This was the first time in the Scottish highlands for my husband and me so we didn't really know what to expect but Muckrach was wonderful! We travelled by car and for about an hour before we got there we saw beautiful countryside and scenery non-stop, wonderful fields and mountains (and the weather was nice which helped!) The first thing you notice at the hotel is a large field with two highland cows, which the owners told us were called Angus and Archie and have been at the hotel for many years. The hotel is up a hill from a quite road so very peaceful and a really lovely building. Some of the rooms (reception, bar & breakfast room) are quite traditional with a large staircase, tartan carpets, lovely fireplace etc. And some rooms like the restaurant and the room we were staying in were very modern and stylish.
Our room was very nice, the view was unbelievable and the bed comfy. A nice little bathroom too. Dinner was incredible both nights, they serve local meat and it's really special. Also they're not tiny servings like you get in some restuarants but the food was really great. Breakfast was very nice too, they cook a full english/scottish and fish etc. and also have some cold foods laid out.
When we were booking we thought it may be a bit expensive but we would treat ourselves, but really it's good value for money because there's so much to do at the hotel and nearby and the dinner was one of the best we've had in a long time. So I think it's worth the money. The staff were great as well and we had a chat with the owners in the bar who were really friendly. Really nice stay overall, no real issues whatsoever and we will be going again at New Years!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Muckrach Country House Hotel is under new management & re-opened in May 2015, as a 4 star 11 bedroom Victorian Shooting Lodge. Muckrach Country House Hotel was bought in January 2014 and has been fully renovated over a 15 month period. Muckrach Country House Hotel sits in the heart of the Spey Valley, set in 10 acres surrounded by pastureland and mountains. No activity is far away; whether it be winter sports, field sports, fishing, walking, golf, mountain biking or adrenalin-led fun, they are all accessible within half an hour or less. All bedrooms have a contemporary porcelain-tiled ensuite. 1 Bedroom has an inter-connecting family room option, although z beds are available to add to most rooms. All bedrooms have underfloor heating, free WIFI, entertainment system, tea/coffee making facilities and Hypnos beds. The Coffee Shop / Restaurant and Bar are open to non-residents from breakfast through to supper. Our chefs bring the best of Scottish produce together in their menus. Choose to take Afternoon Tea in the Drawing Room, a wee dram in the Bar or organise a private dining party for up to 16 in The Grant Room. A Highland welcome awaits you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda, Evoline ltd, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and HotelQuickly so you can book your Muckrach Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Muckrach Hotel Grantown On Spey
- Muckrach Country House Hotel Grantown-On-Spey, Scotland