“Good old fashioned hospitality.”
Review of Furzedown Hotel

Furzedown Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I use this hotel on a regular basis and it truly is good value and good old fashioned hospitality.Allways a cheerfull greeting on arrival,try it you will not be dissapointed and you will go back.Paul & Liza allways make me welcome.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank alexander c

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I recently visited the Furzedown again with my Grandson. I am a frequent visitor of Great Yarmouth and always opt to stay at the Furzedown as we never fail to get a warm and friendly welcome from all the staff and not least the proprietors Paul & Lisa.

We've always found the hotel to be very pleasant and it is in a great spot to venture into town. I've never had a fault to pick with the place and my Grandson in particular can't wait to go back.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Carl K
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Lovely hotel, but a few little niggles let it down.

It's in a great location, opposite the lakes, five minutes walk into the centre of town, but there were just a few too many things that let it down.

Firstly - the car park - on Friday when we arrived we had no problems parking, we went out for the day on Saturday and on our return some idiot had blocked the entry to the car park, but being a good female driver who is used to London driving, I was able to manouvre through what gap was left and get down to the car park - only to find it full - the car blocking the entry to the car park belonged to the owner - and they'd parked there to stop anyone trying to get into the full car park. I did manage a seven point turn in the narrow space of the car park to get my car back out again and the hotel staff were rather shocked at how I could manouvre my car and the standard of my driving.

Invest in a "Car Park Full" sign would be my recommendation.

Secondly - housekeeping - although to a very high standard, is it really necessary to start cleaning and vaccuming the rooms at 8.00 in the morning on a bank holiday. I could hear the housekeeping girls sorting their stuff out, right outside my room - just when I fancied a lie in - but it just wasn't to be.

Next - the bedrooms - the rooms were fine - however, the doors do slam - not sure what time the people in the room next to mine came back, but it did wake me up and I know it was gone midnight. That was after the herd of elephants in the room above me had finally settled down for the night.

I had to close my window overnight because of the noise from the street - and also I could hear the noise of the radio from the bar

The beds were very squidgy - and squeaked - and that was just sitting on it - let along moving around when I'd settled for the night. Each night, when I pulled the curtains together, half the hooks in one of the curtain came out so I had to stand on the bed to sort it out.

Would we stay here again - only if we stayed in rooms on the upper floor, but in reality - probably not as there were just a few too many niggles

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper level
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank jg5118
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were really looking forward to our weekend away this bank holiday and specifically choose this hotel above any others because of the on-site parking promise. When we pulled up outside the hotel after a 3 hour drive we found what we now know to be one of the hotel employees/owner? blocking the entrance to the car park with her car so that no one could get in. Once she realised we were arriving guests we were told to park on the road, sea front, and assured it would be OK. When we walked in the front door I tripped over a metal bar covered with a carpet, very embarrassing entrance for me and then we were greeted by the same employee/owner who just told us our room number and nothing else, no breakfast times, no details about the hotel etc. We asked about parking in the car park later that night but were told we couldn't use the car park. In fairness, the room was very nice, spacious and clean but the shower was cold (broken dial on heating bit). We only stayed for one night and never got to use the car park and were never once asked if we had enjoyed our stay or if everything was ok. At almost £100 for the night this was very disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Tracy K K
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We chose the Furzedown firstly because of its location and because it had it's own car park, I agree with other reviewers that some women might find it tight and a little difficult to navigate but it's not really that bad. On arrival we were greeted by the owner and pointed in the direction of our room (it would have been nice to have been shown to our room). when booking we had requested a sea view room and this is what we got (room24), in the room was a double and a single bed additional pillows if required and an en-suite with over the bath shower, my wife did say that the bed was very hard But I thought it was ok.

At breakfast there was a good selection of cereals ect, a choice of full English or Kippers,tea/coffee and plenty of toast all served by very pleasant young ladies.

I would consider staying at the furzedown again but mostly because of the location.

Room Tip: request a sea view and you will have pleasant view of Victorian gardens
2  Thank squirrel1954
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This hotel was a good find and I am pleased that my partner and I discovered it. We may even use it again one day! There are strong points but also some aspects that really let the place down.

The very good bits are the external appearance, the beautiful front garden, the public areas such as entrance, bar, lounges and restaurant, hallways and stairs. Here we observe a loved property where care, taste and expense have been invested to create a really pleasing effect and well above that standard we had hoped for.

People have mentioned the car park as being difficult to enter and negotiate. Yes, it is but keep your speed well down and you should be ok. Large MPVs will have to take a great deal of thought and care when entering and parking.

Also deserving of praise are the staff who almost without exception, are thoughtful and painstaking in their handling of the guests. I say this from my own experiences and observations. Although this service is a major benefit associated with staying at the Furzedown, it may have had a 'seducing' effect on us - perhaps closing our eyes to the less palatable aspects of the hotel.

The Furzedown has so much going for it that it is a great pity to have to suggest that the owners seem to have serious blind spots in a couple of areas. The ‘loved’ aspects of the hotel did not seem to extend to our room.

I appreciate times are tough in 2013 but there was no excuse for the smell in the room that had a distinct ring of dampness (or some other disorder) about it. In speaking to other guests, we discovered that we were not alone in experiencing odour. I saw room cleaners spraying Zaflora or a similar product around, but the effect of the improvement was short lived. Our room was fragrant for about an hour before the odour returned. I would have been happier anyway if the owners had located the source of the problem rather than tricking our noses with freshener.

The bed was brilliant, we slept really well. In terms of room fixtures, fittings, walls etc, our room was certainly neglected. Yes it was a bit old fashioned but that doesn't matter. I am talking about work appearing rushed or bodged. It had that, "we know a man who can fix it for us" quality. Things were still good enough to assume that this place had once been really cared for but somewhere along the line the quality of care seems to have stopped.

Now to the really beautiful restaurant. Where the food was concerned, we had the feeling that the products we were consuming were being obtained from the cheapest possible source. There was a meanness evident here. Two different fish dishes were poor, condiments were cheap tasting and the coffee was highly watered down.

Overall, my partner and I were seduced by the staff. We liked the people very much. They could easily rid themselves of the negative issues mentioned above but something stops them. Is it self-sabotage? Either someone is counting pennies to the cost of quality or someone is being very lazy or complacent - or all of these things! I hope the team turn things round for next year. They will earn a lot of brownie points and become truly excellent if they can really take a fresh look at themselves. I don’t know if hotels are generally poor in Great Yarmouth - if so, even with the matters we experienced, you may regard the Furzedown as being at the higher end of the quality scale.

3  Thank Dara T
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We had our wedding reception at The Furzedown on 3rd August 2013 and really couldn't have chosen a better venue. A huge thank you to Paul, Lisa and all the staff for making our day so special. We opted for the wedding package with buffet & the food was delicious (and lots of it!). From beginning to end, everything was so organized. Comfortable, well equipped rooms and a great breakfast in the morning. Would highly recommend The Furzedown.

1  Thank Cheryl P