“not the best afternoon tea.”

Urban Hotel Grantham
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Grantham
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked afternoon tea at the hotel as a pre-birthday celebration. I had booked it via Grouon for myself and my husband. We paid £12.00 for high tea. Four family members came too and paid the hotel price which was £10 per head. We were greeted by several members of staff and they were very accommodating at putting tables together so we could sit together. We waited quite a while at the bar to order some drinks.
We ordered tea and coffee which were served in old metal tea-pots which had seen better days. A couple of our teacups were chipped and had to be replaced. When the food arrived, we were disappointed at the amount supposed to be for 6 people. The bread seemed basic and only enough for 3 triangles each, so not even a full sandwich. We were short on cakes too and when we asked for more, we were told that they had run out. We also asked for more sandwiches which we were charged £5 for.
I have done quite a few afternoon teas and I am afraid this is probably the worst. I have never been charged extra for more sandwiches and surely if you run out of one cake, you would replace it with something else!!
A bit more work needed here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Sales M, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time for feedback regarding our afternoon tea, I have taken on board your comments and I do agree, I will be over the ecoming weeks re launching our afternoon tea's with our chef & restaurant manageress.

Please contact me on gm@urbanhotelgrantham.co.uk to discuss further.

Thomas Brierley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Organised a weekend for friends. We always meet up each year for a bit of a reunion, and as we live all over the country we try to get somewhere central. The hotel was well placed just of the main road and was very pleasant. The rooms were well presented and clean, the bed was huge and very comfortable but had an air fresher which gave off a very unpleasant smell and kept waking me up. The breakfast was self service and was very good apart from the hot drinks which were not very good. The only disappointment was the attitude if the bar staff, we returned from a nice meal in the town at about 10.45 on the Saturday night ordered a round of drinks and then they closed the bar. We asked for it to be opened but was told they had to cash up and could not reopen the bar until the floor dried. Following requests the bar did reopen after 20 mins with staff obviously not really wanting to. We had another drink as did other guests who were returning from outside. it spoiled the night really, we did not want to stay in the bar till late we just wanted an ice relaxing drink in the spacious area, but the staff's attitude was at best disappointing. One did try to explain saying that in over 9 years the bar always closed at 11.00, that would have been fine if he had given us opportunity for a double round, but all we got was attitude. To be fair I did raise it with the manager in the morning and he was very apologetic and assured me that should not have happened. Unfortunately it had tainted our stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Sales M, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Many Thanks for taking the time for the review.

I am glad you had a nice stay apart from with the exception of the having to wait for the bar staff to cash up.

I am very sorry about this and Thank you for bringing it to my attention, we like to look after all our guests at the Urban Hotel and I will speak with the relevant people to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

We are going through a very exciting transition for the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed on a groupon weekend with the girlies and what a weekend we had the staff were all amazing and helpful the new general manager Tom was very nice and nothing was too much trouble for himself or any of his staff. Chris treated us like queens and nothing was too much trouble definately will be going again hopefully soon. We enjoyed the pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Brilliant facilities. Also plenty of staff on at all times. Food and service was excellent. I cannot compliment this hotel enough.

Room Tip: All rooms are brilliant we were in 105 which is just nxt to the pool etc

Linda

Many thanks for a lovely trip advisor. I'm glad that you felt well and truly pampered and looked after.

It was a pleasure to have you here and I hope that Bob enjoyed his stay as well.

We will be very soon be offering beauty treatments to so next time will be even better.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Urban Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Pre arrival I had a few issues with rooms booked and number of nights but I put this down to the hotel changing hands.

On arrival it was later Friday evening, I didn't think we were particularly welcomed just pointed to our room. I had to ask about breakfast and pool facilities. We also discovered when at the bar because we hadn't swiped a card on arrival we could add drinks to our room. We were not asked for a card on arrival and this caused some faffing around going back to the room to get our wallets.

Rooms and hotel in general is in need of a refurb it's dated and for the same price we could have stayed at the Premier Inn around the corner ; modern, fresh and you know what you are getting.

The positive was the size of the bed it was king size and not a joining of twin beds which sometimes find in hotels.

Breakfast choice was good, busy in the restaurant particularly on Sunday. I felt for the staff as they were rushed off their feet and couldn't replenish things fast enough.

All in all I probably wouldn't stay here again. The price doesn't reflect the standard of the hotel, with a lick of paint, updated furniture and a refresher in staff training there is potential. Next time I will just book the Premier Inn.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Wrighty0

Many thanks for your review.

Sorry your stay wasn't enjoyable and that there was a bit of faffing around with your stay.

We are going through big changes here at the Urban Hotel with our rebranding.

Over the coming months they are exciting times, we have big plans for the hotel and also there will be a lot of time spent with staff in training.

Next time your in the area please call me directly and you can see how far we have come and I will look at your rate for you.

Tom

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Urban Hotel and just had to say what a fabulous 2 nights we had. We were lucky to have got an excellent deal with Groupon for 2 nights bed and breakfast, full use of the pool facilities, one evening meal and a Cream Tea all included!

We had an excellent stay from the moment we arrived.....the staff were attentive, the food excellent and the rooms clean, comfortable and airy! We loved it and will certainly stay again!
A special thank you to Tom, the Duty Manager and Chris the most attentive Waiter, nothing was ever too much trouble!

Cannot wait to stay again!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms near Reception were quiet and convenient for the Pool facilities!
1  Thank Deborah W
Sales M, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Debroah

Many thanks for your lovely trip advisor, I am glad that the team looked after you this weekend, it was a pleasure.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Urban Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel with three of my friends this last weekend and had an amazing time. The rooms were clean and spacious, the bathroom well equipt with extras AND the beds were VERY comfortable. The first evening we dined at the hotel restaurant and the food was wonderful with a nice choice of menu, it was fresh and tasty. The standard was equally high for the breakfast too, plenty of choice including cold meats, fresh fruit, yoghurts, muselin and cereals, toast, pastries and cooked breakfast. Everything was cooked fresh and nice and hot including runny fried eggs! The staff throughout the hotel were fantastic, very friendly and extremely helpful. If you had any problems at all they would help straight away and without making you feel like you were a nuisance. In short, if you want a break in or near to Grantham THE URBAN HOTEL is the place to stay. My friends and I hope to return VERY SOON.

Paula

Thank your for your feedback during your recent stay at the Urban Hotel, I'm glad we looked after you and you had a great stay. I'm hoping to see you soon for some more great memories.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Myself and my partner stayed one night at this hotel.

The staff were extremely helpful. We were offered an early check at no extra charge due to the fact we opted for a room upstairs.

The only let down was the size of pool. I like to swim lengths in the morning, but was unable to do so as the pool was so small.

The breakfast was great. Plenty of choice.
The room was well equipped with all amenities and the bed was a very good size.

Myself and my partner went to the local takeaway and brought the food back to the hotel. The bar staff were happy to offer us plates, cutlery, napkins and glasses and even a cork screw.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sales M, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

We have a great team here and I am glad that they looked after you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Urban Hotel very soon.

Thomas Brierley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantham
Eden House Hotel
Ramada Resort Grantham
Stoke Rochford Hall
Stoke Rochford Hall
#1 of 1 in Stoke Rochford

Been to Urban Hotel Grantham? Share your experiences!