“Had a great time - minor niggles”

Vauxhall Holiday Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Had a great time - minor niggles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Caravan was a Kestrel. Smaller than we are used to (we knew that on booking - only 2 bedrooms rather than 3) but immaculate. Nice shower - powerful but slippy. Great cooker. Could have done with better knives. Having a music system that pipes music into each room is a great idea but totally useless for me as it was CD only and had nowhere to plug an ipod into. I haven't had CDs for years! TV signal was variable - but we weren't there to watch TV.

Park - much of the park is tourers. I do go camping but don't think I would here - it seemed very cramped and packed in close together. Perhaps its just personal preference. The static caravans were also packed in - I'm sure they are legal and safe - just seemed packed in. The site is nice - but not many big open spaces.
The toilets for the tourers near the main complex stunk.

Facilities
Pool is great. They swim test kids before letting them go on the big slide as the landing pool is deep. This is a great idea but apparently many parents get stroppy and argue with the lifegaurds over this. It was very hot but outdoor pool was far too cold to use which was a shame.

There are a couple of soft play areas for which its parents responsibility to supervise - they don't of course. My kids are small and a couple of times I had to step in and stop violent behaviour from older kids who shouldn't even have been on there. Apart from one occasion I was the only parent even bothering to supervise my kids on the soft play - and this was before peak season so probably worse over the holidays.

AMusements are ok - lots of them give those ripoff tickets as prizes to exchange for cheap crap. Bit of a shame as the kids all fall for it and think they are doing well when they end up with 100's of worthless tickets with which they buy cheap plastic rubbish.

We ate in the main restaurant - very nice pub type food - if a little pricey.

Evening - Evening in the Regency room - hmm... Mixed bag really. There were fancy dress competitions which we did not know about in advance so couldn't enter - shame. The email we got a couple of days before going *could* have informed us of this. There was a magician for the kids who was fantastic towards the beginning of the week. Kids were howling with laughter. 30 minutes a night with Louie the lion. Other than that - mostly left me cold. Glow in the dark puppets were good for 10 minutes - but went on for nearly an hour. I did buy the DVD - the kids loved them - I'm not the target audience. Lee Evans tribute seemed popular.

Generally, compared to other parks I have stayed at - it all kicked off an hour later than usual at quarter to 7. There was much less entertainment aimed at toddlers. I would prefer a toddler show, some dancing then some older stuff. Instead we got a couple of dances, a talent show or something similar, Louie the lion then something else. Seemed a bit haphazard and not really catering towards its young audience.

Location - great. close to Yarmouth.

We spent lots of time at Gorleston beach - lovely beach - far better and less commercial than Yarmouth.

Food - chippy, pizza, coffee shop, shellfish, kebabery (closed for the week), American takeaway.
It was ok but not great.

Chippy - long wait - seemed to cook things an order at a time. Took 25 minutes rather than the 10 they said then messed up my order and wanted me to wait another 15 minutes!

Pizza - took 20 minutes rather than the 10 they said, burnt part of my order then made me wait another 15 minutes. Pizza was lightly cooked at best and not very nice.

American place seemed ok - no long wait and edible.

Bar - prices were ok - similar to South East pub prices. Staff were many, not very busy and helpful.

Gift shop - there is the obligatory shop selling character toys.

Payments - annoyingly, in several places where you spend a significant amount of money (the photo-shop (£30) and the gift shop in the corner of the Regency room (£30)) - they only take cash. I expect to be able to pay with a card for this amount of money.

Crazy golf - was fantastic and cheap at £3. The one on the seafront in Yarmouth is not as good and costs £7.

Bike hire was fun and the man working on it was great.

Overrall - far better than many parks I've seen. I would recommend if staying in a static caravan. If camping you might end up close to the entertainment complex or near the road and suffer with noise - best to make a request when booking.

Great.

Room Tip: Book away from the road if possible.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
VauxhallHolidayPark, Public Relations Manager at Vauxhall Holiday Park, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Acornise,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. We have read all your points and hope to answer a few of the questions you raised below:-

Park
- When a touring booking is made we do inform how big the pitch is to ensure its adequate for the holidaymakers needs. Touring is very popular and it’s priced per pitch per night (rather than per person) and with the hot weather at the moment everyone seems to want to camp!
- Tents get getting bigger every year and we have ‘Super pitches’ available which offer extra space.
- The holiday homes are correctly spaced in-line with health and safety laws and we fulfill the legal requirement, monitored closely by local authorities.

Evening
- We do post the entertainment schedule on facebook beforehand, though take your comments on board about notifying you of fancy dress competitions. We try to provide entertainment to suit all ages, from Louie the Lion to comedians, cabaret, dancers, and magicians, and will pass your feedback on to the entertainment team.

Food Outlets
- Sorry to hear of your comments about the fast food outlets and waiting times. We will investigate.

Many thanks again for taking the time to leave us a review. We are so pleased to hear you had a great time and would recommend us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place is not has good has it sounds the toilets are very dirty with mess on the floors it is between two rads so if you have kds you can't sleep at night for the noise the entertainment is the same every night I we came home one day to find another caravan on our pich with us as if they ain't small another to start with when we complaind about this they didn't want to no and told like it or leave so not very happy also the grass on the pitches are more like mud do not go next time we will be going to searls of Hunstanton much better service

4 Thank James M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Vauxhall holiday park offers everything you need for a great family holiday. From children's clubs, swimming pools and a sports bar during the day, to family or over 18s entertainment in the evening there is always something to do. The shower and toilet facilities are starting to look a bit tired but are nowhere near the worse I have come across. A special mention to the entertainment team; Tracy, Ashley, Tom, Andy and everyone else, you all do a fantastic job. Less than 5mins from Great Yarmouth and lots of places close by it is an ideal location. Can't wait to go back.

UK, Nr Stansted A-port
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a weeks stay at the Vauxhall Holiday park and overall we have all had a wonderful time. Having had several small holidays to Gt Yarmouth we always thought it was a bit of a lottery where you stay and what your caravan will be like. We have stayed in some shockers. But.....Vauxhall was a very pleasant surprise. First....

Reception, My booking could not be located when we arrived... Oh oh I thought, here we go. But we were quickly checked into the static on my reservation and everything was clean and linen was ready for us. Also the reception staff, Taylor I think helped me out when I left my laundry in the dryer by asking one if the security men to open the door. Nothing seemed to much trouble and all reception staff were polite and courteous.

The Static, we stayed in a Mallard that slept 4 of us comfortably, it was clean and functional with hot water and basically everything we needed. Only upgrade could be the drab curtains and get rid of the tiny CRT televisions. Overall very good.

The site, the site was safe and well lit. It seemed secure and security were mostly visible. But not obtrusive. The caravans were a little close together for my liking. We were not near the road and our only disturbances were a few late revellers and the gulls. Nothing we didn't expect.

Facilities, we used the pool extensively, only the inside one though the outside splash area was tested by my 2 but even they said it was freezing! Put the heating on! The indoor one was fab though, a large pool and a smaller one with a small rapid bit. Also there is a baby pool and slide plus a bigger slide. Lifeguards were very on the ball and I felt for them sometimes with idiotic teens who simply cannot appreciate others who want to use the pool with small children. One fool jumped blindly back onto me and my son and sent him under. All was well however and the lad was warned. I put it down to hormones and boys will be boys. There is also a large amusements area with decent prizes in the 2p machines but get boring after a day or 2, a small pay as you go kart track, a large play area, mini golf that is £3 a person is a little steep though! this includes even my 3 year old..who can't even hold the putter properly.

Entertainment, we sampled the entertainment twice so my 2 could have a dance and run around. But it was a bit repetitive, having said that the entertainment team gave their all and were fully committed to getting everyone to have fun.

Food and Drink. The woodcutters is a nice restaurant with helpful and courteous staff. They do theme nights, we had the carvery which would rival any Toby. Also we tried the curry night, the children ate from the normal menu which was good value and good sized portions. Over all the prices are reasonable and the quality was actually very good. There is a sports bar with snooker and pool tables and air hockey. It is nice the kids are all welcome as me and my wife can play a rare game of pool as well as help the LO with air hockey duels. My only gripe is the price of the alcoholic drinks. £3.50 a pint / Smirnoff ice is a bit high and could come down 50p however the children's cordials are only 50p and is very reasonable.

We had a lovely stay and will happily return in the future, as the title says one of the best sites in the area and in my humble opinion is far better than the Haven/Park Dean places we have stayed on in the past. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Hertford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just back from a weeks stay in a platinum caravan. It was lovely and clean when we arrived (best we have ever stayed at. However this was let down by the beds not being made.
The facilities within the caravan were excellent, the shower was roomy and powerful.
You have to look in your pack and use the electric power cards (this was not fully explained at check in but is detailed in the welcome pack)
The swimming pool was clean, and the lifeguards won us over by asking our child to perform a swim test to ensure she was capable to do the red slide - we were really impressed with the safety side of this. A credit to the park.
The amusements were great, small soft play area, lots of machines to win tickets on ranging from 2p - 10p.
There are a wide range of food outlets. Americana, fish and chips, pizza, kebabs (closed while we were there), coffee shop and shellfish. The food was nice but pricy (although you expect this as you are a captive audience)
The Clubhouse was really spacious, and has tv screens all around so no matter where you are sitting you can see the stage/acts. Doors open at 6.45pm.
When we were there it was not too busy, so queuing was not necessary - but I can imagine in peak season you will need to.
The entertainment team were ok!!!
We never needed to use the daytime activities as the weather was amazing we hit the beach at Gorleston every day.
As for the evening time, they were ok but could be more engaging with the kids. They bring out Loui Lion for 30 mins every night in my opinion they could of done more.
Take a fancy dress costume for your little ones, there is also a talent show for 12-17 year olds too.
There is an artist and a photographer who take family portraits. The price is very reasonable and the pictures we got were lovely. (£27 for 3 pictures)
The park itself is very clean, and very large. Lots of camping space.
The shop on site is small, but you have an Asda just down the road so don't panic!
The crazy golf is amazing and only £3 each. Defiantly worth a go.
The panning for gold costs £2 and the kids enjoyed it.
Overall we had a fantastic time, I have only given it 4 as the beds were not made, the mattresses have plastic backing so when you move in your sleep the bedding comes off, the toilets near the swimming pool smelt (both ladies and gents) the cost of the food places and the quality of the entertainment team.

Rayleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Lovely and well kept camp in a beautiful part of England.

Lots for the children to do, and really great swimming pool hours compared to other more 'famous' holiday camps! Kids loved being able to access all day and into the early evening.

Entertainments manager Tom was always on hand to listen to suggestions or ideas holiday makers might have.

We stayed in a 'Bronze Swan' caravan, so the cheaper end but it was clean and well kept.

Will definitely return!

1 Thank Rachie15021973
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Just came back from a 4 night stay in a gold caravan which was lovely.very modern and clean.lovely reception lady plea sent and couldnt help enough when checkin in. The park it's self was great.kept very clean.good pool and kids play area and amusement. Entertainment in the evening was good for the kids.especially the dayglow puppets.bar staff a bit rude. 4 of them kept chatting as I was clearly stood there waiting to be servered. Had a pizza from one of the food kiosk which all seed to be run be school leavers who didn't have a clue what they were doin. Didn't taste of anything.nice seafood bar and kids snack kiosk.overall had nice time.would visit again and recomenend it for familys

• Stayed July 2014