“Brilliant!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 100 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Tolleshunt D'Arcy, null, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have read through the reviews already given by some customers, which has given me a very amusing time of reading. I didnt find the door step dirty (are we back in the 40's where steps were scrubbed for hours??), I also did not mind the hotel being 'locked' at the entrance, I lock my own house before leaving and unlock on my return (normal practice) so I don't see the problem.
I am an animal lover so would always refrain from swinging mice, cats or any other small furries around the room to calculate its size, if it bothered me that much I would have brought a tape measure. Mine was a perfectly adequate size for my stay with a lovely clean, useable bathroom which had all the necessary amenities, I'm afraid mine didnt have moisturiser either but I didnt expect it to so had brought my own.
Our food was second to none, massive portions which was super quality and extremely well cooked. Service was quick and nothing was too much trouble. All amenities were within a few minutes walk and ideally for me directly across the road was a beach and obviously the sea! But then I wanted a hotel that wasnt surrounded by the jangling and rowdy music of slot machines. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and certainly will do. If I make another visit to Yarmouth they will be the first I will ask.
Although the idea of staying in Fawlty Towers sounds appealing as an evenings amusement, I think I would much rather stay in the Kensington as neither Basil nor Sybil appeared at any moment in time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Donna B
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a response I cannot tell you how appreciated it is. In any business sometimes things go wrong but we do everything we can to ensure that guest experience is a top priority. We constantly reinvest and are delighted by reviews such as yours when the effort is noted. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the location, food and all aspects of your stay. We are eagerly awaiting your return. Thank you once again for the kind remarks and addressing points in previous reviews. It has been a pleasure

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Polish first
Romford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

My friend and I stayed for 4 nights and we had a very pleasant break. Alway enjoying visiting Gt Yarmouth and the east coast

The Positives:

Well priced rooms, nice bed, good breakfast, great location, very friendly & helpful staff and free off street parking

The Negatives:

It was a mission to get to the room on the top floor, I think on one occasion I passed Steve McQueen trying to escape, and found myself unknowingly whistling the theme tune of Tenko. A first floor is a must for those with mobility issue, child or poor orienteering skills.

The bar was seldom staffed and like drinking on the moon.....no atmosphere. Which was a shame as it is a sweet little bar.

Perhaps I'm being a wee bit harsh, as the 4 nights were very cheap indeed and we had no issue with the room itself. However the hotel purports to be a 4 Star which it clearly isn't at present.

Room Tip: Get a ground or 1st floor room, the higher rooms require orienteering skills.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. I am so pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us. We do have a wide range of rooms in various locations as the premises is of a traditional construction. Anyone specifying their requirements on booking will be matched to a room that suits their needs. Can I just state that we do not advertise as a 4 star hotel. 4 are 4 star guest accommodation
Harlow, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Booked this hotel for my boyfriend and I for 1 night. Upon arriving at this hotel we were greeted by a gentleman who told us our room wouldn't be ready for another half hour or so, so we waited in the lounge. After checking in and walking up two flights of stairs we were at our room. First impressions were it was clean and relatively spacious for 2 people for one night, until I noticed hairs on the bed. View from window overlooked another hotel and to the right was the beach which was nice. Upon entering the bathroom I couldn't help but notice numerous hairs (pubes) scattered around the bath which was disappointing. I didn't expect to have to clean the bath before using it.
Food and service was nice. For dinner we had the lamb shank with mash (cant remember the fancy name of it) was delicious!
After working as a house keeper in 2 different 3* hotels, never ever would we be allowed to have pubes laying around. Also lovely clean towels, but could do with a fancier way of folding them up, but maybe I'm just being picky and used to them not just bunged on the rails.
Last but not least, head board was very noisy, it was like a barn door with un-oiled hinges during the gail force winds of winter, which was a shame as this was why paid for a break away from our own noisy ones.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jade P
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. I am so sorry that you experienced difficulties whilst staying with us. All issues when reported are dealt with immediately.
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

We booked into a family room to take my 2 nieces to the seaside while we were baby-sitting. On check-in, the staff were great and friendly and helpful, we then hit the high points of Gt. Yarmouth for the day, headed back exhausted and all fell asleep in the small, but clean and tidy room. Then...
* At some point in the night the TV randomly turned itself on at massive volume (no I didn't roll onto the remote - that was sitting on some drawers away from everyone). This nearly gave me a heart attack!
*During the night , we heard what felt like every noise that the hotel guests made, so if you're a light sleeper, not sure I'd recommend this place.
*At breakfast was where Basil was really channeled. The chap organising the tables was moving some chairs around and just walked into the 'Wait here to be seated' sign, crashing it over and destroying it.
*When we finally got sat and sorted, the breakfast order ended up coming out of the kitchen three times until all four plates were correct (and small children don't want beans anywhere near their plate if they don't like beans...)
*The breakfast itself was disappointing, parts of mine were cold and the only difference between adult and child portion was the plate size (as far as I can tell)
*Now don't ask my why this bugs me, but we were the last to finish breakfast and as w finished off, the staff were cleaning and setting the tables for the next meal (not unreasonable, but a bit noisy). We then check out about 20-30 mins later and we could see that the restaurant was set for the next meal, aside from where e'd been sitting, which just seemed abandoned.

I'm maybe being overly critical, we only paid around £80, which given the standard of the room (if not it's size), seemed like a good deal, given the other prices we saw. Everything worked, there was free wifi, the bar looked nice and we did want to try the restaurant (but just didn't get round to it) the staff were friendly and I still think its a 4/5 rating, but if you weren't in the right mood, it could rub you up the wrong way.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I take your point about the issues with the breakfast and will of course fully investigate. As to the TV remote control I truly don't know what happened and as the building is of a traditional construction sometimes there is noise but a phone call to the number in the welcome pack alerts the person on duty through the night to deal with it. As to the crashing into the sign I believe this to have been an accident which anyone could have made. Often tables are reset as we often need to use them twice.
Uppingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Good place to stay Sea Front great food and bar and most of all pleasant staff nothing was any trouble even the early breakfast call Thinking of bringing Grand parents here next year for a short break

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Anthony T
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and are thinking of coming back. We look forward to seeing you again
Barnsley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

An honest review from two contractors staying at the kensington october.
As contractors working away from home luxury is not expected.
However, we felt our twin room was not up to par.Allowing pets at hotels is not a good idea as i found dog hair in our room and a smell of kennels.
Carpet had some strange looking stains on it and also on curtains.
Shower was hot but uncontrollable(requires thermostatic mixer).
On a positive note breakfast was ok and staff very friendly and parking ok.
I would have liked to have given a better review but the room let it down.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so sorry that you experienced difficulties with your room. Any problems if reported immediately can be rectified on site and a room change made if possible.
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed only one night at this hotel, wish we could have stayed longer. The hotel is clean and all members of staff are lovely and friendly. We had a room with sea view which was great. We had an evening meal there and it was very nice, the service was spot on.I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. The only thing I would say is check you bill as they were going to overcharge us, but i questioned the bill and they rectified the overcharge.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glynne a
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you so much for such a lovely review it was so lovely to meet you both. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again. As to the bill we keep all copies and encourage guests to check this on departure. We do have staff in training and so always do this as a matter of policy. Kind regards and thank you once again