“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Southern Hotel
Ranked #75 of 100 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

Excellent service, tasty breakfast, wonderful room and good nights sleep - what more could you ask for at such a bargain price?

Stayed on business and would not hesitate to recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2012
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Thank you for the great review, we really enjoyed your company and hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
West Midlands, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed at the Southern while on business last week and my stay was fine.
Upon arrival I was greeted by landlady who is very pleasant and she showed me to my room and put the heating on.
Room 15 was not exactly as nice as the ones pictured so I felt a little let down as the photos were one of the selling points, however it was spotlessly clean. Even the glass in the shower was streak free. I have stayed in three hotels a week for two years so little details like that stand out.
There was also a bottle of water which again is a very welcome touch.
I was looking forward to dinner as the menu in the brochure sounded excellent but Sally said there were only three guests in the hotel so it wasn't worth cooking. I was disappointed because both nights I went out to restaurants and spent 40 quid a night so maybe it would have been worth cooking.
The bed was comfortable as were the pillows and the sheets were spotlessly clean. My one complaint with the bed is that it isn't attached to the wall and it's on a laminate floor, so every slight movement especially by the morning, the bed moves down the room and the pillows fall down the back of the bed.
A dog... barks every morning. Thankfully I had ear plugs.
I didn't try the breakfast but I am sure it would be great.
The shower was terrible though. Very poor water pressure and only ever got lukewarm
I tried this morning afternoon and night and always the same over two days.

My overall thoughts are that ... it was ok. I certainly wouldn't have been happy had I paid the full price but 29 pounds on laterooms with breakfast was good.
My view and I stress this is only MY personal view is that this should be listed as a guest house as I would expect much more from a hotel.
Having stayed in two hotels of a similar standard since this stay, I stand by that.
I personally wouldn't stay again BUT would recommend it to anybody who is seeking a pleasant very clean accommodation in Great Yarmouth with decent parking and close to the front.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PonsonbySmythe
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
As the pleasant lady who showed this guest to his room I am unsure how I feel about his review but would comment as follows
1) There was no mention that the £24.17 + VAT was for a single room and we actually put this
guest in a room with a double bed.
2) We have various types of rooms from 4 poster, premier rooms and standard rooms, all of
which are shown on our laterooms advertisement.
3) I certainly did not say it wasn't worth cooking what I actually said was that as my husband
only uses fresh not frozen food it is not cost effective for us to cook for 1 or 2 guests. We
could have recommeded several really good restaurants where you could eat for a lot lot
less than £40
4) There most certainly is a laminate floor in room 15 but also a large rug which normally
keeps the bed in place.
5) If we had been told about the problem with the shower, we would have shown how to turn
the shower head to the correct position to increase pressure and to get the water heat
increased.
We have never had a complaint about the rooms at this price and are sorry that this guest expected a premier room at this price.

We are pleased that he felt that the rooms are spotlessly clean as was the bedlinen and that are beds are comforetable and appreciated our attention to detail with the complimentary water on the hospitality tray
Graded 4* Guest Accommodation we advertise as such, this is between a hotel and a guest house.
Recommendations in any form are always welcome and to be described as pleasant and very clean is what our staff and my husband and I aspire to achieve.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

We are staying at the southern while working at a company on the quay. We have 6 rooms a mix of normal and superior all are very clean comfortable and warm. We have a good nite sleep and can walk to work. When working early about 6.00 we are given a takeaway with drink fruit sardines and yogurt. This place is better than some hotels that cost a lot more and we stay all over

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Mygrayvan
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
When this review was first displayed I was very pleased with the lovely review, however it has been pointed out to me a few times that I supply sardines !!! This review was obviously done from a mobile with predictive text on . I do believe this should read sandwiches not sardines !!!
Hatfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

nice big rooms good tv chose on suit very important for us much higher up in the hotel than led to believe when booking brilliant breakfast big/large more available i could smell their familydogs the otherhalf could not our last two showers were warm not hot im not supprised that theyhave alot of return bussines if you meet a grumpy man on way to reception dressed down he's the boss/cook

Room Tip: nice big rooms lots of stairs good tv bar taxis unbeatable breakfast you can smell the familydog o...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
I could not make out if this was a good review or not but we all smiled when we read it !!! My husband is indeed the cook and is responsible for the " brilliant breakfast" but he also has to do DIY so after breakfast he can be found dressed down ready to face what ever the day brings, with 20 bedrooms there is always something that needs a slight attention
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

we stayed the southern for 1 week ,the staff were fantastic.friendly nothing too much trouble ,sally & tony were great hosts and have a place to be proud of .Tony your food was brill.the portions were rather big more than value for the money and of excellent quality. The rooms were clean ,clean towels every day free coffeee &tea facilitys filled everyday we had a premier double with en-suite what more could we have asked for fantastic in every way.will definatley go back .it was our first time great yarmouth. andrea /peter west yorkshire.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

i stayed here with my 14yr old daughter, i paid a total of £240 for a 3 night stay in one of their so called " premier double rooms".
First impressions seemed good with a pleasant receptionist, the room was clean and tidy. it wasnt until we wanted to shower, this is where the problems began, my daughter went to use it but it was only cold water. my daughter went down to ask why there was no hot water and was told that the water runs out in the afternoon due to them doing laundry. on top of this was told the boiler was broken. the owner couldnt understand why we would want a shower as in his words " most people go out for the day !" and added that this is a b&b and not a hotel, even though it has a hotel sign over the door and on all reciepts, anyhow i am at a loss at to why this should have a bearing on me wanting to take a shower at my own leisure. on the second day at breakfast my daughter ordered scrambled egg which was nice but unfortunately when the toast arrived it had mold on it, this really put me off and starting me thinking what else might be out of date. i am sorry to say that as a single parent struggling to take my daughter away for a few days i was sorely dissappointed with the attitude and the customer service. all i will say is that £80 per night for a hotel room or should i say a b&b is excessive especially with a cold shower and an owner who made you think that you should be gratefull with what you got.

Room Tip: make sure you ask about hot water etc before you book
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
We are really disappointed with this review especially as they stayed the same time as the review below. Only proving you can not please all the people all of the time.Certainly the Premier room they occupied is one of our most popular rooms. We did have one of our boilers break down and need a new part so we were on warm water for a day. The majority of guests understood that we were doing everything we could to put the matter right in fact out of a full house there was only this room and one other that were not understanding. As soon as I saw the scrambled egg had been made with too much butter, what was not mentioned by the guest was that I took it away and made some more without being asked. All food items on the table have a sell by date on so no one need have a worry about our food standards. Yarmouth may not have been the best choice for this guest to holiday with the emotional attachments
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

We stayed as a family group for four days and had an enjoyable time at the hotel. The level of service was very good and we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We had 3 small children with us and they were very well catered for, we felt very welcome.
Good location if you wish to be slightly back from the noise of the main street, yet only a minute to the seafront.
Only negative was that the room was a little small for us as a family, but we did also have a travel cot with us. Useful that the room had two toilets.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for positive comments. As the room was for 2 adults and 2 kids baby Sam did limit the space available which is why with prior notice we would not have let out this room to 5