“Clean, very friendly staff, good breakfast & free WiFi!”
Review of Gable End Hotel

Gable End Hotel
Ranked #39 of 99 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed here March 2014 whilst away with work. Corporate travel booked the accommodation and I never know what to expect. This place was a bit like staying over a relatives house! It was warm and homely and whilst a bit dated interior it is very clean and the staff are very friendly.

I was checked in, shown how to get in/out of the front door using the key fob, shown the breakfast area, the bar and then to my room. My room was a typical B&B room, bed, desk, tv and en-suite toilet/shower. Perfectly fine for what I wanted, with a added bonus of free Wifi.

I ate out at an Indian just down the road that was just ok, and had a drink in the bar that was reasonably priced. Sleep was ok, the only comment is the windows are single glazed so any noise outside you will hear, especially if you are a light sleeper (like me!). Breakfast is served by a super friendly chef who is eager to cook whatever you like...and exactly to your own taste. I had Full English with all the trimmings along with toast, coffee and juice. Perfect start to the day.

I would stay here again next time and recommend to anyone needing accommodation in this area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 March 2014

When I arrived I was met by a scruffy looking young chap who didn't have much to say or ask me, but showed me how the electric front door lock worked (which is a nice touch and saves fumbling for keys), showed me the dining room and then showed me my room.

All I can remember that he said about my room though was: "This bed's the least squeakiest". (I had a twin room, I've no idea if this intentional because my work booked it for me, and I'm not against sleeping in a single bed so didn't think it was worth mentioning). Both beds were squeaky, I slept in the better of the two and any movement in the night made a noise, but otherwise the bed was ok, not particularly comfortable, but OK. I didn't bother trying the other bed.

The room was reasonable too, although it was small for a twin, and the two plug sockets accessible from the bed were behind it, which I had to move it away from the wall a good few inches every day to plug my laptop and phone in, only for it to be moved back when housekeeping came. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning. Maybe you could get an extension lead in place between the two beds so that plugs are easier to access?

The building was fairly old, and whenever anyone walked down the second floor corridor there was a surprisingly loud noise, it sounded like it emanated from the wardrobe. But I've stayed in hotels that cost much more than this that suffered from similar problems, so again, not a big deal.

I stayed for a few nights, I can't remember exactly how many, but the only time I saw any other members of staff other than check-in was the chef at breakfast. Who, I have to say, was fantastic. He cooked everything exactly as I'd like it and was mostly there when I wanted more juice or coffee. I say mostly, you don't have free access to the coffee or the juice, which seemed odd, yes sometimes it's nice to not have to get off your seat, but on the one occasion when I fancied another juice and the chef wasn't about, I had to wait. And that's when I was the only guest down for breakfast. A jug on one of the tables to serve yourself would be an improvement I think, even if someone serves you 99% of the time, but the breakfast was very nice, so thank-you.

The majority of the building had been recently decorated and whilst quite eccentric, was clean and tidy. The room I was in however was very dated and simple, but again, clean.

Location wise, it's right on the front. About a 15 minute walk to the town centre, pleasure beach, piers etc. And has a nice duck pond and garden to walk around just over the road.

All in all, I'd stay there again if in the area and working to a similar budget, but there were some things that could have been improved. I'd rather rate this a 3.5 star to be honest, it was a bit better than average, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was very good. Value-wise however, it was, so I'll err on the side of praise.

Room Tip: I have no idea if my work booked me a twin, or if this was the only room available, but it's wor...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Waterboyham
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed over for one Saturday evening, I booked online, really simple & efficient
The hotel is very clean, we stayed in room 3 with a sea view, service & staff very good
Would highly recommend a stay

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank steve a
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Booked this on laterooms at next to no notice for them, and literally 2 minutes later a polite call to confirm our booking!

Greeted on arrival by a lovely chap, and booked in swiftly and shown to our room.

The room was pleasant, modern, and extremely comfortable. Its not the ritz, but a great standard for what price bracket this hotel is in.

Everything in good order, great comfortable nights sleep and a cracking breakfast in the morning. All for under £50 for a night for the two of us!

Well done Stella! hope to see you in a few weeks for more fun!

Debbie and Neal *(The Aylesbury Crew)

x

Room Tip: Dont choose room 11. Thats our room, we love it and we want to keep it!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We spent two nights at the hotel, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was very good with plenty of choice variations on the cooked breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable and warm, my only one criticism would be that it had single glazed windows and in the winter there is a lot of condensation, though this certainly will not stop me from staying again, and I am sure given time they will be replaced. I would certainly recommend it for a short or longer stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaryhenP
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Clean and tidy rooms with TV and coffee making facilities. Very friendly and welcoming staff. Good breakfast and evening meals which are fresh and hot. Great value for money. All in all a good place to stay even out of season.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

A nice place, I've stayed away from home a lot, never here though, it's not the Ritz, but for value for money, I give it a thumbs up! Thanks! Oh, I have to put 200 characters on a review, blah blah! Etc lol

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business