“Friendly staff, good food, good location.”

Urban Hotel Grantham
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Grantham
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Grosswangen, Switzerland
“Friendly staff, good food, good location.”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here for a total of five nights (1 + 4 a few days later). On first arrival we had a similar experience to a previous review - parked around back and couldn't get in/no one answered the doorbell. However, we hadn't unloaded the entire car beforehand (why would someone do that before checking in?) and so just walked around to the front. Check in was quick and easy, staff pleasant and friendly. The rooms are clean and tidy and the beds large and comfy. The first night we were upstairs so had to carry the cases up as no lift but the staff on reception had offered to help - but we were happy to do it ourselves. The next stay we were on the ground floor. Quite a walk to the rooms but we liked it - it was like The Shining walking down those corridors. Just needed a lad on a tricycle! Ha ha. Food in the restaurant was excellent.

In summary:

Pros - price, food, service, friendly staff, location. We didn't try the pool etc but I'd list those as pros, too.
Cons - it would be nice to be able to at least use the room key to enter at the rear or that the doorbell worked. Rooms could do with air conditioning.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve H
Thomas B, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Steve

Thanks for your feedback.

Your feedback regarding use of the back door access is a good suggestion and something that I will look into as its a valid idea. We have recently put the sign back up directing guests to the reception.
Overall I am pleased that the team looked after you and that you had a good stay with us.

Tom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Polish first
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed here a week ago. My Partner and I found the staff very friendly, breakfast was excellant and the room was clean and roomy. We located here to visit family, however there are plenty of places to visit whilst staying here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thomas B, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Many thanks for your review.

I am delighted that you had an excellent stay with us. We strive to look after our guests at all time.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Urban Hotel in the very near future.

South Yorkshire
Reviewed 28 July 2014

From the 1st moment of arrival we had problems at this hotel. To the point of leaving upon waking around 6am without bothering with breakfast. When you pull into the car park don't follow the parking signs painted on the floor - these take you to a disused area of the parking around the back of the building but there was plenty of space and a door saying reception so parked up, unloaded all of our things including a 6 month old baby (and all her things!) went to the door which was locked.. Rang the bell twice no one answered or buzzed us in or anything. Great start.. Proceeded to reload all said baby and items back into car to take round front. Found a small space there and squeezed in the car and proceeded to unload all items and baby once again. Check in was manned, in my opinion by a robot. So false with their smiles and robotic inane questions. I'm sure if you asked them something out of the ordinary their heads would have blown up and a reboot would have been needed.

Once we had our key we walked the 1 mile or so to our room. Great idea putting a family with young children and many many bags so far away. Thanks for that. After checking out the room and finding the cot we had requested being filthy we went to the bar for a drink and a look around the hotel. The mood was sombre. There were about 5 people in the hotel at the most and no atmosphere whatsoever. This place wasn't somewhere you would want to spend much time in. After that it was time for a swim as my 6th month old daughter loves a dip. We got our things and went into the reception area for the pool. The assistant was on her phone possibly playing candy crush or similar and didn't seem to care we were there. I signed in and she then gave us towels and proceeded to tell my partner there were no lockers free for women. I looked into the pool/gym area and there were about 8 people at most in.. Mmmm strange I thought. I said we'd share lockers and went to our appropriate changing rooms. They were locked with a push lock code system - no code given to us! Great. Back to reception (with all our things and babies and such) and asked for codes - was told codes back to changing rooms and we were in...Finally... It turned out there were lockers in the ladies after all but (and what a joke this was) nowhere for her to put our daughter safely while she got changed. Proper establishments put a travelcot or something with sides on to pop baby down on so mum can get changed. Here that was too much for them apparently. Had a nice swim etc and dried/changed went out to the pool reception to find all the lights off and the usual 'assistant' sat on her phone again. What great service you offer here I thought!

By this time it was baby's bedtime so after covering mucky cot to protect her we called down for some ice to have a relaxing drink. We were told no problem. They rang back 5 minutes later waking baby to say no ice left! What a shambles! Nothing else to do no so we slept. When we awoke with her for a 5am feed we'd had enough of the place and checked out. That was the best 5 minutes of the whole stay.

So to summarise... Choose somewhere else. Don't make the same mistake we did.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank RingOandCrystaL
Thank you for your feedback during your stay with us.

I am sorry that we didn't live upto your expectations and from your feedback it was frustrations from the moment you arrived. I have looked into your feedback.

I would like to address a few issues to show that we are constantly ensuring any feedback is used constructively.

1. You parked around the back of the hotel and the old entrance for our hotel and rang the door bell - this is our old entrance and their had been a sign there directing people to reception, I have taken the old reception sign down and re issued a sign informing any guests that this is not our entrance.

2. Your Cot was dirty - they have now been replaced and new ones purchased.

3. Leisure experience - I am sorry regarding your experience in the leisure, we have since purchased brand new locks for all the lockers and I am in the process of adding new lockers into the changing rooms. We have since your stay under gone big changes in the club and are moving it forward.

4. Ice Machine was broken - Sadly that was just a technical error that during the busy weekend it broke on us, and for that I am really sorry. We did get it fixed the next day.

Overall we have worked on your comments in moving forward but that doesn't change whats happened and the fact that you had a frustrating stay.

I would like to talk to you in person please contact me on 01473 573000 or email me on gm@urbanhotelgrantham.co.uk

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here on a Groupon deal for 1 night. Hotel was very nice, clean and spacious. Staff throughout were friendly and the breakfast was good. Got a great night's sleep, not much noise at all. Would definitely stay again if I was in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were only there for one night.
The hotel is very nice it as lots of open spaces, its very clean and all the staff are very friendly, all the cleaning staff said hello as we passed them. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. breakfast was very nice and the staff in the dinning room were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thomas B, General Manager at Urban Hotel Grantham, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Tina

Many thanks for your feedback. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay and that you found the team very pleasant and friendly.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Harrow, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at The Ramada, now The Urban Hotel, off and on over the past 7 years when in the area on business. I used to avoid the hotel when it was The Ramada like the plague but since its conversion to The Urban Hotel have stayed there twice, mainly out of interest. Aesthetically, the only visible change has been the replacement of the Ramada branding with 'Urban' and a refresh of the restaurant, which looks significantly better, but on the whole the hotel still feels very tired and in need of freshening up. The hotel always lacks atmosphere and always seems to be full of elderly coach parties, overnighting workmen, or couples on Groupon getaways for an evening. That said, I can see the new management are making improvements; the service from check-in to check out is much more attentive and professional than ever it used to be and the choice and quality of the food in both the bar and restaurant has increased. The beds are huge and very comfortable and the showers are always hot and powerful. In summary, a functional hotel which appears to be improving, but for those looking for a more memorable or special overnight stay try one of the many great, independent hotels in and around The Vale of Belvoir.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Alex

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We are a little tired in places but as a new management team we are working hard to move our product forward and our service. I am glad you noticed the improvement.

Next time your in please ask to speak to myself and it would be good to meet you.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We got an offer in the internet and travelled down from Preston. We were greeted by very friendly staff. Check in was 2 and we arrived just after 1 which was no problem at all to the gentlemen on reception. Location lovely just off the main road. Grounds were lovely. Our room was spotless and I think the bed was bigger than a king size. Great leisure facility's. Breakfast was lovely plenty of choice. Fruit, yoghurts, meats, croissants, cereals and all the usual for a cooked breakfast. Every staff member was pleasant, smiling and passing the time of day with us. Would definitely stay again and would recommend it xx

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for a lovely review.

Its lovely to see that my team have once again looked after their guests, and the important thing is that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Thomas Brierley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantham
Belton Woods Hotel
#5 of 7 in Grantham
Stoke Rochford Hall
Stoke Rochford Hall
#1 of 1 in Stoke Rochford

Been to Urban Hotel Grantham? Share your experiences!