“OK, but too much noice”

Ranked #76 of 100 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
dorisando
“OK, but too much noice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Stayed for just 1 night with my 11yr old son and his friend, we had room 11 which had a double bed and had a joining room with bunk beds for my son. We arrived late afternoon and was greeted by a lady (Owner?) who did not pay too much attention from where we had come from or make any connection really as to why we were staying at this B & B. I made the move and explained we were on a theme park weekend and after saying I was looking forward to a rest, she made a comment, 'i wished'...odd, but never thought anymore. I was (in my opinion) then rushed through you've checked in,, breakfast is between 8am an 9am and check out by 10am....a little too swift for my liking, I had just arrived and got the impression she couldn't wait to get rid of us!

We went out just after 6pm and came back around 7.30pm and having settled into our room, found that anyone who run water above us or indeed flushed a loo....the noise was awful. Whilst I appreciate these are old houses, the noise was awful, people that came back in late at night, the water pipes/flushing system just came through to our room....this kept me awake, along with the motor bikes and boy racers who went up and down the sea front, no fault of the B & B, but as the room was hot, had to keep the window open and this did keep me awake. After a bit of a traumatic night, the shower in the 'bunk bed room' well all i can say if you are twiggy, then fine, but the shower is the smallest cubicle ever, the speed the water came out was not quick at all...no power shower thats for sure! Finally, breakfast sunday morning i requested a full english but with the egg 'done hard' (Hate runnny eggs), I was told by the same lady who checked us in, he will try but won't do it hard???? I'm not to sure if I asked something that had never been asked before, but something so simple ....Either way, was not really made to feel that welcomed got the impression she did not like children as they seemed to be invisible when we arrived, certainly not child friendly in my opinion, maybe I got it wrong...Left the key on the table when we left as they were still serving breakfast. Overall, £95.00 for one night with 2 children, way over priced, lots of other places cheaper and more friendly (as we found), and with less noise!

Room Tip: Book some where else!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
We were vey disappointed to read this review, as there is only 2 weeks between this review and "Excellent Friendly Hotel" review stating how child friendly we were it only proves you can not please all of the people all of the time. As with all accommdation providers childrens reduced rates only apply if they share with 2 full paying adults therefore only one child rate applies. The shower trays are standard size not smaller as stated. We do not have power showers and do not advertise as having them however if the shower head is rotated this increases the water pressure. This ishower is purposely left on low as this is a childs room to avoid accidents. Guests stay with us as they are on holiday and at 7.30p.m. at night they will be getting ready to go out and they will be using the showers and talking.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Stayed at the southern with my wife and two children (3 years and 8 months) and were very well looked after. Food was excellent and freshly cooked. The rooms are very clean and fresh towels are given to you daily. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming and Sally did her utmost to please. My 8 month old was even given his own food even though we had brought his own, (must have put on a stone he loved it :)
The hotel is in a quiet part of yarmouth but within walking distance of all attractions. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, made our stay in Yarmouth one to remember.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
It was a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us and thank you for the review. The smiles your son gave me every morning made it all worth while. Even though the smiles were because I carried food not because I was his favourite !!
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

First time I have stayed at the Southern Hotel, I was very impressed. Upon my arrival I was met by Sally ( the owner) staight away you felt at home, I stayed in Room 5 which was a Premier room, it was very clean, good size room and very comfortable bed, and the mini fridge was a bonus.The breakfast was great, all cooked fresh and a good choice and excellent service.The hotel is located very close to the beach.I will return very soon, and I would recommend that you try this gem of a hotel, you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank slowman36
Thank you for your review we look forward to seeing you again soon
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Nice hotel, friendly staff, rooms clean and well presented. Shame about the area, great Yarmouth really is run down. Put this hotel in London and would be a winner. However if great yarmouth is your thing, then this is the hotel.

Only one bad point, parking is bad.

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

Excellent service, tasty breakfast, wonderful room and good nights sleep - what more could you ask for at such a bargain price?

Stayed on business and would not hesitate to recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2012
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Thank you for the great review, we really enjoyed your company and hope to see you again.
West Midlands, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed at the Southern while on business last week and my stay was fine.
Upon arrival I was greeted by landlady who is very pleasant and she showed me to my room and put the heating on.
Room 15 was not exactly as nice as the ones pictured so I felt a little let down as the photos were one of the selling points, however it was spotlessly clean. Even the glass in the shower was streak free. I have stayed in three hotels a week for two years so little details like that stand out.
There was also a bottle of water which again is a very welcome touch.
I was looking forward to dinner as the menu in the brochure sounded excellent but Sally said there were only three guests in the hotel so it wasn't worth cooking. I was disappointed because both nights I went out to restaurants and spent 40 quid a night so maybe it would have been worth cooking.
The bed was comfortable as were the pillows and the sheets were spotlessly clean. My one complaint with the bed is that it isn't attached to the wall and it's on a laminate floor, so every slight movement especially by the morning, the bed moves down the room and the pillows fall down the back of the bed.
A dog... barks every morning. Thankfully I had ear plugs.
I didn't try the breakfast but I am sure it would be great.
The shower was terrible though. Very poor water pressure and only ever got lukewarm
I tried this morning afternoon and night and always the same over two days.

My overall thoughts are that ... it was ok. I certainly wouldn't have been happy had I paid the full price but 29 pounds on laterooms with breakfast was good.
My view and I stress this is only MY personal view is that this should be listed as a guest house as I would expect much more from a hotel.
Having stayed in two hotels of a similar standard since this stay, I stand by that.
I personally wouldn't stay again BUT would recommend it to anybody who is seeking a pleasant very clean accommodation in Great Yarmouth with decent parking and close to the front.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PonsonbySmythe
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
As the pleasant lady who showed this guest to his room I am unsure how I feel about his review but would comment as follows
1) There was no mention that the £24.17 + VAT was for a single room and we actually put this
guest in a room with a double bed.
2) We have various types of rooms from 4 poster, premier rooms and standard rooms, all of
which are shown on our laterooms advertisement.
3) I certainly did not say it wasn't worth cooking what I actually said was that as my husband
only uses fresh not frozen food it is not cost effective for us to cook for 1 or 2 guests. We
could have recommeded several really good restaurants where you could eat for a lot lot
less than £40
4) There most certainly is a laminate floor in room 15 but also a large rug which normally
keeps the bed in place.
5) If we had been told about the problem with the shower, we would have shown how to turn
the shower head to the correct position to increase pressure and to get the water heat
increased.
We have never had a complaint about the rooms at this price and are sorry that this guest expected a premier room at this price.

We are pleased that he felt that the rooms are spotlessly clean as was the bedlinen and that are beds are comforetable and appreciated our attention to detail with the complimentary water on the hospitality tray
Graded 4* Guest Accommodation we advertise as such, this is between a hotel and a guest house.
Recommendations in any form are always welcome and to be described as pleasant and very clean is what our staff and my husband and I aspire to achieve.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

We are staying at the southern while working at a company on the quay. We have 6 rooms a mix of normal and superior all are very clean comfortable and warm. We have a good nite sleep and can walk to work. When working early about 6.00 we are given a takeaway with drink fruit sardines and yogurt. This place is better than some hotels that cost a lot more and we stay all over

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Mygrayvan
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
When this review was first displayed I was very pleased with the lovely review, however it has been pointed out to me a few times that I supply sardines !!! This review was obviously done from a mobile with predictive text on . I do believe this should read sandwiches not sardines !!!