“Not worth even a Groupon price”

Urban Hotel Grantham
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Grantham
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was given an Groupon afternoon high tea for my birthday and I took my friend along. There was no china in sight and the silver coloured teapot had seen better days. After a half hour wait, the barman brought out 4 scones with cream/jam and told us to enjoy!!
I had to chase after him to ask him where the sandwiches, cakes and champagne were?? - not good.
He then brought out the scimpiest plates of sandwiches and cakes I have seen in an afternoon tea. We were at a loss as to how 9 triangles shared equally between two people. The fillings were disappointing; cheap cheese, cheap ham and a weird tuna and spring onion mixture?? The bread was also cheap.
The cakes amounted to no more than a 'Mr Kiplings' carrot cake slice and a chocolate slice cut in half (half each) and we had to share a cheap cherry bakewell!!
The 'champagne' was flat, sweet and probably Lambrini or some such like cheap alcohol.
The only saving grace with this was that it was at least clotted cream.
I took a colleague along as a treat and have to say I was embarrassed. I wouldn't go there again. We were also going to suss the place out as a conference venue as our business holds regular seminars, but given the cheap rubbish we received, I wouldn't touch it or recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Sales M, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time for giving us some feedback regarding your afternoon tea.

Afternoon tea is currently being re branded and a higher standard set, If you could contact me on gm@urbanhotelgrantham.co.uk or 0845 886 9006. I would like to discuss further with you.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We had a Groupon for 2 nights with breakfast, a 3 course meal and an Afternoon Tea. We were greeted with a smile and alloted our room. Large clean and tidy room with a HUGE bed. Nice to have 2 easy chairs and a table too. Unfortunately a tap was broken but as soon as I reported it to reception we were given another room, no problem. Our 3-course meals had good choices and was delicious. Breakfasts had lots of choice and really good quality bacon,sausage and black pudding, good coffee too. Our only disappointment was Urban Hotels idea of "Afternoon Tea"!! All we were served were 2 scones each and a drink, which surely is a "Cream Tea"?? We questioned this but were assured "thats what you get for Afternoon Tea"!! Saying that, we would stay there again if the price was right for us!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PAMELA L
Sales M, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am glad overall you had a good stay with us, Afternoon tea is a new offering for the urban hotel, you are correct it Is a Cream tea that we offering. Our Food & Beverage managers and I are currently discussing revamping our afternoon tea and new and full training is being completed.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon to the Urban Hotel.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Positives are all the regulars. Negatives are as follows
Room service charge £5, sure this could be hidden in price.
Room service tray left in corridor overnight and still a number there even at checkout time. Staff had walked passed a number of times.
King sized bed two single beds put together!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sales M, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time in leaving your response.

Can you contact me on GM@urbanhotelgrantham.co.uk so I can discuss further with you as We do not charge £5 for room service tray charge. I have read through our bedroom literature and there is a £5 charge for breakfast to be delivered, I do agree though that shouldn't be on and I have taken it off so that no charges for tray charge at all.

General Manager.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked afternoon tea at the hotel as a pre-birthday celebration. I had booked it via Grouon for myself and my husband. We paid £12.00 for high tea. Four family members came too and paid the hotel price which was £10 per head. We were greeted by several members of staff and they were very accommodating at putting tables together so we could sit together. We waited quite a while at the bar to order some drinks.
We ordered tea and coffee which were served in old metal tea-pots which had seen better days. A couple of our teacups were chipped and had to be replaced. When the food arrived, we were disappointed at the amount supposed to be for 6 people. The bread seemed basic and only enough for 3 triangles each, so not even a full sandwich. We were short on cakes too and when we asked for more, we were told that they had run out. We also asked for more sandwiches which we were charged £5 for.
I have done quite a few afternoon teas and I am afraid this is probably the worst. I have never been charged extra for more sandwiches and surely if you run out of one cake, you would replace it with something else!!
A bit more work needed here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time for feedback regarding our afternoon tea, I have taken on board your comments and I do agree, I will be over the ecoming weeks re launching our afternoon tea's with our chef & restaurant manageress.

Please contact me on gm@urbanhotelgrantham.co.uk to discuss further.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Organised a weekend for friends. We always meet up each year for a bit of a reunion, and as we live all over the country we try to get somewhere central. The hotel was well placed just of the main road and was very pleasant. The rooms were well presented and clean, the bed was huge and very comfortable but had an air fresher which gave off a very unpleasant smell and kept waking me up. The breakfast was self service and was very good apart from the hot drinks which were not very good. The only disappointment was the attitude if the bar staff, we returned from a nice meal in the town at about 10.45 on the Saturday night ordered a round of drinks and then they closed the bar. We asked for it to be opened but was told they had to cash up and could not reopen the bar until the floor dried. Following requests the bar did reopen after 20 mins with staff obviously not really wanting to. We had another drink as did other guests who were returning from outside. it spoiled the night really, we did not want to stay in the bar till late we just wanted an ice relaxing drink in the spacious area, but the staff's attitude was at best disappointing. One did try to explain saying that in over 9 years the bar always closed at 11.00, that would have been fine if he had given us opportunity for a double round, but all we got was attitude. To be fair I did raise it with the manager in the morning and he was very apologetic and assured me that should not have happened. Unfortunately it had tainted our stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Sales M, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Many Thanks for taking the time for the review.

I am glad you had a nice stay apart from with the exception of the having to wait for the bar staff to cash up.

I am very sorry about this and Thank you for bringing it to my attention, we like to look after all our guests at the Urban Hotel and I will speak with the relevant people to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

We are going through a very exciting transition for the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed on a groupon weekend with the girlies and what a weekend we had the staff were all amazing and helpful the new general manager Tom was very nice and nothing was too much trouble for himself or any of his staff. Chris treated us like queens and nothing was too much trouble definately will be going again hopefully soon. We enjoyed the pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Brilliant facilities. Also plenty of staff on at all times. Food and service was excellent. I cannot compliment this hotel enough.

Room Tip: All rooms are brilliant we were in 105 which is just nxt to the pool etc
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Linda

Many thanks for a lovely trip advisor. I'm glad that you felt well and truly pampered and looked after.

It was a pleasure to have you here and I hope that Bob enjoyed his stay as well.

We will be very soon be offering beauty treatments to so next time will be even better.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Urban Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Pre arrival I had a few issues with rooms booked and number of nights but I put this down to the hotel changing hands.

On arrival it was later Friday evening, I didn't think we were particularly welcomed just pointed to our room. I had to ask about breakfast and pool facilities. We also discovered when at the bar because we hadn't swiped a card on arrival we could add drinks to our room. We were not asked for a card on arrival and this caused some faffing around going back to the room to get our wallets.

Rooms and hotel in general is in need of a refurb it's dated and for the same price we could have stayed at the Premier Inn around the corner ; modern, fresh and you know what you are getting.

The positive was the size of the bed it was king size and not a joining of twin beds which sometimes find in hotels.

Breakfast choice was good, busy in the restaurant particularly on Sunday. I felt for the staff as they were rushed off their feet and couldn't replenish things fast enough.

All in all I probably wouldn't stay here again. The price doesn't reflect the standard of the hotel, with a lick of paint, updated furniture and a refresher in staff training there is potential. Next time I will just book the Premier Inn.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Wrighty0

Many thanks for your review.

Sorry your stay wasn't enjoyable and that there was a bit of faffing around with your stay.

We are going through big changes here at the Urban Hotel with our rebranding.

Over the coming months they are exciting times, we have big plans for the hotel and also there will be a lot of time spent with staff in training.

Next time your in the area please call me directly and you can see how far we have come and I will look at your rate for you.

Tom

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantham
Belton Woods Hotel
#6 of 7 in Grantham
Travelodge Grantham A1
Travelodge Grantham A1
#4 of 7 in Grantham

Been to Urban Hotel Grantham? Share your experiences!