“Vauxhall Let down”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Vauxhall Let down”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed here for the last week of August, 2011. We had hired out 2 of their mid range static caravans for a family holiday. At first all seemed fine. Vans were clean and tidy with new bed linen provided. Once the excitement of being away subsided, as you do, you check to make sure all is as it should be. We were missing a breakfast bowl, 3 supplied but inventory said 4, and there was 4 of us, a couple of kitchen utensils, clothes airer and the remote for the telly. This was spread between the 2 vans. We approached the reception to report the missing items and was abruptly told, "we do not replace stolen or missing item"! So now what? we have 2 vans both with items missing, so use each others bits and carry on. Not a good start.

The sofas were huge and comfy, the galley style kitchen spacious for its size. The beds......they squeak every time you move. A good nights sleep, NO WAY!! The master bedroom, if you can call it that, is tiny. One person at a time to get changed, CLIMB over the bed to get to the other side.... just a joke, especially for me being 6ft tall. The bathroom had a wiff so we bought and airfreshner and left the window open for the whole duration.

The evening entertainment was good, but the hall has nowhere near enough seats for the size of the park. Shows start at 7 with doors opening at 645. Be there then or stand till 9 or later!! Kids shows are great to be fair with a lot of interaction for them. For the adults, well.... the entertainments manger thinks he can sing! LOL!! not only did he just look wrong when trying, he even forgot the words!! Stick to presenting, YOU CAN'T SING!!! He looked like freddie mercury, but sounded like snoppy on helium, PATHETIC!

The outdoor eating area never seemed to be cleaned, with sticky tables and rubbish bins overflowing. Food is borderline extortion, but the chippy is fair. The main restaurant was a no go due to pricing and quality. The swimming pool, whilst very safe, was half closed with no flumes, no outdoor pool "in working order"?? what ever that means. The one thing I did hate about the pool was that it was dirty. Hair, plasters and whatever else people can drop in a pool was present!

We only see the park to town bus once for the whole week, so for me, this was a busmans holiday having to drive everyday. Asda being 5 minutes down the road is a godsend. The beach front is 10-15 minutes depending on traffic and it does get busy.

Great Yarmouth is great. I have been going to the broads for years and fancied a change to boating. NEVER AGAIN!!! With poorly kitted caravans, obnoxious beds and dirty eateries, we most certainly will not be venturing to Vauxhall Holiday Park again.

I have since emailed the Park manager twice regarding our stay. The first time I heard nothing so called to see why he had not replied. He told me, "our internet was down and we had no email service for 2 days. Please resend it and I will deal with it promptly." So, being the modern age that we are, I re-sent it whilst on the phone. Guess what? No answer.

NEVER NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
13 Thank gmoorey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

just back from the Elvis week,we stayed in the apartments they are not five star.Bedding didnt fit the beds quit covers and pillows dont do up as all of the fastening are broken.Terrible musty smell and sewage smell in the bathroom, we brought pluging and sented candle to hide the smells.The arcade didnt open till gone 2pm and then shut really early.The shop is really over priced thank goodness for asda down the road.the regency room is big but very cold and had a wee smell in it, the bar staff in there were miserable and was expensive.The v lounge is lovely,warm,comfortable and the bar staff were really nice but if you have children they cannt go in there..There was very little to do for myself or my son.We was very bored as there is no beach in walking distance and we couldnt find the bus stop.He did like the swimming and it was very safe,The site is also safe as there security on the front gate after 7pm.I would never return to this site as its just not our thing,you need a car to get round and it smells of sewage....

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ArronJM19
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Stayed for the elvis festival staff very friendly, found restaruant quite expensive and bar prices high guests were bringing in own drinks
caravan was excellent
would return

• Stayed September 2011
Northampton
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Just got back from Elvis Week and have had a wonderful time. From checkin to checkout the staff were all superb and a credit to the camp.

We had a Platinum Falcon caravan which was excellent. One of the newer ones on camp. Absolutely spotless when we arrived. Two bathrooms, flatscreen TVs in living room and bedroom, microwave and fridge freezer. The facilities in each type of caravan are clearly denoted in the booking process, so I don't know why some people have been disappointed by their own vans. Just make sure you check when you book.

I don't know which ballroom the previous poster was in, but nowhere on the camp did we smell any stale or unpleasant smells. We commented on how spotless everything was, particularly for this stage in the season, compared to other camps we have been on.

There are two entertainment rooms, a sports bar and the bar in the Reedcutters. Foodwise we use the Reedcutters restaurant a couple of times - this was excellent, as was the fish & chip shop and the American fast food shop. I can't comment on the usual entertainment as most of the bands had been brought in for Elvis Week, however, our bands were superb. Some of the regular camp competitions in the evening were a bit tedious and out of place in the Elvis Week so we have made them aware for next time. However, the fun stuff during the day was fun. We have booked for next year already. The only area I have marked it down on is value for money as food and drink could be a bit cheaper.

Room Tip: Check the caravan specifications when you book!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank helbrown
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We spent a week camping here last year and the previous year and had a lovely time. But having spent a weekend camping this year have decided not to return again.
The camp site is lovely and clean and the pitches are very large and well spaced out. The entertainment is terrible this year for kids, and the adult entertainment wasn't as good this year either and was on far too late.
The food in the restaurant was good but the little outlets dotted around are terrible.
The club is very big so no trouble getting a seat, not a fan of the table layout though. The carpet needs a really good clean, it stinks of stale urine and beer and it hits you as soon as you enter.
The park is in a great location though and is within driving distance to lots of places of interest.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank heidi-ann75
Thetford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My wife and i booked to go on this camp via an Elvis theme week. This was our first holiday for 13 years and was looking forward to it. On our arrival which we had the privilege of checking in at 2 o'clock rather than 4 due to the more expensive accommodation you had. We got our 1 key and went to our caravan called kestrel in the platinum range. Well after removing the cob webs around the door we entered to a really damp smell and then i clapped my eyes on the t.v which was about a 10 inch screen. There was bits over the carpet and then my wife saw a soiled towel in the bathroom floor and in the bedroom was a pungent smell of urine. We just stared at each over in disbelieve but that was better than looking out of the " with individual settings and landscaping, the wow factor starts in the lounge area " all there was was another caravan. WOW. We went and complained to reception who apologised and said the cleaners should be sacked, she told us she would find us somewhere else than gave us a choice of staying where we were or moving location to another platinum. There was no way we wanted to go back to the one we was in as that smell stuck with you. We asked to upgrade and pay the difference but was told this was all they had left. We got to our platinum Grouse and how basic this was i can not imagine what the lower standard was. We thought well lets just make a holiday out of this and just smile but then i notice we had bought ice with us at the shop to the notice they only have a fridge and no freezer. Watching t.v was annoying as the picture goes off and on and the sound kept going mono and stereo on the screen all the time. We went to the bar which was very over priced. When we returned to sleep we noticed ear wigs on our bed and up the walls i both bedrooms so i had to get our bedding out and we said we would sleep in the lounge and because of the vents you could not close the draught was blowing through and was very cold this was also because the fire and the heating did not work in this caravan. I do not think this was supposed to be let out due to need of repair. Soon as daylight came we decided to go home. We went to hand our key in and was listening to a disabled customer who had paid for disabled facilities but was told she had to use a communal shower no where near her caravan and was not sure if the locked work of which her response was disgusting..!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Eden K
Essex
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I am writing this review whilst still at vauxhall. We leave tomorrow. I have just read some comments on trip advisor and feel that I need to respond as some of them are really off the mark. We are staying in a brydon suite, which in real terms means that we are in a two bedroomed challet. We paid just under 300.00 for a Friday to Monday short break.

I came here armed with my bottle of bleach and some anti bacterial surface wipes, and I honestly did not need to. Although very basic, its the cleanest challet I have ever stayed in. The fridge, cooker and micro were all spotless. I was actually impressed. Much better than the cleanliness at executive houses we have stayed in at centre parks.

When we arrived we had to make the beds with linen supplied. It was clean but very very well worn and could do with updating. We were given a six pound electric card when we arrived which is more than ample for a weekend : Friday to Monday stay.

I heard no car noise from boy racers and we were very near the road.

The pool area is nice, if a little on the small side but my daughter loved it, esp the small slide at the top of the pool. The life guards are on the ball and they are on duty both inside and outside in the splash pool, which by the way is freezing but the kids don't seem to mind one bit. As has been mentioned previously, the changing rooms are very very small, one adult and one child max. The floors of the changing rooms are dirty but I did see one life guard with a mop trying to keep the floor clean.

The tree house play area was good but I had to complain about the amount of litter on the floor of this play area at reception, and within twenty minutes the litter was being picked up.

Jelly bean and her assistants in the den are lovely. They are not child minders but are really good at keeping the kids entertained.

Adventure golf is good. 2.50 per person and I thought it was worth the money.

We also hired a two seater bike thing for half an hour which was 5.00. My little one loved this and half an hour is ample time to have a look around the site.

Some people said that the restaurant called reed cutters is expensive. I did not think so at all. For a huge plate of fish chips and peas its 8.95. A sirloin steak is about 15.50 which is a little on the expensive side but that is pretty much the most expensive thing on the menu. We did not have breakfast in reed cutters but did have the carvery today which was lovely, three courses for under 13.00. Can't go wrong for that price really. The girls that work in the restaurant are nice enough but customer service is not their forte. They are not rude but are not as pro active as they could be. I noticed a lot of dirty tables and jobs that could have been done when the girls were standing about chatting. Perhaps I noticed this more because its my industry. Also, a smile when they serve you would be nice.

We arrived on Friday and are leaving tomorrow. We have seen the entertainment for the past three nights and its first class. The singers, groups, stand ups and bands they have had here are great. Bobby davro was here last night and I laughed all night even though I would not normally watch him on tv.

The ents manager Neil seems like a nice enough chap but does not have that much of a personality. My other half thought he was awful. I would not go that far but he is fairly monotone. Anyway, he has a great team working with him and there are some great singers on his team. Some of which would put some x factor contestants to shame. We saw a Disney show this eve which kept my five year old enthralled for ages. The costumes, dancing and singing were good.

Bar prices are the same thereabouts as a pub, so could be a bit cheaper bearing in mind they have a captive audience. As some other people have mentioned, we took our own drinks into the ents room.

We tried the seafood stall, and the fish and chips stall. Both very good and you can take your purchases into the ents room, so if you fancy a bag of chips at half ten at night whilst watching the evenings ent, then that's ok.

All in all, we would come back here, but for no more than a few days. May try a static caravan next time.

• Stayed September 2011