“Friendly staff a welcome stay”

Muckrach Country House Hotel
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed for two nights.
Breakfasts were good - one day was cooked to order which was a bonus - plenty to eat and all good quality. The second day was a buffet which was not as good as some was cold.
We did not dine as the prices were higher than elsewhere nearby, we used the riverside restaurant dulnain bridge which was very nice and would recommend, it is less than half a mile walk from the hotel.
We also ate in Aviemore where there is a greater choice.
The bar is very nice and the service was good, overall the staff are very good.
The room we had was small and a lot of furniture in it - but was in keeping with the house.
The bathroom does need some attention - which I think is a repetition from previous reviews - if you are staying a couple of nights this is fine but I think a bit of renovation is required.
I think for what you pay for the rooms it is average, I would stay again if I see that some upkeep has been made.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ilovehippopotamus

Reviewed 15 July 2013

A major disappointment after visiting Muckrach and using excellent dining room many years ago as a family on multiple visits to Grantown on Spey. Speyside itself did not disappoint, still beautiful with Grantown the perfect Highland town.
Hotel location, privacy, solitude still wonderful. Room and accommodation OK although shower plumbing not sealed through tile, tiny TV and overall needed upgrading, bar OK, several armchairs covered in Tartan Rugs, to hide splits in the uphostery.
Biggest disappointment, dinner on first night, overcooked pork, with butter/herb which had melted so now veggies etc saturated with butter, ridiculous high price even with cheap wine. Needless to say we ate elsewhere the following evening (Garth Hotel, very good)
Breakfast Good. Staff, particularly an Australian lady very good and welcoming.
Never saw the owners although we spent time in Bar area, and Dining.
A bit disappointing having remembered the Muckrach as a small but wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Pets are welcomed, so ask for a room some distance from a barking dog! We had Room 6, which had a ni...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We stayed for two nights at the beginning of July as a birthday surprise for my partner. The hotel is very dated and seems to be falling apart in most places! We stayed in a superior room which was very spacious but does need some TLC - earth wires dangling in the bathroom and plug sockets hanging off the walls to name a few. The carpet was stained and had cigarette burns in, and there was no bath mat to use which meant you could easily slip when showering. The staff were very friendly although it was impossible to find someone if you needed help, as they were never at the main reception and you could only find a member of staff if you happened to bump into them. Based on our stay I would say this hotel should be classed as a 2*, not a 4*, however if they spent some dosh getting the place fixed up - re plaster and rewire, new carpets and furniture (especially new beds!!) and fix the squeaky floor boards, if all that were done then I'd love to stay there again and would be happy to pay the prices that they are currently charging. But as it stands I think it is extremely overpriced and slightly understaffed.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Nat C
Reviewed 26 June 2013

When I booked online, acknowledging that one had read their Terms and Conditions was not an essential part of the booking process - although I see it is now. I booked and they charged my card for one night's stay. Less than an hour after making the booking I realised I had made a mistake with dates, so sent an email to cancel. I heard nothing, then they sent me an email claiming the booking had been cancelled the day AFTER we were due to stay. Incredibly, they steadfastly refuse to make a refund of the £115 I had paid. Integrity? I think not! Complaints to Trading Standards and the Scottish Tourist Board's Quality Assurance team are in progress.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pjdb
diabolo666, Owner at Muckrach Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Our cancellation terms and conditions are clearly indicated on our website and in every email communication we send. Whilst we are able to waive these at our discretion, we will only do so if there are genuine and uninsurable reasons for a cancellation within the specified terms. Changing your mind after booking, or shouting loudly for a refund, really do not qualify. Train operators, airlines, hotels, theatres, sporting events, cinemas, all operate the same policy, but without the flexibility to even consider a refund. Please understand that when you book a finite place somewhere you deny that place to anyone else. It is yours and nobody else can book it. That is what you pay for with an advance booking. If you don't like it, then turn up on the day.

Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights. We were placed in the Castle Suite which consisted of two rooms on the 2nd floor facing the rear of the property. One room was very large with a king-sized bed, small couch, wardrobe writing table and bureau. The had placed a small cot in the room at our request and there was still plenty of space.

The second room consisted of two twin beds, a wardrobe and a bureau. Both rooms have wonderful views of Muckrach castle on the adjoining property.

Our stay was 'uneventful' everything was as expected and described. The staff was helpful but not hovering and breakfast was delicious. We very much appreciated Andy letting us use the breakfast room one evening for our own 'picinc' since the restaurant was closed.

Sitting on the front deck in the evening was very pleasant and relaxing. It is very peaceful and beautiful. If you have the time, walk up to the castle for the views.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Nomadbackbacker
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Having stayed here a couple of times over the years, and had a good experience both times, I thought I would go back.
We were the only diners on a Tuesday night. We had a good well cooked meal in the conservatory.
All in all we enjoyed our night, it seemed just a shame that there was no one else around. I would say that I thought the bill was expensive for what we had, maybe this price level is what puts people off. As everyone else comments, it's in a great location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WilliamRose2000
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We spent two nights here last week using the Groupon deal, which brought the price down to about £35 per person, per night. This included two breakfasts and a three course meal with whiskey tasting. I can't really comment on the full price rates but using this deal I can't stress enough how good that value actually is...

Room was small but perfectly formed, clean, nicely decorated (ie. not Highland twee or attempting to be glamorous with stupid lights or big abstract block prints on the wall. just a nice room really); this was the smallest twin room available and I'd suggest if you plan on spending more time in your room than just for sleep, or you're really tall, probably worth upgrading to a bigger room. No complaints though.

Staff were all really friendly and let us stash our bags for the morning when we arrived about 5 hours ahead of the time we were supposed to check in at.

Evening meal - this was great. Starters were a selection of salmon smoked in different ways, I had haggis and black pudding. Salmon was great; the haggis and black pudding rich and delicious - constructive criticism would be to add something to contrast with the richness a bit? Maybe like a bit of radish or watercress? Really good though.

Main course - she had the lamb. This was absolutely superb, really flavoursome, tender, great vegetables on the side. I had the steak - to be honest this was the only thing that makes this a four star rather than five; I asked for the rare side of medium rare - the thing was tasty enough but pretty much grey all the way through, not great quality meat really. Didn't have the heart to complain as we were the only people eating and the deal was so good, but if the manager is reading I'd say get the steak off the menu and cook more like the lamb. Desserts were spot on, really tasty, plus there was whisky tasting which was fun - 3 small measures to try.

Breakfast - this was awesome. Had full breakfast one day which was classy, well sourced meat, everything cooked right, second day was smoked haddock and two poached eggs which was honestly one of the best things I've had to eat before 10am in my entire life. Really, really good. Plus teas, coffee, toast, cereal, fruit, muesli, juice, jam etc etc. As much as you want. Just the thing for setting you up for a day in the Cairngorms.

I would recommend driving to this hotel if you can; we got there easily by train and bus from London, but in terms of what you do once you get there a car is handy as there aren't a lot of walks immediately available from the hotel itself (we ended up going through the forestry commission bit to a radio mast one day, which was a bit weird, and then another day we tried to walk to grantown on spey and got stuck in a boggy field and had to climb over loads of barbed wire, that took about 2 hours). Bikes would be fine too, it's just walking that's tricky.

In summary, exceptional value, clearly a good chef working (except as mentioned earlier re: steaks but maybe I was just unlucky), beautiful spot, well located for those with suitable transport, clean, good staff, recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nethy Bridge
Culloden House
Culloden House
#1 of 36 in Inverness

Been to Muckrach Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!