“Excellent choice for wedding reception with room for everyone”

Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Grantham
california
“Excellent choice for wedding reception with room for everyone”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

my brother married on saturday and the reception was at the Angel and Royal - i travelled from california for the weekend and have been spoiled by very high standards after living in America for some time - i cant tell you how good it was - the staff we excellent they were polite and attentive - the ambience was just lovely - the flowers were beautiful- the history mixed with modern amenities was so special and i'm sure my brother and his new wife were over the moon with the event planned by the staff here - the reception meal was a very high standard with a little extra flair and fresh local produce ...we all stayed overnight and pretty much took over the hotel - my room was beautiful - breakfast was semi buffet style and also very high quality .. the styling of all areas of the hotel were top of the line esp the local historic artwork...i loved it ...i wish i had another wedding to plan ...

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank beth-TRIP
MelissaWatson, General Manager at Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2011
Thank you for your lovely comments - the wedding was a fabulous day for all the staff involved, we have even employed two of the bridemaids after the day as they loved what we are all about. I hope to see again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2011

The hotel occupies an important historic building, worth looking at in its own right. Everyone is helpful and friendly and the food is excellent.. The decor is of high quality but a little gloomy. Our room was excellent with expensive dark furniture making it rather sombre. Overall a pleasant provincial hotel if a little dated. Reminds one of one of the old Trust Houses, which of course it was.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank johnandsylviano7
MelissaWatson, General Manager at Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Thank you for your comments, we are in the process of updating the hotel and your constructive feedback is much appreciated.

We look forward to you returning in the near future.

Melissa Watson - General Manager
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I have just stayed at this hotel for the 3rd time, I don't why I didn't write a review before, must have slipped my mind. As before, we seem to have ended up with a little suite rather than just a room! I booked via booking.com this time at £75 but paid this 2 years ago via a different site. I only live a 40 min drive from Grantham but I'd rather stay here than spend the equivalent on a taxi each way!

The door opens into a small lounge area with a desk, TV & wardrobe, then there is a short corridor off which you find the bathroom (phone!) and the bedroom at the end. You get a TV and chest of draws in the bedroom and a comfy bed. The rooms all have windows so you get plenty of light. We overlooked the courtyard but we didn't spend much time in the room as we were at a wedding reception so in a bit of a rush.

There is a lovely bar just across the courtyard (not with 200 whiskies any more which is a shame) its a nice place to start your evening and end it.

Breakfast was great, plenty of choice, a good plateful and hot. They were short on staff as 2 were off sick but even so, we found the service to be excellent (a rather grumpy couple from London moaned about everything but they seemed to be on their own in their complaining) and as usual reception and bar staff were helpful and friendly.

The only fault I had was the shower.....very hot, I was hovering on the edge of the spray for several minutes unable to get under the main jet! When I could get under though it was bliss.

I am hoping for another invite to the Grantham area so I can stay again.

Room Tip: I like 202 best
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PorkpieUk
Thanks for your lovely comments - we hope to see you again soon.

Melissa Watson - General Manager
Southampton
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I've stayed in 3 hotels in Grantham and I would rate this one as the better of the 3. I have stayed here in the past and it was my hotel of choice even before it became part of the Best Western Group. I stayed twice in July and had a similar experiance on both occasions. The car park with plenty of spaces is situated across the road at the rear of the hotel, fenced off, covered by CCTV. Check in is fine and my second visit my room was on the top level of the hotel, quite a lot of stairs, especially without a lift. The corridors could do with a little tidying but both rooms were very good, even more so considering that this hitel boasts in being the oldest inn in England. Both rooms had comfy beds a large freeview TV and a good bathrooms with decent showers. I used the free Wi-Fi (a login in is issued by reception) and worked well in all the areas I used. Whilst the hotel is located in the centre of Grantham with easy access to other restaurants and bars, on both visits I dined in the hotel, and there was a good menu selection and my choices were well presented. The bar has a limited selection of drinks available. There is a residents lounge which has a choice of magazines, daily papers, and if you explore the far end a small room with a couple of comfy sofas and a TV. Breakfast is a real treat with not just the usual full English but a couple of fish selections as well. Check out was fine and accurate, just remember to get a code for the barrier as it changes daily.

Room Tip: Book early on the website.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank halle1964
MelissaWatson, General Manager at Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
Thank you for your kind comments that I have passed to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Angel and Royal in the near future.

Melissa - General Manager
England
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We have just returned from a weekend stay at The Angel. Our late night entertainment on Saturday night was a couple in the yard under our window discussing wether or not to split up. From what I heard you made the right choice. It would never have worked!!!!!!

And so to the hotel! Very nice. In the middle of Grantham. Even though there were several people out on both nights our room was quiet.

We were dealt with swiftly on arrival and an offer of help with the luggage was made.

Our room was on the first floor overlooking an alleyway between the two buildings that make up the Angel. Very well presented. Clean and comfortable with all the good things in life like biscuits and hot chocolate! Plasma tv, trouser press and iron all provided. And this was a standard room .

The bathroom was fairly large with a bath and powerful shower. Big white fluffy towels and adequate soaps etc.

Had a meal in the bistro on the first night. I have now to make a negative point as far as we were concerned. We booked a table for 5 at 8pm. At about 7.50 we were given menues and we ordered our meals. We were asked to go into the dining room about 8.10pm, but none of the food arrived until 8.40. Also at breakfast on both mornings we had to ask for our order to be taken. i don't think they ignored us on purpose but it was a bit annoying. However, when the food arrived it was excellent both in the evening and at breakfast.

All the staff we came into contact with were friendly and helpful. It was clear that those in the resaurant were a bit stressed though.
I would recommend the Angel without hesitation and should we return to that area a booking will certainly be made!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you Mr Hilton for your kind comments and constructive feedback! I can assure you that we appreciate feedback so that we can learn from our mistakes.

The restaurant team are an eager bunch of people but sometimes panic if it is a busy night, when they don't need to. This is all being taken in to account with further training.

Its great that you will return and i hope to see you again very soon. Melissa - General Manager
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Lovely greeting at reception. Very friendly and helpful staff (especially when husband shut the door with the keys inside and us outside). Large portions in bistro and reasonably priced. All round good value

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
MelissaWatson, General Manager at Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2011
Thank you for your lovely comments - hope to see you again soon
Nottingham
Reviewed 5 August 2011

King John stayed here in the thirteenth century, on his way to Lincoln from London, to sign the historic Magna Carta. What a difference a few centuries make.

Personally, I wouldn't travel from Barrowby, to stay in this over-priced dump, let alone London, whilst full of grumpy, over-worked, under-paid staff. Modern times, huh?

Save your cash, and continue to Lincoln. This 'Hotel', and Grantham in general, is just awful.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CoastalRider1975
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to the hotel and the surrounding area, I am surprised that my team did not make you feel welcome as I have a lovely team of enthusiastic, hardworking and eager to please boys and girls. I would love to discuss your comments in more details - if you would like to contact me direct and I will personally investigate your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantham
Belton Woods Hotel
Ramada Resort Grantham
Travelodge Grantham A1
Travelodge Grantham A1
#5 of 7 in Grantham

Been to Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!