All reviewscrerar hotelsdinner bed and breakfastlovely hotelold buildinga la carte menureception areaset menunight breakexcellent value for moneyhotel staffdb bshort breakboth nightsrelaxing staycourse mealreturn visitbarman
Reviewed 1 May 2011

On arrival hotel looked quite impressive. Booked in for one night D,B&B however not able to get into our room until 3 p.m. and the bar didnt open until 5 p.m. Went to the Garth Hotel in the village. One small glass of wine, a pint of lager, 2 packets of peanuts and 1 packet of crisps cost £9.50! Walked back to Craiglynne and booked in. The room was nothing special although I think we had one of the better rooms with a nice bay window and lovely view. Went down for dinner and it just got worse. The food was terrible. Pate tasteless, pork dry and chewy with a gravy that could have been made from granules, an apple sauce which could have been from a jar, mashed potatoes which reminded me of my school days, one new potato each and a tastless portion of vegetables, followed by a very stodgy apple and rhubard crumble. Breakfast not much better. Full scottish breakfast similar standard to dinner the night before. Watered down orange juice. Glad we were only staying one night. Will definitely not be back,

1  Thank AnneScot
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit to the hotel. You will pobably have noted that we have had three similar reviews to yours regards the food. When we receive such reviews we do scrutinize what we are serving and i have to confess after our first review a few days ago i have watched carefully and discussed with the chef the food that we produce and put out to our guests. I am cetainly not seeing what you have described. We recieve many guest's comments on the hotel comment card with favourable views on the food we serve however on these three occassions this certainly would not give that impression.
All comments from guests are received with zest and we do investigate areas where our customers have been less than complimentary.
I am sorry that you felt your need to comment in such a way on tripadvisor as said in previous responses i would much prefer to discuss these points on a one to one basis with our guests. Regards

Reviewed 30 April 2011

HORRIBLE!

This place gets ONE star because of the lovely girl on reception.

As for the food, you'll wish you're in a Turkish prison. It's horrible... cast your mind back to Britain in the era of the nightmarish guest house landlady... that's the kind of bad we're talking.

Haven't got the picture yet? Imagine what you would serve in a retirement home for war criminals. Then charge 1.5 times London prices.

The sausages were more toast than sausage, the steaks were more gristle than cow... If "punch in the face" were on the menu I would have ordered that and been happier with my choice.

Honestly, the look on our waiter's face when he took the plates away and asked "did you enjoy that?" He knew the answer. He knew it and was ashamed.

The hotel website lies about almost everything. There ISN'T free wifi throughout, you can only get it if you sit in the reception area that looks like the estate sale for a dozen vicars' wives.

And the dining room that people allegedly "book for weddings"? Ghosts wouldn't haunt it.

This is my first EVER bad review of anything but I have travelled the world and -all evidence to the contrary- I'm pretty low maintenance. It would take a LOT for me to write a scathing review.

The Craiglynne Hotel is a lot.

DO. NOT. STAY. HERE.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2011

I receievd your comments today regards your recent stay and am not going to make excuses suffice to say that i was obviously deeply concerned in the content. All the points you highlighted will be investigated however we were extremely busy on the night concerned {i am not making excuses) and recieved many comment cards to the contrary to your comments. I wish you had mentioned the points verbally before you left as you were so disappointed.
My apologises for your experience.

Reviewed 29 April 2011

Grantown on Spey is a pretty little village struggling to survive but is not being helped by the fact that most of the hotels offer no trade other than coffee between the hours of 2pm and 5pm. I stayed at the Craiglynne Hotel two days ago and was disappointed that the hotel was really tired in both its decor and ambience. My double room had a bed that was positioned against the right hand side wall which as a sleeper of the right side made it extremely difficult to get in and out of the bed. The shower and toilet were off the room accessed by a sliding door and the wash basin was situated in the bedroom. The shower resembelled a caravan shower cubicle with the shower head being so low that anyone over 5ft 3in would touch it with their head.
The water was luke warm in the hot tap at the sink even though there was a notice telling you to be cautious as the water wasExtrermely HOT!
Dinner was a choice from a limited menu and the al a carte option only offered three steaks as an alternative main course choice.
Breakfast was okay as hotel breakfasts go but I was rather surprised that I was served half a slice of black pudding and half a slice of haggis, I don't know if that was normal practice or the kitchen was merely running short of the products that morning.
It seems such a shame that Crerar have allowed this hotel to fall behind standard as it could be such an asset to a village that is struggling. I have stayed in other Crerar Hotels in Scotland and have enjoyed the experience but was dissapointed in this instance.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for the time you have taken to respond to your recent visit with us. Something i have never understood even after 30+ years is if you have a number of issues regards your stay at a hotel that people should take 5 minutes out of their time to speak to the management rather than have a response through the internet. I am sure we could have rectified a number of points that you have highlighted. On saying all of this i am extremely sorry that your stay with us was below standard and we will investigate all points highlighted.
Again my thanks for responding.

Reviewed 29 April 2011

We had dinner here, as it was a long day. I haven't had a meal as bad as this in a very long while, which is inexcusable in itself, but at the prices they charge is extortionate. For a similar price in London, I'd expect a very good meal, not the horrific plate set in front of me here.

For breakfast, we were expecting similarly low quality of food. These expectations turned out to be absurdly high. Crerar's literature gushes that "It’s a matter of local pride that our chef hand-picks high quality ingredients sourced close-by whenever possible
(transforming them into mouth-watering menus), ".... What was a tomato had been sucked of all it's moisture and left to wither before arriving on my plate. The sausage may not have legally been allowed to be called one, and I would be shocked if it contained above 10% meat, had the taste and consistency of wet sawdust.

There is a massive difference between how this hotel describes itself on its literature and the experience given. Their 'extensive a la carte menu' consisted solely of three options of steak, 'intimacy defines your dining experience' turned out to be a meal in a cavernous room decorated with all the charm of a 1930's school hall. A double room turned out to be a room with two twin beds pushed together.

I feel swindled having stayed at this hotel and would recommend nobody to stay there.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
1  Thank jameslondonw4
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2011

Many thanks for your comments on your recent stay with us and i am really disappointed that you did not take the time to speak to myself considering the level of dis-satisfaction that you experienced during your short stay.
We are always striving to improve our service and facilities to our guests and due to your high dis-satisfaction i would really have spoken to rather than answer through tripadvisor.
I will certainly investigate all the points you have highlighted and discuss with the relivant staff concerned.
I am really sorry that your experince was so tainted during your stay and my apoligises for this.
Bob Walker

Reviewed 6 April 2011

Although the main season hadn't begun, the hotel staff were definitely ready to warmly welcome guests.Jan, food and beverage manager, made sure that everyone was well taken care of in the dining room and bar. Food was great with a selection to suit every taste.Rooms and beds were clean and comfortable and a great lounge to socialise in after a day of touring.The occasional evening entertainment was most enjoyable and suitable for all ages.
We would love to return to this charming highland hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to your recent visit and i am delighted everything was to your liking. Jan is definitely an asset to the hotel and we receive many good comments on both him and the rest of the staff. It has been a long winter and we are just happy to be back into the season. I do hope that you will return sometime in the future.
Bob Walker