“A Fantastic Weekend”

Garth Hotel & Restaurant
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed at the Garth Hotel and had my breakfast here. All other meals were at the Grant Arms where I was enjoying the SRGC Discussion Weekend.

The room was excellent with all expected facilities and that welcome cup of coffee/tea.

The staff were very friendly with constant smiles.

Breakfast was excellent and I enjoyed the best scrambled eggs I have ever had - the secret was the added cream!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Having stayed here before and eaten here several times I was a bit dubious, having seen the poor reviews in September. However it was a successful stay with very helpful & friendly staff, good food & service and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My Mom and I found ourselves in Grantown on Spey without a reservation and with the day closing in on us. We had been referred to The Garth Hotel for dinner, and were happy to find that they also had a room for us. Great experience. The staff was wonderful, the little bar very accommodating and cheery. We shared a double room and had plenty of space for our oversized bags. The en suite bathroom was more than sufficient for us. The furniture all looked brand new. Nothing fancy but stylish and clean. We had a wonderful dinner in the restaurant, which had beautiful views of their well-kept garden/patio. The chef recommended the salmon, which was a great choice. The breakfast was wonderful and plentiful!! We would highly recommend the Garth Hotel as a destination for dinner or to stay.

Room Tip: Not sure how many rooms there are, but I think they were all nearly booked. The only downside is th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Dined at this restaurant a year ago, and enjoyed the meal so much my wife and I booked in advance to make sure we got a table. We arrived and were seated straight away. While we were deciding on a pre dinner drink we were asked if we were ready to order our meal. We declined and ordered our drinks which never arrived. We were again asked if we were ready to order our meal and informed the waitress we were still waiting on drinks, ten minutes had easily passed. I then asked a passing waitress to check up on our drinks and she sent the drinks waiter over to say they wouldn't be long. He arrived without the two drinks.The staff appeared flustered about being so busy despite several empty tables. Our drinks arrived and we ordered our meals and our starters arrived straight away. I had salad which was extremely cold and obviously pre made and lettice not the freshest. My wife had three of the smallest scallops I've ever seen and could easily have been on the end of one fork. The main meals arrived straight after the starters and we hadn't ordered wine. We felt we were being rushed. My wife had fish which was served skin side up and topped with capers and tiny frozen shrimps which looked dreadful. She said the fish tasted fine but the addition of half a jar of capers and the frozen shrimps did nothing for the appearance. I had lamb chops which were tender but very fatty and looked like they had been blanched as opposed to grilled. We never left a tip.........!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SydneyBaxter
Reviewed 2 September 2013

6 of us were dining in the restaurant, we were shown to a table just outside the kitchen. I asked for another, but was told the place was full. We were not offered any drinks while we looked at the menu. The Head Waiter/ Manager was casually dressed, no tie and no jacket! When taking our menu choices, the waitress did not mention the wine list or drinks required. As my fish arrived, I mentioned that it still had its head and tail on and the comment was made " Its not filleted" I asked for a dish for the bones and she returned with a saucer with a doily on it. The vegetables for the tables were very under-cooked and the 3 potatoes that I had on my plate were solid, the lettuce was very soggy. When I mentioned the potatoes, the waitress made no comment . The Coffee was sent back because it was cold.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sela-48
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Have just returned from a three night break at this hotel which was excellent. The accommodation, quality of food in the restaurant and service are in my opinion hard to beat. The room was spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. We ordered a packed lunch for one of the days we were there which at £6.50 was excellent value for both quality and value. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Without doubt we will be returning to the Garth and will recommend it to our friends and family.

We are really surprised this hotel only gets 3 stars from the Scottish Tourist Board.

An excellent base to tour the Speyside area and the staff are helpful when it comes to planning days out with recommedations on where to go and what to seewhich only comes with local knowledge.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This is one of the places to return to year after year, where the standards are always high, the staff friendly and efficient, and the food delicious. It's where the locals go to eat too, which is always a good sign!
Just one problem - the beds are very firm indeed, so be warned.
WiFi downstairs in the public rooms only, which might be a problem for some.
The best value, and best atmosphere, in town.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
Grant Arms Hotel
#8 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
The Boat Hotel
The Boat Hotel
#1 of 1 in Boat of Garten

Been to Garth Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!