“GREAT LOCATION, GREAT VALUE, BUT SEVERAL DISAPPOINTING NIGGLES”

The Craiglynne Hotel
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was our first stay at the Craiglynne Hotel in Grantown-on-Spey though we have passed the hotel many, many times and always noted we were keen to stay there in the wonderful area it is situated in.

Circumstances meant it was a truly last-minute booking – the night before we went for a two night stay. I booked through easy-breaks, a company we very happily use regularly for weekends away. On this occasion I telephoned rather than making an online booking, as after reading some reviews about poky rooms at the back of the Craiglynne with no views at all, I wanted to ensure we had a front facing room, if possible. That was possible with the supplement of £10 per night, and as the deal was a great value one, I was happy to add the £20 when booking.

We arrived at Craiglynne around 6pm, and immediately noted how parked up the hotel was – nose to tail vehicles right along both side of the driveway in front, but we did manage to find the last space at the rear of the hotel, by the kitchen.

Our welcome at reception was friendly and we were checked in and heading to Room 138 very quickly. It was located on the first floor, (there is thankfully a lift), but it is then a very long walk away along endless corridors with various twists and turns, steps and doors, so not everyone would welcome that hike to their room.

Room 138 was certainly at the front of the hotel, but oh how disappointingly tiny the room was, plus the terrible damp smell in the bathroom was most unpleasant....and the view from the bedroom was drastically spoilt by the double glazing being steamed up between the glass. I’m not sure which was most disappointing – the dreadful lack of space, the smell or the very blurred view. The floor boards were desperately creaky too. As some others had mentioned in relation to rooms they’ve stayed in, the window frame was also a terribly poor fit and there was a tremendous draught coming in all around it – maybe okay in April, less so in December or January, I’d guess.

However, having booked late and having been accommodated at the front as requested, we decided to stay put, and not ask for a change of room, but I very seriously objected to the £10 a night for a view we couldn’t see at all well.

When we had arrived we had spotted the car belonging to friends’ and sure enough, unbeknown to us, they were indeed there, and had stayed many times previously. On this occasion they had a super front facing room with large bay window, but they did confirm they’ve been accommodated in other less well-appointed rooms in the past than the one they’d been given on this visit.

We booked our dinner for 8pm, and came down around 7.35pm to have a pre-dinner drink. There was quite a queue at the bar, and only one barman servings so I think it was about 7.55pm before we obtained our drinks, so we had to take them in to dinner with us, as 8pm is the last seating time.

We then promptly spent around 12 MINUTES standing at the lectern to check-in to the restaurant after that - drinking as we waited, and waving to our friends who had already booked to dine at 7pm that night. I cannot stand for long periods and the barman offered me a chair to wait on! Eventually my husband deemed we should just pick a table and sit down, but of course we were moved when a waiter did finally see us. Almost everyone was suffering the same slow restaurant welcome that night, and the service was also rather erratic.

We thought the menu was excellent for the great value cost of the D, B & B rate. The food was all very good – just a pity very large dollops of mashed potatoes seems to be the order of the day with EVERY main course.

The lounge area is very comfortable and along with the bar area seems to accommodate everyone who wants to sit on a while with a drink or a coffee after dinner, as the hotel was quite full, but many had clearly gone to bed in anticipation of an early start the following day.

At breakfast time next morning we once again encountered the lengthy wait to be checked in again – an improvement to just about 9/10 minutes on that occasion. Worth it though perhaps, as the breakfast is wonderful – all the normal choices plus things like Eggs Benedict, Eggs Florentine and Finnan Haddie. Unfortunately my husband’s request to swap black pudding and haggis for a second egg instead failed to be met on the first morning, but was met on the second morning, when he emphasised he wasn’t wanting extra, just to swap two offered items for one! I had the divine Eggs Benedict both days – perfectly done.

We had less trouble initially at the bar on the second evening, but that was short-lived as an attempt to obtain a second drink took two visits to the bar as a very lengthy queue formed, but eventually it had to be joined. As the only barman appears to double as the restaurant’s wine waiter, what a difference a second pair of hands would undoubtedly make from 7pm-9pm. It seems that like many other establishments, the Craiglynne is operating with minimum staff.

After no wait at all at the lectern to be seated for dinner the second night, it was spoiled by the four of us not managing to order wine until we had eaten our starters and our main courses had arrived. We then ordered a red wine and the barman brought us a white wine, so we were half way through our mains before the correct wine came. Once again we all enjoyed our meals, but for the salmon main course not being terribly hot and the inevitable mash accompanying all main courses. Our after dinner drinks were a challenge too, as the barman he didn’t seem at all familiar with the whiskies – almost pouring Laphroaig when I asked for Lagavulin.

The second morning we had only a slight wait as there was a bit of confusion when we came down for breakfast because our two rooms had chosen to share a table for 4, and once again all four of us had fantastic breakfasts. The service was better, as it had slightly been the night before. Either more staff or fewer guests, or both.

All in all I would recommend the Craiglynne, and would certainly consider staying there again, primarily as there are some extremely good value deals around for the hotel, and it is positioned in a super area of the Scotland. I have indeed catalogued the numerous niggles we had, but I really would hope that if we returned there again, there might well be some improvements on these disappointing issues we encountered this time around.

Room Tip: If you request a room at the front of the hotel you may potentially get a very tiny room with a wind...
1  Thank Larsonsmummy
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, we are appreciative of the time our guests take to leave their reviews, for it is vital to our business to take the feedback and work on it to improve our standards and service.

Firstly let me apologise you were not happy with your choice of room, I have investigated the issues raised in your review. As you have confirmed you did book the night before you arrived with us and we tried our very best allocate you a room to meet your requests, on looking back at your booking form you had requested a front facing twin bedded room and you had also requested that your room had a bath and shower, room 138 is the only room we had available to meet these requests.

We have checked the room since your departure and we were unable to find a smell of dampness, so I am unsure of what the smell was you were referring to, I have also had our maintenance team check the window in the room which does needs repairing, please accept my apologies.

In regards to your comments about our restaurant/bar service I have spoken with both departments to establish the reason in why you had to wait. We have been fairly busy in the hotel recently with large parties staying with us, we do try our utmost to have everyone served and seated as quickly as possible, as you can appreciate during busy service this can take a little extra time. I am only disappointed that you never discussed these issues at the time with any of our staff in the hotel, we were completely unaware that any of our guests left unhappy, as we have been receiving and still are, fantastic comment cards at the reception desk and also guests mentioning on check out that the staff and general service are great. I must apologise that the service you received wasn’t 100% I have personally spoken about these issues with the staff to establish what went wrong, and I have implemented the correct training procedures where needed.

I have passed your kind comments on to the breakfast chef and he was delighted you thoroughly enjoyed your breakfasts.

Once again please accept my sincerest apologies that your stay was not as good as it could have been, and I hope we can welcome you back to the Craiglynne Hotel in the not too distant future, when booking another break, please feel free to contact us and I will be happy to arrange a front facing bedroom free of charge for you.

Many thanks

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We are just back from a 4 night stay at the Craiglynne hotel.

I must say we had a absolute blast at this hotel! the staff are really great and made our stay very stress free and relaxing, especially the reception team. They girls deserve a big mention, especially Jennifer and Louise, extremely helpful and very patient with tricky guests.

We had a lovely garden view room that we paid an extra £10 a night for and it is defo worth it :)

Our evening meals were spot on and we thoroughly enjoyed all courses on offer, especially the cheesecake and the sticky toffee pudding, the chef deserves a star alone just for those puddings!

I enjoyed breakfast, the a la carte options were fab..my favourite dish had to be the scrambled eggs!

Lounge area spacious and comfortable, music was nice and relaxing and also in the bar.

Overall a great hotel to stay at and the staff are fantastic!! I will be recommending this hotel to friends and family, don't take any notice of the negative reviews as I can just imagine what those people are like lol...

Many thanks to everyone at the hotel, from James and Mary MacDonald

Room Tip: Pay the extra £10 for garden view..worth it
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We were delighted to read you enjoyed your short stay with us and I have passed your kind comments on to the team. We really do look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We have just returned from a weekend break at craiglynne, the staff were very attentive from the time we arrived until our departure. Our room was small but nice, the food also was lovely, great hotel with character. Good value and we will return. Don't listen to all the negative reviews try for yourself.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are extremely grateful for the time our guests take to leave their feedback.

We were extremely pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us, and we have passed your kind comments on to the staff here at the hotel.

Once again many thanks and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our 2 night break at this hotel. We find all crerar hotels are very good value. Staff were very attentive and friendly. Rooms are a bit dated but clean. Food was good. dog friendly hotel which was good for us. Would return again!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank daisyscotland12

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are appreciative of the time our guests take to leave their feedback.

We were extremely pleased to read you enjoyed your break with us, and I have passed on your kind comments to the staff here at the hotel.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

★★I would just like to say what a fantastic night out we had at the craiglynne hotel.
Possibly one of the best nights out we have had in a long time.The entertainment was absolutely fabulous we had a Freddie Mercury/Queen tribute ..he was very entertaining and all the guest seem to be having a great time...I must say this hotel is a great get away the staff work very had to keep this hotel up to standard which it definitely shows... I would highly recommend this hotel to you all★★☺?❤❗⭐❇!?☺★★★★★

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Sandra M

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

All of us here at the hotel were delighted to read you enjoyed your entertainment break with us and please do keep in touch for further entertainment breaks up and coming in the near future, once again many thanks and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Booked a double bedroom for my partner and I over the easter weekend only to find out we were getting a twin room because they had double booked. They never told me this at check in so i had payed before i got the key to the room so they're was no going back. The tv did not work either. We then had to change rooms the following day so had to pack our belongings in the morning and await for a room to become available. We got room 111 which was a dark box like room. You could clearly hear every person walking past down the corridor outside the room. Every floorboard had a kreek on it. Also we had a window view of dead pigeons. Later at night when we got to the double room. There was no toilet paper so had to go back down to reception to get some. The breakfast included was minimal. Also had to wait 45 minutes for it. They told me they would sort out a refund for the inconvenience. Giving that I booked a double room costing £106 only to be giving a a twin room. They would only refund me £30. Absolute joke. Wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly allow me to apologise that the room you had booked was not available, this was a complete administration error on our part and we noticed this the day of your arrival, as you had arrived after 9.00pm our night porter was on call to check you in however he was unaware of the room change. As we had no doubles available for your first evening we had placed you into a front facing twin bedded room, which guests normally pay a £10 front facing supplement per night, we had also offered you and your partner complementary drinks at the bar for the inconvenience, and explained that we had a double available the next day however it hasn’t got the best of views and you could have the choice of both rooms.

As I was not available in the hotel that day, the receptionist on duty that morning informed me that she had agreed to refund you £30.00 and she was unable to authorize any more than that, she did explain that as I was unavailable at the time, she suggested that you write a short email or letter to me direct and I could have discussed the issues raised further with yourself, which you agreed to do. However we were completely unaware of any issues with the television in your room or the wait at breakfast service.

Once again please accept my sincerest apologies that your stay was not as good as it could have been, and I am extremely disappointed that you deemed it necessary to post the review on Trip Advisor about the issues raised.

Many thanks

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed at the Craiglynne in March 2014 and loved it! The place is like something out of the history or literature books. The staff was wonderful and made my stay very pleasant! The room was clean and the atmosphere peaceful and pastoral. You'll probably not find anything like this in the USA!!

Room Tip: Ask for room on first floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read your comments about our hotel and I am extremely pleased you enjoyed your stay with us!

Once again many thanks and we hope we can welcome you back to Scotland soon.

Gemah

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
Nethybridge Hotel
Newton Muthu Hotel
Newton Muthu Hotel
#3 of 9 in Nairn
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel

Been to The Craiglynne Hotel? Share your experiences!