“Excellent value, dog friendly, excellent food for walking the speyside way”
Review of Ben Mhor Hotel

Ben Mhor Hotel
scotland
“Excellent value, dog friendly, excellent food for walking the speyside way”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Enjoyed stay would go back if staying in Grantown, very dog friendly

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank gimpytoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Scotland, UK
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed at the Ben Mhor as part of a large group and were very happy with all aspects of our two night stay. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly, helpful and keen to make us feel welcome.

Given that the hotel has a very narrow main-street frontage, it is unsurprising that most bedrooms are accessed via long, narrow corridors. Having said this, our room was clean, warm, quiet and comfortable.

Meals were included. The food was plain, wholesome and entirely satisfactory.

It is evident that the building has seen better times - but it's also evident that the present owners have made, and continue to make, significant and ongoing improvements. We got the impression that the hotel was both well-run and personally-managed by the owners.

We enjoyed our stay and would certainly consider returning to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ScotGold
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Crisp packets left on window sill, and shower bottle tops left in shower so room obviously not cleaned properly. Smell of fried food permeates building. 'Disco' on Saturday night, extremely loud music until well after midnight ruined my stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
seancraig, Owner at Ben Mhor Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
Dear Mrs Preston,

Your review is damaging to us and focusses entirely on the negative aspects of your stay.

May I apologise for the second time for any inconvenience caused by noise on Saturday night. You will recall my co-owners apology to you at reception on Sunday morning when you broadcasted your feelings so all our guests knew of your discomfort. I do hope the large refund you received helped to soften the blow of a late night, judging by your review not entirely though.

The music on Saturday night at a party went on longer than scheduled we have discussed this internally to address our failings. We did however have no other complaints about noise from other guests.

I would like to respond to each of your comments.

1. Fried Food smells - our Bistro Menu contains a grand total of three fried items, namely, chips, tempura chicken breast strips and our fresh haddock which is fried in our own beer batter. I noticed on checking a copy of your bill that you enjoyed a bar meal each evening the dishes you and your family selected included each of the fried items above.

2. Dirty Room - your room was checked before arrival and the items of rubbish you mention were not there. Your room was serviced during your stay, our housekeeping staff do not tend to lift half eaten crips packets as technically these are guest items. Shampoos and shower gels are replenished daily.

If your room was dirty why did you not raise this on arrival, during your stay or on departure? Why would you stay in a dirty room for 2 nights?

Each week we have a team meeting and we reveiw our guest reviews. We are very surprised by your review. Throughout your stay you used all the facilities of the hotel and you and your family seemed very happy.

You seemed to particularly like the relaxing atmosphere in the lounge bar where your young son was entertained by many of our other guests while you relaxed with your bar supper, laptop and regular drinks, you commented to our bar staff how nice our house Shiraz was.

On looking at the score you have given to individual elements of your stay the average is 2.67 out of 5 neither I or my colleagues can work out how this can be an overall 1 out of 5.

Thanks for choosing to stay with us, we will continue to try and improve on our guest experiences as we have done for the last 5 years.

I hope the refund you received can be used for you to enjoy another night away, and perhaps help another small business by leave a positive comment in the future rather than a one sided damaging one.

Yours sincerely,
Sean Craig
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I recently stayed in this hotel due to having to visit a supplier. The staff were really friendly and guided me patiently to the car park out the back, when I couldn't find it (sign was covered by heavy snow). The food in the restaurant was nice and the lady serving me was really friendly.
The room was warm, clean and comfy and I could hardly hear any noise from outside.

My car was stuck getting up the ramp with the snow as I left and a kind gentleman from next door used his 4x4 to clear the ramp for me. I think in general, this is a sign of how friendly the people are in the area.

Well worth staying here if you are visiting Grantown.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Kilmarnock
Reviewed 4 October 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights here DBB. The service was good without being too intrusive and the food delicious. We had a room at the back so had no problems with noise and slept very well in the lovely large comfy bed, Unfortunately the wifi only worked downstairs for us butt is an old building with thick walls.
The residents lounge was a great addition giving us extra space to have a drink and watch television or have a chat.

Room Tip: Its quite a hike to the rooms at the back but it was no problem for us.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Earlston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I can't praise this restaurant enough for the service and quality of food served in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere.

They couldn't do more for us.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My husband and I stayed in what appeared to be one of the nicer rooms - we had a tub and a balcony! The decor was fresh and simple, and the front desk folks were always friendly. The bed was very comfortable. Wireless internet service was spotty. Grantown-on-Spey is a sleepy town, but it proved to be a nice point from which we could explore Loch Ness, Inverness, and other parts of The Highlands.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms with the balcony
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
The Craiglynne Hotel
#2 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Carrbridge

Been to Ben Mhor Hotel? Share your experiences!