“Fabulous hotel.”

Ben Mhor Hotel
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hotel.”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

This is a small hotel on the main street of Grantown-on-Spey. It is an individual hotel (which if you've read my other reviews, you'll know I prefer) not a typical chain hotel. It has charm throughout and the rooms are well equipped and very well decorated. Staff are excellent as is the food. The town is very quiet at night but the hotel has a great bar attached with a good selection of drinks, including real ale. There is live music in the bar on certain nights. No doubt I'll be back in this hotel again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Visited this restaurant on Saturday 2nd July, after a recommendation for the lady in the fruit and veg shop. The dining area itself was a bit dull,couldnt even see out of the windows, the menu was really quite small, 4 or 5 starters and about 5 main courses, but for £6.50 for 2 courses, there was no complaints. We both had the butternut squash soup which came with nice brown bread and butter and it was very nice. I then had Lemon and Thyme Chicken with butternut squash rissotto, my husband had roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding, My meal was absolutely delicious, although not a huge potion, it was more than enough, and I enjoyed it SO much, My husbands roast beef was lovely, although he felt he could have eaten more, but for the price, agreed it was probably enough. We both felt as if we were full enough to pass on the puddings, which were £4.50 each, although I was sorely tempted. The gentleman that served us was chuffed when I told him I loved my meal, so all in all it turned out to be a great success and would not hesitate in returning here. Will be going back, next time we in Grantown.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Brora, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I couldn't find this Restaurant to review it before - hence the gap between our visit and the review! I would never go back - the chap who was serving drinks in the 'Bistro' was rude and unable to get the order right.even sighing at my request...! I ordered Rib Eye steak, medium rare - usually a great meal when out as it is succulent and simple - this one arrived completely overcooked.... When I finally got the attention of the waitress, she took it back to the kitchen and promised to bring me another cooked properly....by the time she came back my partner had finished his very mediocre burger and (frozen) chips....the steak was once again completely overcooked, tough and grisly.. I sent it back - she asked if i would like another but i think 2 goes at cooking a prime piece of meat and failing is enough! We paid a huge amount for our drinks, 2 starters (which were at best unappetising) and one very middle of the road main. The other diners seemed to be all foreign and I felt sorry for them as their food arrived they seemed to be looking in horror at what was on their plates....checking the menu to see if that was in fact what they had ordered...and from what I saw I was embarrassed to be Scottish - to think of all the fine produce that is available in this part of the country and what was being served up! The waitress told me the meat came from her father who was the local butcher and maybe it was ok before the 'chef' got his hands on it...........however, nothing would convince me to go back to the 'Bistro 55'...and if it was my business I would have sacked the chef for wasting 2 Rib Eye steaks...! The name 'Bistro' implies good quality food prepared simply with flair - local produce prepared in exciting and innovative ways....... Not here it doesn't!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ELEMGEE
seancraig, Owner at Ben Mhor Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Lesley Graham,

We welcome reviews that are recent and relevant and without exaggeration. These help prospective customers make an informed choice. They also help us as owners and managers monitor our performance and our quality from our customers viewpoint.

We do have bad nights from time to time, the middle of August can be very busy and even the best can have an off night.

You'll notice I am responding in May 2012 to a review you wrote in May 2012. Upon researching your other reviews we note you holidayed in Grantown and had dinner with us in August 2011.- that's 9 months ago - so certainly not recent. I assume the Garden Park, the lovely local b and b where you stayed referred you to us for dinner, they along with many other small hotels and guest houses refer many guests to our Bistro.

Why would you choose to write such a damning review 9 months after the event? I noticed your reviews of other Grantown establishments were not very complimentary either. Were we all having bad nights or were you having a bad week?

Sorry you didn't feel you received value, our beef is supplied by a fine local butcher and is good quality Aberdeen Angus. Our chefs from last August, Dale and Daniel, are still with us and we are very fortunate to have two high quality dedicated chefs working with us. I know every waitress that has worked for us over the last five years as we don't chop and change staff, to my knowledge none of their fathers are the local butcher!

You mention that if you were the owner you would have "sacked the chefs" - we prefer to take a longer term view of things and work with our colleagues taking the odd hiccup as a hiccup, I am sure our prospective customers will look at all our reviews to make an informed choice.

Your review in my opinion fails the test of "recent and relevant" and also the "exaggeration" test.

Each week we discuss meaningful reveiws with our key colleagues, sorry your review will not be on the agenda.

Regards,
Sean Craig
Owner
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Went on a coach trip to Scotland at the beginning of May and there was a last minute change of hotels which was mildly disconcerting, but the Ben Mhor turned out to be great. Nice and central in an interesting town (not some motel on the edge of somewhere dull). Very nice bedroom, bathroom a bit wee bit dated but spotless, all worked well and plenty of towels/toiletries etc. I was expecting the food to be a bit naff as it was part of an organised 'all-in' trip, but I was really impressed - nice choices over 5 days and good breakfasts (e.g. porridge, haddock with poached egg on offer), Very friendly young staff. The bars were the only thing - the residents' one is a bit characterless and the public bar, although very friendly and relaxing was a bit tatty and telly-dominated. Would definitely stay again though - it's a very nice place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Maidstone
Reviewed 22 April 2012

we stayed for 3 nights and found the staff very pleasant and helpful particularly Ezster who arranged for us to have a quiet room upon request. I had a recent birthday and the staff even gave me a birthday card! A nice touch. The food was also tasty and good value. The only reason it did not get 5 stars is because of the constant TV in the bar and, as previously mentioned, the disappointing guest lounge.

Room Tip: Make a request!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
seancraig, Owner at Ben Mhor Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Michael S,

Thank you for your constructive review.

Your comments are very helpful. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and note your positive comments about the food which is in keeping with most of our reviewers.

Sorry our bars disappointed you - our residents bar has just beenfreshened up a bit in response to some comments, there's a new "book library", fresh flowers and daily newspapers and the furniture has been given a move around with some older items removed. We've also increased again our range of local malts - now over 40 and growing. Our front lounge bar is popular for major sporting events, it is not our intention to have TV's dominating, perhaps it was due to demand from guests - we will look at keeping the balance right for all in the future.

I agree Estzer (Esti) is a star and we are fortunate to have Esti and many other stars working with us.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Sean Craig
Owner
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I read some review and was unsure - some people though never cease to amaze - expectations of some people are un realistic.

Stayed with my wife everything was very good

Staff were exceptional food was very good and Brekkie was much better than most hotels

Comfy clean and seemed well run - highly recommended

It is what it is a nice 3 star hotel with good food and hard working individuals trying their very best to look after guests

If some people want 4 and 5 star luxury I suggest they stop whining and pay for it

• Stayed April 2012
Reviewed 17 April 2012

6 of us ate here on Friday 13th April 2012. Food was ok. All served on time and hot. Hotel is VERY tired and in dire need of a refurb! Residents lounge looks, feels and smells like an old peoples home. Staff were all very nice and did the best with what they had to work with. Wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
The Craiglynne Hotel
#2 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Carrbridge

Been to Ben Mhor Hotel? Share your experiences!