“Lovely....”
Review of The Kensington

The Kensington
Ranked #50 of 99 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We arrived early and very cold so thought we would have a coffee in the bar to warm us up, we were very happy and grateful when they said we could check in early. Room was lovely but a bit cold, we dropped our baggage off and went off to meet friends. We returned later and had a couple of drinks in the bar, everyone was very friendly and made a fuss of Elwood our dog. When we went up to our room we were happy that it was warmer. The bed was comfortable and we had a lovely nights sleep. The only thing I can think of to complain about is the height of the mirror cos it is way too high to be able to sit and blow dry your hair.
We went to breakfast the next morning and although not allowed in the restaurant because of the dog it was not a problem because we could sit in the bar which is just like an extension to the restaurant. Breakfast was lovely and the waiter was very attentive. I was sad that we were only there for one night but we are already looking at going back and staying longer.

Room Tip: Great if you have a dog.......
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gillian F
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am so pleased that you found everyone friendly. We try extremely hard to provide a good welcome. We do have adjustable heating so on your return, which we are very much looking forward to, just ask if you need an extra heating appliance

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed in room five which cost us 160 pounds for 2 nights including breakfast the room it's self was a bit dated there was rust on the radiator the king size bed was comfy but the base could do with replacing it was noisy when you moved around in the bed the evening meal we had on the first night was very good value the breakfast I must say we have had better but overall it was all ok would go back again but would ask not to stay in room 5

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Lynn T

I am so pleased that you have taken the time to provide feedback. We listen to all guest comments and try to act upon them. Any issues arising during your stay can be dealt with immediately if reported. We do hope to see you back again.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed here at The Kensington for three nights from November 11th. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Room 5 on the first floor had a sea view and for our stay had a single and a double bed (our confirmation letter stated would sleep 4). One or two things needed attention by the maintenance man, and were dealt with almost immediately. The food was excellent, breakfasts were cooked to order and the evening meals were overly generous in portion size - my mother had to request smaller portions! We were fortunate to be included in the entertainment that was provided for a coach party on a "Turkey & Tinsel" trip, so our evenings were fun. Not sure what it would have been like without it though as the TV in our room was too small for my mother to see (sight problems).
All in all, a good few days, thanks to manager Tom and the staff. Would happily stay there again.
Mrs. M. Edmonds and mother, Mrs. E. Smithdale.
PS. Softer pillows and a lighter duvet on the double bed will be requested next time.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank A1Villager
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are a family run business that always tries to show traditional hospitality. All of our staff really believe in this an try to go the extra mile to ensure guests have a good quality experience. I am so pleased you enjoyed the food and the entertainment. We will take note of what you say about the pillows. Many thanks once again.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Just returned from what should have been a two night stay, which turned into a one night stay due to the standard of the room. This was my partners birthday weekend away which turned out to be a total disaster. I made the booking through Booking.com at least 3 1/2 weeks before our stay, I booked a front or side facing sea view room which it stated some rooms have a king size bed. Upon arrival we got to our room to find two single beds which looked like they had been shoved together, it looked liked there was a lot of extra padding put done the middle of the two beds to prevent us falling doe the middle. One of the beds was at least a inch lower than the other and the lowest bed seemed like it had a mattress which had been knocking around for decades as the springs had gone and it was like sleeping on the floor and you could hear the springs every time you moved, we had a terrible nights sleep. Up early and out and about the following day, didn't have time to complain in the morning so left it until we returned later on that day. Upon informing reception of this I was initially told we could move into another room - my partner went upstairs and stared packing whilst i waited for the key, then the receptionist disappeared and came back after she spoke to what i believe was a colleague and now all of a sudden there was no other room available,how bizarre! So we decided we couldn't not stay in this awful disappointing hotel. There was an offer of a free drink in the bar but we declined as we left. I asked for a refund on the second night as we did not stay but needless to say It was my fault for not complaining in the morning. As for the breakfast which is supposed to be superb, well it has a long way to go to get there and there could have been much more on the large plate they give you which also comes with a a pool of oil from the mushrooms - how nice. and just to top it off one of the bedside lamps don't work. Please do not be fooled by the lovely pictures on the website - your room will not look like any of them. Four star no way more like 2 star and that's being generous. Definitely would not recommend and will not be going back there.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. We look at all the reviews received and act upon them with all members of staff concerned. We are disappointed and concerned that you were unhappy with your stay. Although every effort is made to ensure that everything is perfect for every guest in order to make their holiday experience an extremely pleasant one things do on occasion occur which need to be dealt with. These can normally be rectified at the time when staff are aware of the issue. We have someone on maintenance all of the time and carry spares of mattresses etc which can be easily replaced. Guest comfort is extremely important to us. As for the breakfast we have retained our award. We offer a full breakfast buffet to start where guests can enjoy as much as they want followed by a cooked breakfast and limitless toast and tea etc. We grill bacon and sausage and only cook eggs in oil. Mushrooms are not cooked in oil. We are also 4 star guest accommodation not a hotel. I do hope that this has address your issues.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Just returned from the Kensington hotel and must say it was excellent, I had my 2dogs one of them elderly so was given ground floor room brilliant for her, it was clean, warm and staff were really friendly and very helpful, breakfast was excellent and plenty of it, would definitely return, if aloud after my dog put mud on duvet, sorry again for that, but again nothing was to much trouble.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo S
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a response. I am so pleased that you had a lovely time. Our staff try hard to really help. Don;t worry we have a great laundry service. Kind regards and hope to see you again

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at hotel 25/10/2013 with my partner for just 1 night. We were disappointed with the size of our room (very small) and the en-suite!! Plus lamps in room were not working and light switch was very dangerous has was broken!! It was a trek to get to our room has we were on second floor and the lift only went up to the first floor! I would defantly not call it a 4 star hotel 3star at a push. On the plus side although small portions the food was good, the bar and lounge areas was decorated to a high standard - but I don't think we will stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a response. We have a wide range of room types according to available and guest selection. Many have large windows overlooking the seafront with full ensuite shower and bath facilities. We also have a full time person on maintenance so any issues when reported can be dealt with immediately. As the building is of a traditional construction then the lift does only go to the first floor as it would be difficult to extend it. We are in deed 4 star guest accommodation not a 4 star hotel. I am so pleased that you were so impressed with the ground floor which has been fully refurbished. We also are very receptive to guests who would like additional items

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have read through the reviews already given by some customers, which has given me a very amusing time of reading. I didnt find the door step dirty (are we back in the 40's where steps were scrubbed for hours??), I also did not mind the hotel being 'locked' at the entrance, I lock my own house before leaving and unlock on my return (normal practice) so I don't see the problem.
I am an animal lover so would always refrain from swinging mice, cats or any other small furries around the room to calculate its size, if it bothered me that much I would have brought a tape measure. Mine was a perfectly adequate size for my stay with a lovely clean, useable bathroom which had all the necessary amenities, I'm afraid mine didnt have moisturiser either but I didnt expect it to so had brought my own.
Our food was second to none, massive portions which was super quality and extremely well cooked. Service was quick and nothing was too much trouble. All amenities were within a few minutes walk and ideally for me directly across the road was a beach and obviously the sea! But then I wanted a hotel that wasnt surrounded by the jangling and rowdy music of slot machines. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and certainly will do. If I make another visit to Yarmouth they will be the first I will ask.
Although the idea of staying in Fawlty Towers sounds appealing as an evenings amusement, I think I would much rather stay in the Kensington as neither Basil nor Sybil appeared at any moment in time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Donna B
OwnerMaria, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a response I cannot tell you how appreciated it is. In any business sometimes things go wrong but we do everything we can to ensure that guest experience is a top priority. We constantly reinvest and are delighted by reviews such as yours when the effort is noted. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the location, food and all aspects of your stay. We are eagerly awaiting your return. Thank you once again for the kind remarks and addressing points in previous reviews. It has been a pleasure