We went because we got a groupon voucher for this hotel, it was 2 nights stay and whisky sampling. I'm not sure if it is groupon's fault or theirs, but i think they did not explain very well what you got with this voucher. We thought whisky sampling meant that we got to sample a few different types of whisky. We got to randomly pick a whisky and then had to buy the rest if we wanted to try more. SO it was not a sampling, it was just get a free whisky.
The hotel was very quiet when we arrived, there was one other couple at dinner and no background music so it was very awkward because you didn't want to talk to loud and there wasn't a great atmosphere. But on a positive note the restaurant looked lovely, it was in a conservatory room and it was very nice to sit in, i just think they should have had some music.
The food was LOVELY! there was not a big menu but i think it is because we were part of this groupon deal. i had a lamb casserole and it was amazing! Although it was one guy serving the food and then going and serving the bar so you could go quiet a while without seeing anyone to serve you. I was gasping for a drink of water! They obviously didn't have a lot staff on because it was quiet when we first arrived.
The bar is in a nice lounge room, very vintage and homey. We sat beside the roaring fire with our drinks and read some of the books that were around the room. Quite relaxing the first night but the second night it was busier so it was not as relaxing but still nice. They also have a pile of DVDs that you can take to your room to watch.
Our room when we arrived was cold, obviously this is an oldish building and i panicked that it wouldn't heat up but the heating did eventually come on and it was fine. Our room was tiny, but still nice.
Breakfast, very yummy but again they could do with putting on music so people are not just sitting in a quiet room, awkward!!!
It is in a nice location where you can drive a little and get to all the whisky distilleries. Nice and quiet at night.
Top tip if you stay in this area for something to do;
If you go here, go to glenfiddich distillery as you get a free tour and 3 free whiskys at the end!
Overall it was nice but they can improve on some things.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Muckrach Country House Hotel is under new management & re-opened in May 2015, as a 4 star 11 bedroom Victorian Shooting Lodge. Muckrach Country House Hotel was bought in January 2014 and has been fully renovated over a 15 month period. Muckrach Country House Hotel sits in the heart of the Spey Valley, set in 10 acres surrounded by pastureland and mountains. No activity is far away; whether it be winter sports, field sports, fishing, walking, golf, mountain biking or adrenalin-led fun, they are all accessible within half an hour or less. All bedrooms have a contemporary porcelain-tiled ensuite. 1 Bedroom has an inter-connecting family room option, although z beds are available to add to most rooms. All bedrooms have underfloor heating, free WIFI, entertainment system, tea/coffee making facilities and Hypnos beds. The Coffee Shop / Restaurant and Bar are open to non-residents from breakfast through to supper. Our chefs bring the best of Scottish produce together in their menus. Choose to take Afternoon Tea in the Drawing Room, a wee dram in the Bar or organise a private dining party for up to 16 in The Grant Room. A Highland welcome awaits you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Muckrach Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Muckrach Hotel Grantown On Spey
- Muckrach Country House Hotel Grantown-On-Spey, Scotland