“Excellent value”

Urban Hotel Grantham
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Grantham
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We got an offer in the internet and travelled down from Preston. We were greeted by very friendly staff. Check in was 2 and we arrived just after 1 which was no problem at all to the gentlemen on reception. Location lovely just off the main road. Grounds were lovely. Our room was spotless and I think the bed was bigger than a king size. Great leisure facility's. Breakfast was lovely plenty of choice. Fruit, yoghurts, meats, croissants, cereals and all the usual for a cooked breakfast. Every staff member was pleasant, smiling and passing the time of day with us. Would definitely stay again and would recommend it xx

• Stayed: July 2014
Thomas B, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for a lovely review.

Its lovely to see that my team have once again looked after their guests, and the important thing is that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Thomas Brierley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Had a one night stay here for my brothers wedding which was held at the hotel, We stayed in a family room, which had two double beds in it. The room was very clean. all the linen, and towels were fresh. The room was south facing onto a courtyard sun trap which meant the room was so hot when we arrived it was unbearable, so we opened all the windows and went to the bar for cold lager . . that helped!
When we went back later to get ready for the wedding it was a little cooler, but not much. The wedding room was really hot and the reception room was mafting, especially after jumping up and down to that wedding classic "Baggy Trousers"by Madness.
Back in the room we did manage to finally get to sleep despite the heat and helped massively by loads of San Miguel, Smirnoff and fizzy toast wine.
The included breakfast was a good standard with loads of choice, but things were a little slow coming out, and when they did only small numbers on each serving plate, so the "full English" took three trips to the buffet.
The pool, gym etc. looked really good, but we didn't use them.
All sounds good, so why the 2star poor rating?
All the hotel staff were friendly and helpful, but nobody seemed to have a clue what was going on! The night before the wedding my sister in law was told the reception room would be available to be dressed up from 6pm, but when she got there there was a blood donors meeting on and she had to go back at 9pm to set up, not the best pre wedding night! its a good job she went in because loads of things were wrong with the wedding plan that had to be corrected, the excuse was a different member of staff had agreed the initial plan, but she no longer dealt with weddings so someone else had taken over.
The wedding buffet was not the best, if you burn all the pizzas its best to throw them away and do more rather than put the plates of burnt food out that nobody eats. There was supposed to be a separate kids buffet, but this was all put out together mixed in with the adult food, and the kids chips did not appear until half an hour after the rest. There was loads of other things that did not meet the mark, like no one coming to cut up the cake as agreed.
At my wedding at a different hotel years ago the hotel staff were the ones telling us what to do, what was due to happen etc. where as at the Grantham Urban the staff had to told regularly what they should be doing.
Luckily the overall wedding was not spoilt, and we all had a great time, but if it was me paying the wedding bill I'd be looking far a big discount!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank steve h

Steve

Thanks for your feedback.

The feedback regarding with the wedding has been discussed with both my operational team and our wedding co-ordinator enabling us to move forward. I have personally emailed the bride.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay here rooms the food and staff have all been 5* lesure centre is 1st class would recommend this hotel if in the area. Nothing is to much trouble did not like what was on the set menu one night was asked what I would like egg and chips was my reply no problem was the reply happy days.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Pete

Glad that you had a great stay with us and that the team did what they do best going the extra mile. We are currently just re designing the menu for our restaurant and when the new menu is launched we will be launching a newer and bigger menu for our inclusive menu's.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Me and my husband stayed overnight at this hotel and left the next day feeling exhausted and appauled! We had a phone stoked from the leisure part (inside a locked locker, make of that what you will) and from then everything went wrong! Very hesitant about staying here again! Standards need improving!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Cookiedough22

Thank you for taking the time to leave you review regarding your recent stay with us.

It always disappoints me to read when a guest doesn't enjoy their stay with us.

I am aware of the phones disappearance from the team that day, if you could contact me directly or email me on gm@urbanhotelgrantham.co.uk I would appreciate discussing this further as I take these things extremely serious.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Something of an oasis in an industrial estate desert.
But don't let that put you off.
Perfect situation for anyone travelling on A1.

Pleasant well kept gardens with lawns and mature trees cutting out traffic noise from nearby A1.
Undistinguished and perhaps impersonal, but certainly not unattractive, modern building with impressive entrance and spacious, comfortably furnished interior public areas.
The garden areas off the bar and dining room are pleasant for sitting out although the seats are uncomfortably hard.

The bedroom exceeded our expectations – large, well furnished with 2 double beds (very comfortable) and immaculately decorated – even the pictures on the walls were attractive and there was a variety of teas and coffee and a good sized TV.
The spacious bathroom had an excellent shower (over the bath) and a good supply of toiletries. Everything was very clean.

Dinner on our first night was, very reasonably, from a limited Groupon menu; not especially innovative or exceptional (my wife had a decent risotto and I had roast pork loin with apple mash and veg) but very good, with more than adequate portions, especially the desserts (half the tiramisu would have been generous !). Reasonably priced a nd very drinkable wine by the glass.
On the second day, as part of our deal, we had an excellent and generous cream tea (superb freshly baked scones) and consequently were more than satisfied sharing a large, delicious Margherita pizza in the evening.
The buffet style breakfast had impressive variety and the hot items were freshly cooked and frequently replenished. The toaster, although effective, demanded patience and (something which I feel strongly should be addressed) on the second morning the plates for the hot food were cold.

When a function was taking place the bar seemed too small for 3 serving and, despite best efforts, the wait for service rather overlong. The choice of draught beers is minimal– no ‘real’ ale, just a lager, a Tetley’s Bitter and San Miguel – but a good selection of spirits.

My wife enjoyed a swim in the (small) pool despite having had to wait for departure of kids and parents. They obviously come in from outside which seems very reasonable.

If approaching on the A1 from the north, take care, unless you have satnav, not to miss the turn off. It is less than obvious. We did overshoot it and had to go down to the next exit and then find our way back (not easy if we hadn’t called at a very conveniently situated car valeting place and most kindly and speedily been provided with a computer route).

If in doubt, best look at your bill before leaving (mine sounded about right so I didn’t check until I arrived home). I am content that I was not overcharged but some items did not appear to make sense. Could they possibly have been crossed/confused with those of another customer ?).

The downside ? Well, I have been picky; the faults, to me, are minor and did nothing to spoil our break. So, on balance, 5 stars merited.
Best feature of all was the staff, so must disagree with some other posters..
Mostly young (and predominantly male) some were still learning but all were trained (or being trained) to a high standard – without exception they were pleasant, polite, cheerful (even under pressure) and helpful. Can’t praise them too highly.

Room Tip: Ground floor overlooking internal garden court was fine.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to leave some lovely feedback regarding your stay and some valid feedback.

We are always striving to ensure that were always learning and making our hotel better, we are already in the process of improving our restaurant menu's for our inclusive guests and that will be in place with in a couple of weeks broadening the choice.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Urban Hotel in the very near future.

Tom

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I booked two rooms for 2 nights stay through groupon and im really glad I did, excellent hotel, friendly staff, great pool and leisure facilities, pool a bit small but still good for a swim.
The menu for evening meal on groupon deal was very limited and my fish and potatoes were over cooked, everyone else had pork and enjoyed it.
My daughter (6) really loved that we got connecting room with her grandparents, the rooms were comfy and spacious.
Breakfast was enjoyable, lots to choose from!
Would definitely recommend this hotel

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking time to review our lovely hotel.

Our team are very passionate and there passion shows in trying to ensure that all the guests are well looked after.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I took my partner away for his birthday for one night via Lastminute.com. We arrived before 2pm the receptionist said room was not ready come back in twenty minutes. On returning to reception, the room was still not ready and was showing on system as still dirty! The receptionist said sorry and would look into it and will come and see us in the bar. Half and hour later still waiting I went to reception now a queue. Room now ready on the ground floor.

Large bed, t.v etc all seemed clean but needs refurbishing especially the bathroom. Unpacked and only two hangers in the wardrobe, lightbulb not working above the bath/shower, so back to reception, no maintenance man in (Saturday afternoon?) housekeeping would provide more hangers. Take your own hairdryer as an old hotel hairdryer base stuck down in a drawer and very short lead....so end up drying your hair over the drawer.

Comfortable nights sleep and the shower is good. No air con and didn't want window open all night as on the ground floor near the carpark.

Went to breakfast around ten, unfortunately no one was around to seat us (sign at entrance says please wait to be seated) another member of staff clicked us off the list and said sit anywhere. Found a table which was just being cleared, I asked the young boy if ok to sit here reply "if you want?" but never cleaned the table or replaced with clean cutlery, plates. Was able to move to a now cleaned table by another member of staff.

Nice hotel for one night but do feel staff training is required for some Reception and Restaurant staff regarding Customer care.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wendy D

Wendy

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. Clearly from your feedback I can imagine that it to be quite frustrating.

We are going through an exciting rebrand of the hotel and I have discussed your feedback with the relevant department managers relating to the service. Our moto here is to make it all about you and make your stay enjoyable and relaxing.

We are currently already addressing the Hairdryer issue and are putting new modern and longer hairdryers in the bedrooms.

We don't have a maintenance guy on a Saturday but all our Duty managers are around to do with all the odd jobs and light bulbs if they go. As you can imagine in a hotel our size they are always going. Again this has been discussed with the team.

I do hope to welcome you back to the Urban hotel in the very near future and you can see what and how we normally offer.

Tom

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantham
Eden House Hotel
Ramada Resort Grantham
Stoke Rochford Hall
Stoke Rochford Hall
#1 of 1 in Stoke Rochford

Been to Urban Hotel Grantham? Share your experiences!