Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Stoke Rochford Hall(Stoke Rochford)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewskings roomhistoric hotelfour posterhigh streetking johnold coaching innlovely old hotellots of historythird floorno liftwould highly recommend this hotelsmoked salmongood sizevisiting granthamfull englishsteeped in historyopen fire
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We have just returned from a weekend stay at The Angel. Our late night entertainment on Saturday night was a couple in the yard under our window discussing wether or not to split up. From what I heard you made the right choice. It would never have worked!!!!!!

And so to the hotel! Very nice. In the middle of Grantham. Even though there were several people out on both nights our room was quiet.

We were dealt with swiftly on arrival and an offer of help with the luggage was made.

Our room was on the first floor overlooking an alleyway between the two buildings that make up the Angel. Very well presented. Clean and comfortable with all the good things in life like biscuits and hot chocolate! Plasma tv, trouser press and iron all provided. And this was a standard room .

The bathroom was fairly large with a bath and powerful shower. Big white fluffy towels and adequate soaps etc.

Had a meal in the bistro on the first night. I have now to make a negative point as far as we were concerned. We booked a table for 5 at 8pm. At about 7.50 we were given menues and we ordered our meals. We were asked to go into the dining room about 8.10pm, but none of the food arrived until 8.40. Also at breakfast on both mornings we had to ask for our order to be taken. i don't think they ignored us on purpose but it was a bit annoying. However, when the food arrived it was excellent both in the evening and at breakfast.

All the staff we came into contact with were friendly and helpful. It was clear that those in the resaurant were a bit stressed though.
I would recommend the Angel without hesitation and should we return to that area a booking will certainly be made!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
MelissaWatson, General Manager at Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Thank you Mr Hilton for your kind comments and constructive feedback! I can assure you that we appreciate feedback so that we can learn from our mistakes.

The restaurant team are an eager bunch of people but sometimes panic if it is a busy night, when they don't need to. This is all being taken in to account with further training.

Its great that you will return and i hope to see you again very soon. Melissa - General Manager

Reviewed 5 August 2011

Lovely greeting at reception. Very friendly and helpful staff (especially when husband shut the door with the keys inside and us outside). Large portions in bistro and reasonably priced. All round good value

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
MelissaWatson, General Manager at Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

Thank you for your lovely comments - hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 5 August 2011

King John stayed here in the thirteenth century, on his way to Lincoln from London, to sign the historic Magna Carta. What a difference a few centuries make.

Personally, I wouldn't travel from Barrowby, to stay in this over-priced dump, let alone London, whilst full of grumpy, over-worked, under-paid staff. Modern times, huh?

Save your cash, and continue to Lincoln. This 'Hotel', and Grantham in general, is just awful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CoastalRider1975

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to the hotel and the surrounding area, I am surprised that my team did not make you feel welcome as I have a lovely team of enthusiastic, hardworking and eager to please boys and girls. I would love to discuss your comments in more details - if you would like to contact me direct and I will personally investigate your comments.

Reviewed 15 July 2011

Stayed here during a business trip. The rooms are comfortable and a good size, well decorated and clean. The staff are really nice and very helpful. Make sure to tell them at reception if you need to use the WiFi in your room as it doesn't reach them all, I had to move rooms but it wasn't an issue. The food in the bistro is excellent, well priced and some of the best I've had in a hotel, highly recommended. I will no doubt stay here in the future when working in Grantham.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Extraordinarily good value, I stayed a night with my family (wife and three young daughters). Booking was incredibly helpful and friendly (through a lady called Alison) and this helpfulness continued with the staff on reception. Though Grantham itself needs a bit of TLC (WHO allowed vile out of town 'retail park' prefabs so close to the HIgh Street??!) the building is an extraordinary survivor - higgeldy piggeldy and charming. The food was excellent (clearly all home produced and brimming with flavour) and again, very good value, as was the wine list. The full English breakfast was nothing short of superb. Bedrooms were well above the standard one would expect at an inn - well appointed, clean and tastefully decorated. If I had one small complaint, it would be that the place doesn't make the most of its public spaces. This is a building that should be oozing atmosphere and character. Instead, the bulbs are too bright (there ARE alternatives to the awful, stark, strip lighting effect of eco-friendly bulbs: halogen bulbs which fit normal bayonet sockets for example) and the decor in the bar and restaurant just doesn't work. You have ancient fireplaces surmounted by equally ancient gargoyles, heavily beamed ceilings, mullioned windows &etc and yet instead of gorgeous, appropriate fittings and candles there's the odd, bland modern picture (of the sort you might find for sale in in B&Q) and similarly faceless furniture. All very odd. This can all be improved though and the rest more than makes up for it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family