Rossmor Guest House(Grantown-on-Spey)
Ben Mhor Hotel(Grantown-on-Spey)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$106
US$103
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel(Dulnain Bridge)(Great Value!)
US$118
Dunallan House(Grantown-on-Spey)
Rosehall Guest House(Grantown-on-Spey)
Willowbank Guesthouse(Grantown-on-Spey)
Ardenbeg Bunkhouse(Grantown-on-Spey)
All reviewscrerar hotelsdinner bed and breakfastlovely hotela la carte menubit datedreception areaset menuhotel staffnight breakexcellent value for moneydb bshort breakboth nightsrelaxing staycourse mealreturn visitbarman
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Grantown on Spey is a pretty little village struggling to survive but is not being helped by the fact that most of the hotels offer no trade other than coffee between the hours of 2pm and 5pm. I stayed at the Craiglynne Hotel two days ago and was disappointed that the hotel was really tired in both its decor and ambience. My double room had a bed that was positioned against the right hand side wall which as a sleeper of the right side made it extremely difficult to get in and out of the bed. The shower and toilet were off the room accessed by a sliding door and the wash basin was situated in the bedroom. The shower resembelled a caravan shower cubicle with the shower head being so low that anyone over 5ft 3in would touch it with their head.
The water was luke warm in the hot tap at the sink even though there was a notice telling you to be cautious as the water wasExtrermely HOT!
Dinner was a choice from a limited menu and the al a carte option only offered three steaks as an alternative main course choice.
Breakfast was okay as hotel breakfasts go but I was rather surprised that I was served half a slice of black pudding and half a slice of haggis, I don't know if that was normal practice or the kitchen was merely running short of the products that morning.
It seems such a shame that Crerar have allowed this hotel to fall behind standard as it could be such an asset to a village that is struggling. I have stayed in other Crerar Hotels in Scotland and have enjoyed the experience but was dissapointed in this instance.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2011

Many thanks for the time you have taken to respond to your recent visit with us. Something i have never understood even after 30+ years is if you have a number of issues regards your stay at a hotel that people should take 5 minutes out of their time to speak to the management rather than have a response through the internet. I am sure we could have rectified a number of points that you have highlighted. On saying all of this i am extremely sorry that your stay with us was below standard and we will investigate all points highlighted.
Again my thanks for responding.

Reviewed 29 April 2011

We had dinner here, as it was a long day. I haven't had a meal as bad as this in a very long while, which is inexcusable in itself, but at the prices they charge is extortionate. For a similar price in London, I'd expect a very good meal, not the horrific plate set in front of me here.

For breakfast, we were expecting similarly low quality of food. These expectations turned out to be absurdly high. Crerar's literature gushes that "It’s a matter of local pride that our chef hand-picks high quality ingredients sourced close-by whenever possible
(transforming them into mouth-watering menus), ".... What was a tomato had been sucked of all it's moisture and left to wither before arriving on my plate. The sausage may not have legally been allowed to be called one, and I would be shocked if it contained above 10% meat, had the taste and consistency of wet sawdust.

There is a massive difference between how this hotel describes itself on its literature and the experience given. Their 'extensive a la carte menu' consisted solely of three options of steak, 'intimacy defines your dining experience' turned out to be a meal in a cavernous room decorated with all the charm of a 1930's school hall. A double room turned out to be a room with two twin beds pushed together.

I feel swindled having stayed at this hotel and would recommend nobody to stay there.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jameslondonw4
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2011

Many thanks for your comments on your recent stay with us and i am really disappointed that you did not take the time to speak to myself considering the level of dis-satisfaction that you experienced during your short stay.
We are always striving to improve our service and facilities to our guests and due to your high dis-satisfaction i would really have spoken to rather than answer through tripadvisor.
I will certainly investigate all the points you have highlighted and discuss with the relivant staff concerned.
I am really sorry that your experince was so tainted during your stay and my apoligises for this.

Reviewed 6 April 2011

Although the main season hadn't begun, the hotel staff were definitely ready to warmly welcome guests.Jan, food and beverage manager, made sure that everyone was well taken care of in the dining room and bar. Food was great with a selection to suit every taste.Rooms and beds were clean and comfortable and a great lounge to socialise in after a day of touring.The occasional evening entertainment was most enjoyable and suitable for all ages.
We would love to return to this charming highland hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to your recent visit and i am delighted everything was to your liking. Jan is definitely an asset to the hotel and we receive many good comments on both him and the rest of the staff. It has been a long winter and we are just happy to be back into the season. I do hope that you will return sometime in the future.

Reviewed 22 March 2011

We also were there for the Rod weekend but our experience was somewhat different.
It does seem to be a theme here some people give really great reviews others are somewhat more circumspect.

On the plus side we found the staff to be excellent, service is of a high standard. It would seem that this is a priority for Crerar and all credit to them for that.

The food was fine for what we played. Think decent pub carvery and you wont be to far away.
Much of it is pre prepared. At breakfast we found the orange juice to be very watery and the scrambled egg and salmon could have done with a bit more salmon.

We also enjoyed the Rod Stewart Tribute so full marks for that.

Our twin room was fine albeit a bit on the small side. The en-suite though left a lot to be desired. There was black mould on the tiles in the shower area. This does seem to be the experience of a lot of other people here. Our sink was also cracked in two places so not very appealing.
Our real problem was being woken up at first light by the pigeons which seem to be resident on the roof. It could be that our room was worse in this regard as it had a flat roof whereas some of the other rooms may have benefited from a loft space to dull the noise. I'm not really sure what the management could be expected to do about this. We suggested Pie. I sleep fairly heavily and am not hypersensitive to the slightest noise.

There is great potential here and from some of the other reviews here it would seem that its all down to the room you get. If I knew the room was better and more importantly quieter I wouldn't hesitate to go back.
If you do get the right room, then you will find yourself in a decent value for money hotel in a great location.
Lets hope Crerar spend the money here if you want to see what they are capable of try the Golf view.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2011

Many thanks for your constructive points regards your recent stay with us. We have over the years tried to eradicate the pigeon problem with netting and special devices on guttering and pipes however they are persist creatures. On saying this we continually are addressing this area. I will certainly investigate the mentioned bathroom and will put right. We do have a rolling programme in place to address this sort of area and are always trying to improve what facilities we have. It would be very useful if you could contact me direct and let me know which room you actually stayed in however we will get our housekeeping department to report back any rooms that are in this situation.
Again my thanks for taking thetime to review your recent visit
Manager

Reviewed 20 March 2011

Thanks to all the very hard working staff at the craiglynne for making this an enjoyable & relaxing weekend.

Something a liitle different was what we got when the rod stewart tribute act took to the stage on saturday night, whether a fan of the man or not, it was a night not to be missed!

The hotel itself, lovely & warm on arrival. Checked in very efficiently by welcoming receptionist who took time to answer any questions. Room on 2nd floor was clean & well presented, fairly large bathroom by hotel standards, clean & functional.

Service in the restaurant was very good without being overbearing & food was of reasonable quality, having stayed at other crerar hotels i have found bar prices can be a little expensive, not here. Pretty much what i would expect to pay if i had a night out at home.

No shortage of hotels in this area but id be quite happy to return here.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to review your visit to the Craiglynne and your kind comments. Tribute nights can be a hit or miss however i am glad to say that this one went down very well with our guests and we will be repeating sometime in the future. Having just recently opened after a long winter it is certainly encouraging to receive comments such as yours and i will certainly pass these onto the staff concerned. Again my thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay.
Manager