“The Best Hotel in Yarmouth by country mile!!!”
Review of The Hamilton

The Hamilton
Ranked #63 of 99 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my girlfriend at the beggining of February. I am not one to normally write reviews but must say that the level of service and the approach of the two owners was brilliant. I was made to feel welcome, The hotel has a lovely homely feel to it and I must say has the most comfortable sitting room I ever been in. It helped that the owners run the hotel personally so you got that extra little bit of service that you wouldnt get on a run of the mill place. This hotel is great value for money......They are always willing to go the extra mile. I have stayed in yarmouth on various ocasions and I am so happy that I ended up here I will be coming back for years to come.
One quick tip is book a sea view room for that little bit extra it makes the difference to waking up looking out to the sea.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 December 2010

I arranged an early Christmas get away for myself and my husband to come down and see family. I spent a lot of time looking around and the website to the Hamilton looked very plush and somewhere that would be accomodationg to us. Unfortunalty upon arrival it was obvious that this was not the beautiful plush accomodation that was advertised. The owners were very nice, but the bedroom was a let down. It is in urgent need of restoration and I do not feel moneys worth. I though that a 'better house double' was just that - a better standard of room. If this was the case, I am grateful that I did not reserve a normal room. The food was nice, but a bit pricey for what it is.
I have said that the owners were nice, but I was taken aback by the language used by the bar man. I am not a prudish person, but I felt uncomfortable with it and I would have been very imbarassed if my children or mother was with me.
The bar is nice, but unfortunatly over run with people who would not look out of place at a local hostel, It was hard to have a nice quiet drink - obviously the owners have the right to have who ever they wish staying, but I am glad that I did not bring my children. I did at one point try and talk to the owner, but rightly so they were very busy as they were full with I think some kind of Christmas party event - did not get much sleep that night!!
I would like to point out that is is advisable to do some homework when booking a break away, so you do not feel disappointed after parting from your hard earned cash as i have.
If you have had a good experience here, then I am glad for you, but personally I will not be returning and as I have said, do your homework before booking.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2010

we stayed here as a group of 4 couples for a weekend in yarmouth, the service from the b&bs owners was great and couldnt be more helpful unfortunatley the b&b itself was the let down, we were all given double rooms that we could barely walk around the bed, the toilet/shower is in the same room as the bed but with a sliding door between the two, you can sit on the toilet watch the telly and talk to your partner who is 3 ft away all at the same time.
its far too small, we were shocked after seeing the lovely rooms shown on the hotels website to be given these small poky rooms, we found it very difficult to get ready in the evening as the room was crowded with just the two of us.
I dont know where these plush rooms from the website were as we didnt see them.
The location is not great there are a plethora of other b&bs that were nearer to everything going on in yarmouth, the only plus side was to get to it only cost £4 in a taxi.
I would probably recommend to my grandmother but not to anyone under the age of 70!

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Not a newly furnished joint, you are not paying a fortune for it but it is ok for what you are paying. Room, bed, bathroom ok, had a sideways view of the sea described as a 'side view of the sea' so I am not putting anytone down on that one. Breakfast very nice and freshly cooked. Hosts very friendly and helpful, bar and beers ok. Didn't sample the evening meals but they looked ok - those that were eating seemed to be ok with them. I'd go again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Perhaps we had greater expectations than we should have had but this wasn't what we expected for the price we paid. We booked what was called a Better House double en suite with sea view. We could see the sea if we looked sideways, our direct view was of the hotel next door where we could see into each others rooms (no net curtains). The decor of the room was shabby , poorly built wardrobe erected but not properly finished wedged into a small alcove, that could not be opened fully because of the entrance door closure. Plenty of hangers though!
Only one side cabinet by the bed so any drink for during the night had to go on the floor. Bed was comfortable & bedding clean, but pillows were flat & out of use by date. 2 unmatching cushions were put on the bed, one looking very mattered. The En Suite left a lot to be desired. half the window was in the bedroom but neither side could be opened, there was an extractor fan which couldn't be operated as the cord was at very high ceiling level. The shower was ok but very tatty, taps on the sink appeared not to be working but then after several turns the drip turned into a gush. The sliding door was ill fitted & didn't close completely. All the walls were very thin & you could hear all the conversations in the adjoining bedrooms - not just voices but actual words. The first night was very bad being woken at 3am by other occupants that arrived home drunk, this disruption lasted for over 1 1/2 hours. The owners told us they have a room near us & they didn't hear a thing but other guest did even on another floor. Although the owners were very friendly & apolgetic if the noisy people hadn't been leaving the next morning we would have left.
The Bar - bit of a joke.. appearance very good but bar staff inexperienced (the owners). They only had 2 wine glasses one big one small & Brandy was served in a tall mixer glass.
It said there was evening meals but there was only one option on the menu & you had to order at breakfast time.
The breakfast however was lovely, well cooked, well presented & sufficient

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TwoJacks16
HamiltonGY, Owner at The Hamilton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2010

Reading this review, we feel perhaps the reviewers would have been more comfortable and perhaps should have booked into a 4 star hotel. That said, our standards are very high and a recent inspection by the hotel inspector has confirmed our 4 star guest accommodation status.
This year, The Hamilton is under new management and all rooms are being refurbished on a rolling program. On arrival, the couple did not find the wardrobe in their first room large enough and hence were moved to another room. We were assured the second room was perfectly fine, and indeed had a long friendly chat with the couple prior to their departure. Absolutely no mention was made of mention of any problems with their room. Far better they had raised any difficulties with us at that time rather than waiting until they had left to say they were unhappy!
With regard to our other guests, we are very selective in who we take. We have refused bookings in the past and will continue to refuse anyone whom we believe may cause problems for other guests. We do ask guests to consider others and will certainly intervene if we are aware of any problems, particularly at night. If we are not aware of a problem, it’s very hard to act!
Looking at comments on our bar, our resident barman has worked in several of the top night clubs. If the reviewer had spent much time with us, they would be well aware of this and excuse us if we happened to use the wrong glass during the barman’s break time! Again, far better to say at the time and let us offer an alternative.
And finally, our evening meal menu does offer a reasonable choice for the size of the establishment. We offer a daily “chefs special” with all other meals are available to order during the evening. The reviewers obviously did not eat with us or they would realise that only meals requiring special preparation need to be ordered in advance.
We are pleased the reviewers enjoyed breakfast. We are continually improving rooms and service and would welcome the reviewers back at anytime into our establishment at any time in the future.

Reviewed 17 September 2010

A family run hotel,welcome very friendly. Lovely and clean,with a comfortable atmosphere.Nothing seemed too much trouble.Breakfast was freshly cooked from an excellent menu,served by a great staff - didn't get to sample the evening meal.Will definately go back!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2010

we stayed for 2 nights with a 5 year old and a 9 month old they were brilliant with the children couldnt have made us feel more welcome. rooms were lovely beds were very comfortable. the food was great. would recommend this hotel. thanks again for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family