“Excellent all round.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grant Arms Hotel
Dronfield
“Excellent all round.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We have used this hotel three years previously and we were pleased then. The hotel is just as good if not better; food, cleanliness and all the facilities you would expect from this level of hotel are excellent. With the added bonus of the associated wildlife club which gives daily bulletins and personal advice on local wildlife, this hotel is a perfect base for wildlife and walking enthusiasts.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VernonBarker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
inverness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just returned from a very pleasant stay at the Grant Arms Hotel as part of their themed Osprey Week. Great to learn about these fantastic birds and to go and see them. Also enjoyed a lovely walk along the old railway line which we would have never found on our own.

Room Tip: We liked being in the "wing" as it's at the back of the hotel and a bit quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank InvernessTourguide
Seaton Delaval, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here for two weeks, dinner, bed and breakfast. Our room, a twin bedded one, was first class with everything we could wish for and we even received a welcome pack for Hamish.
All of our meals were served in the Lounge Bar, as we had requested when booking. We did not wish to leave Hamish either in the car or alone in a strange bedroom where he might have caused a disturbance, whilst we had our meals. All of the staff, without exception, were friendly,
welcoming and helpful. The Hotel was ideally situated to explore the surrounding area and we enjoyed many of the local walks. We were sorry to leave but will certainly be returning and will certainly have no reservations in recommending the Grant Arms Hotel.
Thank you.
Ian, Joan and Hamish Farquharson

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian Alexander F
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Nice hotel in Grantown on Spey which is a great location for a whisky tour or wildlife and nature exploring. The room was comfortable and represented good value for money. The staff were all friendly and the breakfast chef found some local speciality to interest our Swedish friends. The evening meal was great and there is not much else locally so definitely pay for it in advance.

Room Tip: Look for a room with a view towards the mountains.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Traveller11Michael
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights with my husband on a touring holiday of the area. Had a very nice room facing the road with a fabulous bathroom, recently done I think. Very friendly and accommodating staff. We had a dog with us and she was allowed in the bar , which was great. It was a lovely bar area, with nice decor.We put her in the car for dinner. She even got a goody bag on arrival! Had a lovely meal the first night in a very pleasant dining room. Venison casserole and smoked salmon. Too full for pudding! Breakfast was cooked to order with a good variety of choices, although they did run out of kippers on the second morning. They obviously cater to the nature lovers and organise walks and talks. Had we stayed longer I would have done one of these. They clearly put a lot of effort into this.
My only complaint really is that my twin bed was terribly creaky every time I turned over. It was comfortable however.

Room Tip: Rooms at front nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Once I'd found somewhere to park (the hotel doesn't have its own car park) and managed to squeeze through the tight revolving door (awkward with large bags) into the spacious lobby I was greeted warmly and directed to my room on the second floor via an ancient lift with manually-operated doors. My single room at the front of the building facing onto Grantown's main square was bright and came with plenty of storage space, a decent-sized TV, hospitality tray, free wi-fi and a large bathroom. The noise from the street outside during the late afternoon was very noticeable (so much so I thought that a window had been left open) but it was quiet in the evening. The single bed with its creaky mattress and too-soft pillows proved to be more of an obstacle to a good night's sleep than any external noise. A notice in the bathroom warned that I'd need to run the tap for a while to receive hot water - this turned out to be only too accurate.
The hotel markets itself as a base for wildlife enthusiasts, indeed I stayed here largely on the recommendation of a guest I'd met at a nearby nature reserve some months previously. My room information folder contained plenty of suggestions for wildlife-watching activities. I'd already made my own plans so didn't follow up any of these. I thought I knew the local wildlife hotspots pretty well, but some of the suggestions for walks were new to me and I resolved to give them a try at a later date.
I had dinner in the large, busy dining room, opting for the three-course menu with choices at each course. I could have had just two courses or chosen from an a la carte selection. The food was good, unpretentious, home-style cooking served up in decent portions - just the job after a day in the hills. Service was efficient and friendly. Later I visited the large hotel bar but found it almost deserted and closing early because of the lack of custom. Breakfast the next morning was the usual continental buffet supplemented by hot dishes cooked to order.
Overall I thought my one-night dinner, bed and breakfast package represented excellent value for money and will definitely return for a longer stay next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CrossDoug
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed for 4 nights, having seen the hotel advertised regularly in the RSPB magazine. Our room, a deluxe one, was large, quiet and comfortable. Meals were very good and portions suitable for walkers, although my wife who tends to not eat much meat thought the choice for vegetarians limited (one night the veggie starter had been the main veggie course the previous evening). Staff were all friendly and efficient.
Wildlife enthusiasts are targeted and lots of information provided, with some free guided walks and evening lectures. We used the information but can't comment on the guided walks and talks as we didn't join them, for various reasons. The hotel was busy with a lot of groups including coach parties for meals, but seemed to cope well.
Non-birdwatchers shouldn't be put off as the hotel is a good base for anyone wanting to tour, walk, cycle or do anything else in this special area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WildlifeWatcher90
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel
The Boat Hotel
The Boat Hotel
#1 of 1 in Boat of Garten
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,207 reviews

Been to Grant Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!