“Nice place and OUTSTANDING service”
Review of The Star Hotel

The Star Hotel
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Winslow, United Kingdom
“Nice place and OUTSTANDING service”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We ate at the Star one evening when travelling through Great Yarmouth. The hotel is old fashioned looking but warmand comfortable and the food was nice but the service was really outstanding. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome, and were really appreciated.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Philmet1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a couple of times and while the building and rooms are not perfect, always quite liked the hotel. During my last stay they did let themselves down, firstly the helpful receptionist told me that the evening meal was served until 10 pm. At 9-30 the dining room was closed and the girl in the bar could only offer me a sandwich. I booked a wake up call for the following morning,but the night porter forgot to call me. What used to be an okay place to stay will soon lose my business unless things improve.

One last moan, the rooms do not have bath mats. I don't know why this should bother me but it did!

Room Tip: The front rooms overlook the main road which can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I was booked into this hotel for a work contract by someone else. I have never been so disappointed in a receptionist, she was bordering on rude. I realise I was quite late arriving (about 8.30pm), but it seemed like an inconvenience. Only one double socket in the bedroom of which only half of it worked. The socket was too far away from the mirror for me to reach with the hair dryer or charge my phone and have on bedside cabinet for the alarm. Noisy seagulls nesting near the room and noisy guests. Big disappointment!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

Not as good as it was, I understand the owners are new so need to give them time to settle in etc.
Service was slow and had to search for staff a couple of time.
The building and contents make up for it however so just a bit of extra training maybe and it will be as good as ever

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Tony E
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2013

i had my wedding reception at this hotel June 2012 i wasnt happy with the way i was treated at the original place i had booked so with 3 weeks to go till my wedding i looked around and found the star hotel had availablity for the date i required, Lloyd and his sister Tyko were so helpful, in the 3 weeks notice i gave them they organised a 3 course sit down meal for 60 guests and a buffet at night for 100 which the food was lovely the chef was very accomadating as we couldnt have pork and my sister is celiac, and they sorted out disco for us,would definately reccommend this place for a party/wedding all my guests went away happy , rooms were lovely. would definately hold a function here again

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank charleybird81
Belfast
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is our second time at the Star and whilst it is slightly dated in terms of décor, it has a lovely oak panel entrance with a roaring log fire, nice to sit and relax.
The bedroom was clean and tidy and well serviced, however, the shower was a challenge! It was very difficult to get the temperature and the flow correct.
The breakfasts were lovely with a good selection and choice. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TomFiona
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

my friend and I visited this hotel on 2oth of February 2013,It was very quiet but the entrance to the hotel was very welcoming .However when we went into the bar the young lady behind the bar was not very friendly and her attitude to the customer was very indifferent,she said "what do you want" when I went to the bar which is not what you want to hear when there was only one other person in the bar and you are there to spend money .My friend wanted to leave there and then but I persuaded her to stay ,we ordered lunch but only one of us could have scampi as they had run out,it was just after noon and there was nobody else having lunch ,so we compromised and changed it .To be fair the food was fine.I did not like to see used packets of mayonnaise left in the condiment jar on the table that should have been checked as the girl was not busy.I don't think we will be rushing back to the Star which is a shame as it is a lovely old building

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends