 4 (FOUR!!!) main meal choices which was brought to you served up on posh square plates (strangely they didn’t use the good plates for the Christmas dinner) unless….you were having the lasagne, which you had to queue up to have served on the old scratched school style plates!
Breakfast was OK, poached and scrambled egg on request, the jury was out whether the scrambled egg was made from real or powdered eggs. The bacon was tough. There’s melon, served up in slices rather than chunks, no other fruit was available.
You’re not trusted to use the toaster yourself, someone does it for you!
The bar opened at different times and carried a limited choice if your favourite tipple ran out tough, there was no spare stock to replace it, the coke was poured flat, from a bottle.
To surmise, the hotel has potential and, when it was AA rated way back in 2019, it probably looked better but to do it justice now it needs some money spent on modern furniture, better mattresses, the heating and a replacement lift that doesn’t have the potential of trapping your clothes / fingers / luggage if you inadvertently lean anything on it as it moves! The damp also needs to be addressed.
I’m leaving this review because the manager came onto the bus to ask us to leave a review so here’s mine, I hope he reads it and considers making the changes mentioned.
It was nice that he waved us off.

I’ve added a few holiday snaps for your enjoyment!

Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2023

The hotel was clean and staff welcoming.
Our twin room was big but after 2 nights I was on first name terms with EVERY SPRING in the beds.

The breakfast was OK but the evening meal was like a trip back to 1970s. It was a taster session for Iceland frozen foods.
The rice pudding was basmati rice in warm milk with sugar.
The Christmas Dinner was brown; meat, Yorkshire (frozen), stuffing ball (frozen) new potato's, described as roasted but they were like chocolate eggs and sprouts with bacon, they were mush that had spent so much time in the warmer they were discoloured so they were brown too and gravy. No Christmas pudding, we got black forest gateaux or ice cream

Date of stay: December 2023