“Many Thanks”
Review of The Sea Princess

The Sea Princess
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Many thanks to the staff of Hadleigh Gables Hotel. We stayed for a long weekend on the 26tyh of July. We went with my son and his family. They had a lovely family room overlooking the beach. We had a smaller room but we asked to be next door and the room for just my husband and I was sufficient for the weekend. The large room was lovely, the shower rooms could do with refurbishing but both rooms were clean as was the bed linen and towels etc.
The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. Everyone went out of their way to make sure our stay was a pleasant one. The weekend porter/bar man I think his name was Denny went out of his way to help and could not do enough for us. John the manager made sure we had a nice room and was extremely helpful in this matter.
The hotel is in a fabulous position just accross from the beach but on the quieter North end.
Yarmouth has something to do for all ages and is a very nice clean seaside resort and is a short distance from the lovely Norfolk broads.

Room Tip: The family room overlooking the beach is a lvely room with a view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Very good overall, no hotel is perfect. Arriving early at 9,30 we asked if we could park on site and was placed out the way arround the back. when we werer ready to leave someone had blocked the way out so that myself and another car could not get out.It is hotel policy that you leave your car keys at reception so it was not there fault.The manager spent an hour and half searching yarmouth and found the persons and brought the keys back and moved the car!Above and beyond the call duty you could say. Could'nt ask more than that .Brilliant!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Oh give em a break, it’s not that bad!

Having read some of the (admittedly amusing) comments about this establishment, we arrived expecting the worst. Anyway, we checked-in. No sign of Basil, Cybil or Manuel - he was probably listening to Russell Brand on Desert Island Discs. It was a perfectly normal reception, not a moose-head in sight! Okay, the parking IS a bit tight, but no worries, Basil … I mean ‘the proprietor’ sorts it all out for you, and will even park your Austin Allegro if you let him. YES the interior layout might befuddle anyone not brought-up on The Adventure Game or The Crystal Maze, but as a spatially-aware chap, I was able to easily navigate my space-hopper past the Vortex and through the 70s Zone to our seafront superior room. Get one of these; they’re good - if you like purple and can live with your grandma’s old carpet! We passed a few open doors and some of the lesser rooms are indeed ‘cupboards’. The breakfast is fine too: get your egg fried though. And yes, Basil DOES take all your Drogna in advance – but that’s mentioned up-front so remember to read the small print!

It’s also worth noting that H.G is only a ‘self-certified’ Four Star, which is a bit like saying your prowess with a Peter Powell Stunt Kite qualifies you to the left-hand seat in the cockpit of a 747 (keeping the 70s theme alive there). Remember though, this IS Great Yarmouth. We like it because of the lovely beach. But I’ve never seen so much bipedal lard since the late night Sumo on Channel-4 (remember that, or did I just make it up?). I’d better stop there … I think I’ve got heatstroke. Wow, it’s just like 1976!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

So we got a room quite nice size, the male worker currently on was excellent! Told us everything we needed to know.. Then when we got back at 10/11pm due to us being in the separate rooms to the main hotel, the front door was closed. And we had not got a key for it! As the door wasn't suppose to be closed, luckily for us a lady had just come back and tried all 5 of her keys to see if she had one, which she did. We had the bathroom light flickering whenever we wanted to go toilet we'd use our phone lights or leave the door ajar, not sure if we were next to stairs, it was really loud come night time, the people upstairs sounded like they were moving furniture. But the second day we come to breakfast, not the best food, but the waitresses were nice and polite. Scrambled egg was basically milk. But as we spoke to the manager the night after our stay about it, they exchanged our room to a sea view and of better quality and luxury! They said they would refund it, but in it being just a 2 night stay and if we couldn't find anywhere else to go, it would be a pain. And the rest of our stay was absolutely lovely!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank KellyMarieDon
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Travelled with Harry Shaw for 5 days (3-7Jun), BUT I had to go to A&E on the Sat PM with Pancreatitis and was kept in.. so my Wife went and took our 4 ½ yr old Grandson. I was out Hospital on the Tuesday evening.
The Hotel was not too bad, the room was a bit small (room 24) with a basin in the room rather than in the bathroom and the Shower smelt musty or whatever.. ugh.
Had a good view of the Sea, the room over the bar/entertainment so you hear the sounds until 11PM. Not good if you wanted to get some kip early.
The room was kept clean, linen was fine and the Décor was OK, but you could hear the guests in next room, thin walls!!
Food was passable, Breakfast was good tho’, for evening meal our Grandson who is 4 ½ was given adult portions… then told them to give him Kiddies meals … but it took some time to get the right.
Only had a good meal only on one day…..
At least my grandson enjoyed the trip to the Seaside….

Doubt if will go back there again…..

Room Tip: keep away room 24
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Radioham16
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night and that was a night too long the room was not pleasant at all the extractor fan did not work in the so called en suit the window was not frosted so at night the hotel opposite could see you showering with only a net at the window the sink was in the bedroom itself the curtains did not fully close or open fully I tried to wait and see if another room was better but after overhearing some other guests talk about their rooms I could not stay any longer. I am not surprised that there is no room for cancelling or getting any of your money back as that is the only way they can keep going this is the first time I have ever checked out after one night especially as I had booked 4 nights. The electrical side of the room I am very surprised that there are passed stickers on them seeming the bedside light cable is just taped together with masking tape. The breakfast was tepid but edible. I have pictures to prove how bad the room is.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Jane G
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed here for 1 night as had a function down the road. Having read the reviews I wasn't expecting much as the the reviews varied from really good to really bad.
There were 4 couples so needed 4 double rooms which not many places in the area could accommodate us for the 1 night. We arrived at 1.30pm and managed to get parked as parking is limited but if you park on the road it is free after 6pm which was handy to know.
We came through the main door and didn't really know where the reception was, eventually saw a sign on a door but feel they need something bigger on the wall as you walk in, but check in was very easy and staff friendly. You have to pay up front but to be perfectly honest it makes checking out really easy as well.
We were given our key straightaway and directed to where we needed to go. Did find the number order of the rooms a little confusing but we found our room easy enough. Our room had obviously been recently decorated as it looked very fresh, it was a decent size, but 2 of our other rooms booked were very small. View out of our window was the side of the hotel next door but this didn't bother us as we were in our room for 5 minutes and came back for an hour to get ready for the evening.
Bathroom was adequate enough but one of our party had no hot water. We were able to open the window as the room got very hot but once again one of our party couldn't as the window was screwed down.
Breakfast the following morning, we were greeted by the manager who explained the cereal, drink etc, he showed us where to sit but I asked if ok to sit with some of our party and he was very accepting of that. The waitress came up and we ordered coffee, she brought that out with some toast and we gave our order which came out within minutes. It was basic - 1 sausage, 1 bacon, 1 egg, 1 fried bread with mushrooms and a choice of either tomato' s or beans. It was just right to eat and wasn't a problem when we wanted more coffee or toast.
Check out was easy, just handed our key in and the manager was friendly, we left the car there and popped into town.
I have rated a 4 - for what you pay it was good, if you want something better then pay more money. It was clean and comfortable and just right for what we wanted.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple