“could not be better”

Waverley Villa Guesthouse
St Andrews, United Kingdom
“could not be better”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

During a tour of the Highlands I needed to stop over in Grantown on Spey. Using Tripadvisor I noted the Waverley and decided to book in. I am glad that I did as the whole experience was first class. I was touring on my motorcycle and required somewhere with a garage available of under cover, I had the choice at the Waverley and Isobel and her husband were excellent hosts. The place was spotless as was the room and nothing was too much trouble. I left after a good night’s sleep and a smashing cooked breakfast. The Waverley is well worth a stop, it is five minutes walk from the centre of Grantown.

Room Tip: none neede as both excellent
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank silverdiner62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Berlin, Germany and California
Reviewed 3 August 2011

In the spring of this year, my friend and I stayed at the Villa for several nights in order to explore the Highlands. From the moment we stepped foot into the inn, from the moment that the lovely owners waved goodbye, we loved our stay here. Gerald and Isobel were extremely welcoming and hospitable, making sure that all of our needs were met, that everything was comfortable, and that we had a fulfilling itinerary planned. It definitely felt like a home away from home. Everything was very clean, the breakfast was delicious and filling (Isobel did get us to at least taste the black pudding !), and the view was lovely. They also made sure that we were outfitted correctly for our outings, providing us with maps, binoculars, etc. so that we made the most of our surroundings. We will most certainly be back !

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank archaeology88
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 17 June 2011

My friend and I stayed at Waverly Villa because of it's excellent location to local sights. Just a short drive to Inverness, the Cairngorm National Park, the Speyside Whiskey Trail, the Highlands, and Aviemore and other small cities are very close as well. The couple has two rooms available, we stayed in a room with a queen size bed and a twin bed. There is an ensuite bathroom with a shower. The decor is charming and the bed was comfortable. There is also a tv for watching at night to wind down before bed. Breakfast is served in the morning, cooked by the lovely Isobel. Breakfast consists of toast, cereal, eggs, bacon, sausage, and a slice of tomato. She also made Black Pudding for us, in a very small amount, as we weren't too sure what it would taste like. It actually wasn't too bad! I was very glad I was able to try it, though it's not my breakfast item of choice. There are a couple of hotels with restaurants that we tried. The Garth Hotel Restaurant and Bistro No. 55. All are within walking distance. There is also a pretty good chinese place as well. Waverly Villa did not have internet, but Bistro No. 55 might let you use their wireless if you are nice and eat there =) Gerald and Isobel are very sweet! They let us borrow their binoculars, gave us tips on sights to see, and when I had an unfortunate accident with my blowdry, Isobel even let me borrow one. They were seriously the sweetest couple and I would definitely love to go back and visit them someday again. We stayed for a couple of nights and I definitely would have stayed longer. I highly recommend the Glenlivet and Glenfiddich distilleries and the Speyside Steam Train. We did not go to the estate they have available for clay pidgeon or game shooting, but I am sure that would be an awesome time. You will not be dissapointed if you stay here. If you do go, tell Isobel and Gerald that Ashley from California says hi!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends