“Wonderful time spent on a short break.”
Review of Ben Mhor Hotel

Ben Mhor Hotel
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed at the Ben Mhor hotel this year because our usual hotel could not offer us a block of 4-5 nights. We have visited the area for over 40yrs, first staying with relatives but in the latter years staying in Granton as our relatives are elderly now. We had been in the hotel bar for drinks before but had never stayed. I must admit we were hesitant about booking, but on arrival we were welcomed warmly and shown to our room. The rooms are dated but clean and tidy. We asked to change rooms because of the smell of the kitchen and were given a larger one which was just as dated, but clean. The staff are very helpful, nothing was too much trouble, and the food was excellent. We booked DBB and the choice of menu was great, the breakfast was all you would want. All in all, we were pleased our usual hotel couldnt accommodate us and we will certainly be staying here again next year!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Ben Mhor Hotel

Reviewed 16 July 2012

I stayed in a twin room and the room itself was quite small, the shower stall even smaller. However, if you plan on merely sleeping there, it's just fine. The food served to me varied. One night it was satisfactory, another it was excellent so I'm not sure how to rate that. And there is no elevator, but there are 3 floors of rooms.

I will say that all of the staff I encountered were lovely and very helpful, and the town itself is much of the same!

Room Tip: Beware that there is no elevator so if you aren't very good with stairs request something on the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Solarcatt
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Check out the £8.95 two-course lunch at this hotel - great value. Delicious soup served with warm bread followed by salmon in yummy tarragon and mushroom sauce and nicely cooked vegetables. A portion of chips was supplied free and without prompting by the friendly mine host after we pointed out the kitchen forgot our request to swap the boiled baby potatoes accompanying the quiche (?) to chips. Superb customer service and we were full up for hours!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 night 10th - 14th July 2012. My room had a double bed and looked like it had been recently decorated. The bed was really comfortable and I had excellent night sleeps. The breakfast was cooked fresh and was of a good quality. I had 3 evening meals at the hotel in the 55 Bistro, all three meal were of a good quality at a reasonable price. I found all the staff to be very polite and helpful, making me feel really welcome. Next time I'm in the area I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank davisanthony64
Reviewed 12 July 2012

First of all I would like to mention the good points. Staff very friendly, rooms clean, nice food. We had a family room booked for my wife and little one(in the booking said it was supposed to sleep up to 4) when we got there we checked in went up to the room to discover it was a room with one king size bed, so we went down stairs and said we had booked a family room so we then got our keys for a different room. This room was better , had 3 single beds – still not a family room, but we were happy with this until the night when none of us got a decent sleep with the noise of the bar – you could make out peoples conversations it was that bad and this did not stop until way past 1am. When there is a band playing the noise is even worse, it was well past 2am before it went quiet – for this reason i have to mark this down. It’s a shame as it could of been a nice stay.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Very disappointed with the Ben Mhor. This has none of the convenience of a hotel, and none of the charm of a B&B- I simply can't see why anyone would stay here in comparison to other options. The hotel was tired and dated, with carpets and paint jobs in hallways particularly dreary. The rooms were fine for the price, but not at all charming and quite cramped. We were in room 12- I wonder if other rooms had been updated, but ours was not and I would not recommend it. At check-in we waited for a few minutes at an empty desk (even after having rung the bell)- a harried staff member gave us our key and neglected to mention there is NO 24 hour porter and the hotel closes at night (all lights off, front door locked). In town for a wedding, we arrived back at the hotel at 2am and stood in the rain knocking on the door for 20 minutes until a friendly local stopped and let us use their mobile phone to call the hotel where (luckily) someone picked up and came to let us in. Apparently there is a back door and code we should have been given? Staff were somewhat apologetic the next day. The locals who helped us said this happened FREQUENTLY and should be written up in the local paper. Our friends stayed in other (slightly more expensive) places nearby which were much, much better value.

Room Tip: Avoid room 12!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bluescharm
Reviewed 15 June 2012

This is a small hotel on the main street of Grantown-on-Spey. It is an individual hotel (which if you've read my other reviews, you'll know I prefer) not a typical chain hotel. It has charm throughout and the rooms are well equipped and very well decorated. Staff are excellent as is the food. The town is very quiet at night but the hotel has a great bar attached with a good selection of drinks, including real ale. There is live music in the bar on certain nights. No doubt I'll be back in this hotel again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
The Craiglynne Hotel
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel
Garth Hotel & Restaurant
Garth Hotel & Restaurant
#5 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey

Been to Ben Mhor Hotel? Share your experiences!