Unfortunately I was taken ill just before visiting Culdearn House and so do not visit it. My wife phoned to cancel our booking and she was taken aback by the rudeness of the owner who ranted and decidedly told her off for cancelling at the last minute. How could we know that I was going to be ill? There was no 'I hope your husband is better soon'. He demanded full payment for the bed and breakfast as well as for the dinner. I have had to cancel dinner reservations in restaurants before now and have never ever been asked to pay. Because of my illness we also had to cancel two other bed and breakfast bookings and the owners politely asked if we didn't mind if they kept their 25% deposits and didn't ask for any more money. Now I know that the Scots are as mean as their reputation.
I certainly won't consider booking again when I am next in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beatiful Victoria Country House built in 1860 which has retained many of its original features. It is now a small hotel offering fine food, excellent malts and wines and is ideally based within the heart of Speyside on the whisky and castle trails. Salmon and sea trout fishing on the nearby River Spey, 5 beautiful golf courses, steam train, funicular railway to the top of Cairngorm Mountain are all within easy short distance from the house. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Culdearn House Hotel Grantown-On-Spey
- Culdearn Hotel Grantown On Spey
- Culdearn House Grantown-On-Spey, Scotland