“Pleasant Nights stay”
Review of Marine Lodge

Marine Lodge
Ranked #36 of 99 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Stayed just 1 night. The service was pleasant as was the room (loved the shower). This was a quick stay so I can only rate on this. I would stay here again without a doubt. Perfect for the sea which is left from the front door and across the road.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 October 2012

We found this hotel by accident and because it had parking and was advertised from £58.00 we decided to give it a shot. The receptionist was incredibly rude and pedantic and unfriendly and we almost walked out before she finished our booking. We didnt because we were tired and didnt want to spend hours searching for another hotel.
The room was small, the bed uncomfortable , so bad that my husband has to have treatment for a back problem since he slept in it, the furniture tacky and the hairdryer in a difficult position.
We would not go back again mainly because of the reception, it put us off having breakfast, going to the bar or from staying for further nights. The best thing about the hotel was the location, but is that enough for a hotel nowadays ?

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 35scooter
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed for the weekend in a Premier Deluxe Room that has been recently refurbished in a contemporary style with good quality furnishings, a comfy very large bed and a flat screen TV. I was pleased that they provided complimentary tea, coffee, biscuits, water and chocolates. However, I was surprised that there were only 6 hangers in the wardrobe although there were plenty of drawers.

Our room had a side view of the sea which was lovely but directly overlooked a lap dancing club. We opened the windows on the first night but it was so noisy on the road during the night and early in the morning that we had to close them.

The bathroom has also been recently refurbished and has both a shower and jacuzzi bath. However, I'm not sure you would ever be able to use the bath as there was insufficient hot water for a shower let alone a large bath! My big complaint was that the shower had NO pressure, it got increasingly worse until it was a trickle, and the water was luke warm - insufficient to wash the shampoo out of your hair. It may have been because the hotel was full but it was still unsatisfactory. I also didn't like the paper bath mat, however the guest information sheet says that you can request a bath mat - unusual.....

Food was basic, but tasty and well presented. Service was ok - good in parts and disappointing in others. The management really need to invest in an industrial extractor fan to sort out the smell from the kitchen. It rises straight up the stairs, into the hall ways and into the rooms.

Overall, it was reasonable accommodation and I would return but only to stay in a Premier Room.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 9 September 2012

we have stayed at the marine lodge a few times in the past and really liked it but were a little dissappointed as you could only get snacks later in the day but now they serve meals up to 8pm which really made a difference as my husband is disabled. the food was 1st class all the staff were friendly the hotel was lovely and we are really looking forward to going back next year.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I've stayed at this hotel pretty much every year for the last 6 years. I've always been really impressed and have never considered staying anywhere else. We usually book well in advance so we can have a sea view room- preferably the premier option. However this year we booked with less than a week to go, but was really pleased to get a room a such short notice for me & my hubby to have a well deserved last minute break. Of course at such short notice we just got a standard double room which was located right by the lift. It was very noisy especially first thing in the morning 'first floor... going up... second floor... going down' and so on.

There was a horrendous smell when we first entered the room, which we established was coming from the bathroom. Thankfully the sewage smell vanished when the maid had been in on the first morning - if it hadn't we would have requested to move rooms.

At first sight the room looked nice and clean, but after I dropped my phone down the back of the bedside drawers I found a horrible build up of crumbs and dust between the carpet and skirting board. On our last day when packing and checking under the bed to make sure we hadn't left anything, we found a Malteser chocolate - which we hadn't had any of during our stay so I don't know how long it had been since somebody cleaned under the bed.

My final gripe is regarding the shower which didn't work well at all. It literally trickled water out and constantly changed from hot to cold - we couldn't get a happy medium. To top if off the shower head fell off the wall whilst I was having a shower, which was because the holder on the wall was not securely fastened.

However, the location of the hotel is great and the food is lovely. It's basic food but it's well prepared and is reasonably priced. The new day and evening menus are nice, but it's a pity we were the only ones in the dining room enjoying the lovely food.

We will return to this hotel, but will never book a standard room again - I guess you get what you pay for! We were disappointed this time, but we had a bargain break and spent most of our time out and about so it didn't impact our holiday at all.

Room Tip: Book a sea view premier room! More expensive than a typical double but worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sunshine_rainbow25
Reviewed 3 August 2012

,been comeing to great yarmouth for over 20yrs,and this is the best hotel i been in ,has i am disabled the room was a nice size,clean and comfortable. the bathroom was great it the first shower i had no trouble getting in and out off, the staffs very helpfull,looking forward to next year,room cleaned everyday ,a VERY NICE TO STAY

Room Tip: stayed in a disabled room very nice
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed at this Hotel after arriving at Great Yarmouth without a booking thinking it would be no trouble to book Sunday to Sunday, how wrong were we, however we fell on our feet with this Hotel, very clean standard double room, on top floor but Hotel had lift so no problem. Food was very good and we iiked the idea of paying for breakfast as you wanted it.we had our own key so we could come and go as we pleased.The room was cleaned every day with fresh towels. Plenty of Free car parking.I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Book a top floor sea view, and although the food is good i would take advantage of bean able to pay...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple