“Museum visit”

Historic Smokehouse - Great Yarmouth Potteries
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This place is a must if you are in Great Yarmouth, they people are very friendly and will go out of their way tohelp and you can also have pottery ca.lsses

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This place just has to been seen to be believed! It is not what we were expecting at all! I think all the previous reviews have just about covered everything, except what a feast for the senses this living museum is! Sights, sounds and smells of days gone by.
The staff are so dedicated and Ernie is loved and revered by all. We visited on Halloween and I bought a mug with witches and pumpkins on to remind me of this wonderful place.
Just a tip: We used our TomTom to locate the museum, and entered the postcode. You will end up on the wrong side of the wall and there is no entrance from there. Just walk around the front where the entrance is clearly signed.

Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

If you have never visited before, be prepared for a surprise! This is a great collection of allsorts, mostly maritime based. And is housed in an old herring smoke actually built using the wood recovered from shipwrecks built into the historic Town walls. And if that isn't enough to entice you, the owner (Ernie, a very pleasant chap) is an artist/potter and the museum also houses Great Yarmouth Potteries with great studio/kiln facilities. Just across the road from the Time & Tide museum, the two museums give a great insight into the wealth of heritage of Great Yarmouth.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is the hidden gem of Yarmouth. We walked in and immediately felt like we had entered a pirates treasure trove, the place is steeped in history and beautiful artefacts of the sea. My friend and I went there for a pottery course and have fallen in love with the place, we are going back to experience the other courses. After making our jug and mug with Ernie, who is a wonderful warm humoured teacher, we enjoyed a cup of tea made by Karen in the little courtyard surrounded by anchors and hag stones, it really is a feast for the eyes. We didn't want to leave so took a tour around the museum, my goodness the herring smoking room smells wonderful, you are encouraged to touch and feel the many treasures and Ernie proudly showed us the many things they have found, which included a wooly mammoth tooth! My friend and I giggled like girls when we got one of the fog horns to parp, it was so loud we jumped! It was one of those experiences that leave a smile engrained on your face and a yearning for more. When we did eventually leave we then got fish and chips on the front and a had a few games on the attractions, I can honestly say this was one of the best days I have had in such a long time, thank you Ernie and Karen!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

This place was very interesting! The staff were very friendly and the museum was very interesting with all the artefacts and the way the building was made out of old ship parts. Me and my partner loved making our clay mug and vase. Ernie was great. Recommend this to anyone. So much fun and great memories. Go ahead and book!!!!

2  Thank caej1993