“Very comfortable, and dog friendly”

Garth Hotel & Restaurant
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here a few weeks ago, because we were looking for a hotel in the Cairngorms that took dogs. We were pleasantly surprised with the Garth. It looks a bit down-at-heel from the outside, but the room was clean and well-appointed. The bed was comfy (although we had a super king bed made out of two beds pushed together, and had to remind them to put a topper on it). They put us in a room near the back exit to the car park, which was really helpful for taking the dog out at night. The TV was tiny, and only had 5 channels, and the bathroom was a little dated, but in general, the hotel was warm, comfortable and very accommodating. The bar downstairs was great, and we could sit down there in the evening with the dog and taste all sorts of whiskies.

Room Tip: Dog owners may want to request room 18, with easy access to the grass outside.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel is charming inside (the exterior does need a touch up, if I have to be critical). The rooms are comfortable and the breakfast great. The restaurant and bar staff are brilliant. My only irritation was that there is no internet service in the bedroom, which meant that I was sitting in on the staircase (as reception, which was the only place to get connection and bar area were closed and lights off) logging onto the internet to complete my work, while my husband sat upstairs in our room. In the morning I had to get up early and head down stairs in order to get internet access vs having tea and staying in our room.

Room Tip: Our room faced away from the road, which is what I recommend one asks for when booking the accommoda...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Have stayed here a number of times and always had a warm welcome and good stay. Rooms are good and very clean. Staff are excellent and very helpful and friendly. Let me take the dog and had a shed to store bikes. Food was excellent. Will return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a great visit to the Garth Hotel while we were in Scotland for our Speyside Whisky Tour. The staff is very friendly and the restaurant and bar are great. The bed was a little small but the experience was well worth the trip. The whisky selection is great as well! If we are in the area again, we will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Had a great jral reasonably priced for the quality, selection of beer and great selection of whiskey, with a barman who was happy to assist a novice in selecting. Overall a great evening,would definitely return if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here one night during my touring of the Speyside area. Overall, it was an enjoyable stop. They have an outstanding staff! The reason for four (4) stars is that the room was 3-1/2 star, but the bar and restaurant were solid 5 star.

I had a few whiskies in the bar before dinner. The bar is small and cozy and patronized by the hotel guests and local people alike. The bartender was friendly, and extremely helpful in choosing which single malt whiskies to try.

I ate dinner in the dining room. The words elegant and comfortable come to mind. I had the trio of local Lamb Chops (for 17 GBP) that were the best I've ever tasted. The vegetables were excellent too. I'm sorry that I didn't have dessert because the other diners were obviously enjoying them. Again, outstanding service by the wait staff.

A buffet breakfast was included in the room rate. Good selection and quality.

In terms of my room, it is hard to be as enthusiastic as I was about the food and drink. My room was of a standard size, with an en-suite bathroom. Although the room and bed were comfortable, I have to give it 3-1/2 stars due to the age of the furniture, television, etc. Also, as my room was just one level up from the main floor, I could hear the laughter coming from the bar when I was going to sleep at 10:30 pm. Although the toilet had a habit of whistling for 5-10 minutes after flushing, the bath tub was deep and wonderful. (I guess that's some the charm and personality of a historic property.)

Overall, the staff and the bar and the restaurant makes this a great place.

Room Tip: Two floors up unless you like to eat and drink until late.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 days recently and loved the place. Everyone was so nice, especially our waitress at breakfast. It was nice to stay in a countryside hotel after spending most of our vacation in city hotels. We loved the charm. Wish the beds were bigger (double/full sized only) but we were comfortable. We ate dinner there one night and it was delicious and not too pricey!

Room Tip: There are no elevators so it may be difficult for anyone with a disability or anyone with heavy lugg...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
Grant Arms Hotel
5 mi away
Nethybridge Hotel
Nethybridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nethy Bridge

Been to Garth Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!