“John N”
Review of The Hamilton

Ranked #58 of 99 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I went to this hotel because I had been years ago with my late wife and had been
satisfied The 4 star rating and the reality now are not the same. I was very disappointed
It is just an out and out B+B and not value for money The room was not comfortable (22)
I had to ask for a drinking glass, non slip mat for the shower Not advised of meal times
Little things like that that would not happen in a 4 star I couldn't get the shower to work
These things were attended to when I asked
I must say the food I had was alright but I think there is scope for improvement in this
place.I stayed 2 nights

Room Tip: Miss room 22
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Only stayed one night but we thought really good value for money. Stayed in a room at the back of the hotel and was very pleased, did not hear a sound all night! (was room 12 by the way!), Room seemed to have been recently decorated and they have done a very good job, this double room is very small and that is what we paid for so fair enough!. Breakfast was great lots to eat, and very organised. Few niggles like no soap at basin or shower gel but think they just forgot this. Lovely area to relax in the bar if you want at night which looks out to sea. Free wi-fi and parking! Long ish walk to town but we really liked this . So really everything you want. Would recommend.

Room Tip: If you want a peaceful night a high floor at the back of hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
DavidAndLoraine, Manager at The Hamilton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Hi

Many thanks for your recent review. It's good to know you had a good stay with us. Yes your room has recently been refurbished and it's good to know all the hard work is appreciated. Many thanks for letting us know about missing soap - shower gel. It good to get positive feedback - keeps the housekeepers on their toes! Look forward to meeting you both again in the future

David & Loraine

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Unfortunately after our stay on the 29th of September, I am disappointed to have to write a very poor review. I personally work at a recently graded AA 3 star guest house, so I am familiar with the standards that should be expected, which sadly were not met by this establishment, even though it is rated as 4 star.

The room in which we stayed (room 6) did not live up to the standards of cleanliness that I would expect. One of the towels with which we were provided had a large brown stain in one corner. One of the coffee cups had a lipstick stain on the rim from where it had been used by a previous customer. The bathroom mirror was dirty and covered in marks. The shower was also quite grimy around the bottom from where it had not been cleaned thoroughly. I can appreciate that as an older hotel, it can sometimes be difficult to keep everything in the rooms absolutely pristine, but I feel that a great deal more effort could be made in room 6, as I was not at all satisfied with the cleanliness.

My further complaint comes from dinner. Despite the menu reading that we could book dinner at 6pm, we were told by your receptionist that we could not book until 6.30pm as the chef does not start until 6. This was not a problem for us, but I feel that the hotel ought to advertise the correct times to avoid disappointing customers. On coming down to be seated promptly at 6.30pm for our dinner, my boyfriend and I were told that we would have to wait a further 10 minutes as the chef was still not ready. We sat in the bar and waited to be told that the chef was ready for us, only to wait half an hour!! This was quite irritating as we had made arrangements to spend our evening out after our meal, and having to rush around to get to the film we had booked on time was extremely frustrating. Surely the chef, having been in the building since 6pm, should have been able to cook 2 meals in 30 minutes! I could understand a delay if the restaurant had been busy, but this clearly was not the case on Sunday evening, as we were the only couple who seemed to dine that night. Also, in order to actually be seated for dinner, we had to wander into the restaurant ourselves to sit down, rather than being shown to a table by a member of staff. This made us feel quite unwelcome and that we were an inconvenience as opposed to being valued customers. No apologies were made about the wait which we experienced, which further added to our frustration.
In addition to this, the meal which we were given did not live up to the promise of "homemade" food that appears on your website. My boyfriend's steak pie had clearly been taken out of a packet, as had my chicken tikka masala. When we pre-ordered our food, I overheard the receptionist speaking to a woman (perhaps the chef?) about taking a pie out of the freezer - leaving us in no doubt that we would not be getting the home cooked dinner that your website promises. The chocolate cake which we had for dessert also appeared to have been shop-bought, with some cheap chocolate sauce and ice-cream plonked on the plate as an accompaniment. The quality of the food, after waiting so long for it, was a big disappointment.

The other issue that we experienced was to do with noise. It seemed as though a group of very loud gentlemen were also staying at the Hamilton on Sunday evening, directly above our room. They returned to their room at about 11pm and kept us up almost all night with loud talking and laughing. This meant that we only had about 4 hours sleep, leaving us very tired and downbeat the next day. I understand that the owners cannot control the noise levels made by other customers, but in what seems to be a large hotel covering several floors, it seems silly to allocate rooms for what might potentially be a very loud group directly above a young couple wanting a quiet night away.

To make matters even worse, I emailed the Hamilton after our stay to express my complaints and request a return of what we had paid, to receive no response! We had paid upon arrival, and had we chosen to pay at the end of our stay, we certainly would not have paid the full price asked!

I would definitely not recommend a stay here. Appalling.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
DavidAndLoraine, Owner at The Hamilton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Many thanks for this review of The Hamilton – it’s really strange since its now almost 9 months since these guests stayed with us - why wait 9 months to write a review?

Briefly, our house keeping team are all new this season and room 6 is in great shape and beautifully clean for our guests.

Evening meal service is running well and it is regrettable that our food was not to these guests taste. As is common practice, homemade food may be frozen for future use.

We are on call 24 hours a day and a will deal with any noise in rooms if requested - even in the middle of the night!

Finally, we did respond to these guests’ emails but did not warrant the threat of a bad review as good reason to refund monies. Had they spoken to us on departure, we are sure an amicable agreement would have been reached. No point just leaving and then start complaining as at that point it is hard to resolve any problems.

David & Loraine

Reviewed 15 June 2014

we have just returned from a 3 night stay at The Hamilton, we had the seashells which was very nice with a lovely view of gardens and sea opposite. There was a comfortable settee and a comfortable bed. The bathroom had a lovely power shower.
Breakfast was good with plenty to eat and we had dinner one of the evenings.
Good location not far from town centre.
We would stay here again when in Great Yarmouth.

Room Tip: Choose the seashells room or roo 1.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel was easy to find and plenty of space for our car. We had arrived early so decided to check the town out first before checking in. When checking in Tony greeted us and Lorraine was there to welcome us too.

Our room was number 26. It was on the back of the hotel, Over looking the local park, which was lovely. I would give the cleanliness 5/5. Not one problem. The room was a small double but we knew this when booking through a Wowcher deal. It had a TV and tea/coffee. Plenty of storage for a small stay, We stayed two nights. Bathroom was very tight with a sliding door. The only negative was the shower curtain as I'm not a fan of these but that's only my personal view on them.

Breakfast was part self service and part waitress. The waitress soon comes over to you and takes your cooked food order. She also serves you tea/coffee and toast. Over on a table is cereals, fruit and juice. You can help yourself to these. The cooked breakfast is filling and freshly cooked to order. I didn't know the breakfast staff names but thank you to you all.

The hotel is on the sea front with lovely gardens opposite too if you fancy just chilling out. It is close to the town. Only a short walk away. Plenty of places to eat and see. I would recommend eating at the Joyland American Diner which is a straight walk from the hotel. Also great for family's.

As this was our first visit to The Hamilton we didn't know what to expect. You won't be disappointed here. Family friendly too.

When we return to Great Yarmouth we will be coming back to this hotel.

A big thank you to all the staff and especially Lorraine. She is so kind and caring and we enjoyed chatting with you and your family. You made the stay even better.

See you again soon :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Princessclare
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We spent a couple of days at the Hamilton, using a Wowcher voucher.
It is close to town, opposite a park area before reaching the beach about 100 yards away Ample car parking in front and behind the hotel.
Our room is a standard, basic one, Large double bed, ensuite shower, wash basin and toilet. Useful storage areas for clothing. Clean room, fresh towels, TV and coffee/tea making facilities. View not so good - could do with a net curtain. Curtains a bit thin, especially when it is very sunny and the room is light at 5 am.
Loraine and David and son gave a warm welcome, before he helped with our suitcase to our room. There is a chairlift for anyone with a problem climbing stairs. Free wifi is available in the rooms as well as two lounges available for guests - large flat screen TV in each area.
We were on B&B bas
The breakfast was delicious!! Cereals, fresh fruit and juice (orange, apple, grapefruit) on a is and the dining room is a pleasant, clean area with a variety of seating available - 2s or 4s. help yourself basis.- tea/coffee brought to the table. The cooked breakfast was a full English with a choice of how your egg was cooked and the 'waitress' was cheerful and helpful, keeping cups filled with beverages and extra toast was available if required. No-one left the table hungry. Evening meals are also available on request.
The Hamilton is is close enough to the town to allow visits in the evening too. We dined at the Buddha Oriental buffet - delicious food (see my review) and went to the Hollywood Cinema, some 300 yards from our hotel.
Would we go again? Definitely Yes.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle of the hotel are best as one is overlooked on side facing rooms
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rick T
Reviewed 30 May 2014

On arrival we were greeted by the lovely Loraine. We were shown to our room which was lovely had everything we needed.a cot was provided for our baby. We had dinner at the hotel which was lovely and really reasonable. We were attended to by David and all the staff were friendly and helpful. We only booked for two days but felt so much at home that we will definitely be going back.
Great service, great value, relaxing and lovely owners and staff.

• Stayed: May 2014