“Worth a quick visit”
Review of Woolsthorpe Manor

Woolsthorpe Manor
Ranked #3 of 25 things to do in Grantham
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Woolsthorpe Manor is a well preserved, quaint farm-house from the 17th century.
It's main draw is that this is the birthplace and family home of Sir Isaac Newton, and the apple tree in the grounds is what inspired his works on gravity.

It's exciting to witness this site, and am happy it's in the National Trusts hands so this is possible, but it's a small site and beyond the tree and the small manor house with some facts about Newton's life, there's nothing much else to see. I would definitely recommend a visit, and not to take anything away from the fabulous job the staff and National Trust are doing,but I wouldn't travel a great distance to visit.

Staff were friendly and helpful on the whole, the parking "attendant" slipped between friendly and rude at times, admission is reasonable.

There's a coffee shop/discovery center in the grounds, I didn't check out the discovery center area as there didn't seem to be much, but the coffee shop was refreshingly affordable. Toilet facilities are in a separate block near the entrance, clean and well maintained.

All reviews
in 13 reviews
"couple of hours"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed 13 April 2014

It was fascinating to see the apple tree that inspired Newton to work out his theory on gravity. The manor house may be small, but has loads of character. The hands on science exhibition is great fun for all ages.

1  Thank Keith4529
Reviewed 3 April 2014

As you may have read I was doing a tour of south & eastern England,. On last day I managed to accomplish something of a 'bucket list'must for me. Woolsthorpe Manor is the birthplace of Sir Isaac Newton. A couple of years ago went to Settle Storytelling Weekend (well worth a try) one of the stories was done a professor from York University, he had studied in Cambridge, the same college as said scientific hero of mine. He wrote a paper proving that the tree standing outside Woolsthorpe manor is the very one that the apple fell from inspiring the great man to write his theory of gravity, without which so many of us would not have many of the thing which we have today . . . . So. . . .a bit of a pilgrimage for me.
.Run by National Trust, staff very knowledgeable & helpful. Overall house & grounds inspiringly interesting. Things for all ages, staff in cafe polite, helpful & efficient.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Our tour guide was friendly and knowledgeable. There are plenty of hands on science experiments for the children. The national trust cafe was excellent as always.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We visited here while we were on our way home from a weekend away at Lincoln, as we are National Trust members we thought we would visit. Its not a big site so I'm not sure you could make a full day of it but if you had young children you could take advantage of the activity rooms on offer, my son is a teenager now so he is a bit too old for them now but younger children would love it.

The house and story of Sir Isaac Newton was very interesting, you can only access the house via a guided tour, our tour guide was new and this was very evident, I'm sure he will get better with time. Coco the cat gets everywhere, my boyfriend and son took a shine to her, 1 minute she was on a bed, the next she was on a rug!!!

It was nice to see the actual Apple Tree too - not sure though if I would want to pay for a large family to enter the attraction though, thats why the membership is worth it, if you haven't got membership and you have a family, get it, its so worth the money.