“Fantastic”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Grantham
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Perfect, everything from the room prices to the staff, the meals, the comfortable beds, the beautiful rooms the setting and proximity to the local town, we absolutely loved it, We cannot wait to book again, Many thanks everyone, you really made our weekend very memorable and special time for us, Cheers.

Room Tip: it really is worthwhile upgrading the rooms they are beautiful
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony M
Jane G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Angel & Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for the wonderful comments & we look forward to seeing you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Lincs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

Albeit a brief stay this very centrally located hotel was surprisingly quiet, the english breakfast was fantastic (I don't say that often either!), good quality & really set us up for the day. We didnt eat there @ night but another couple we spoke to @ breakfast said they had & it had been lovely.
Our room was modern, clean and overall the hotel has made the very best of its old heritage so it was a good mix of old & new.
We really liked it & will definitely book there again for a friends wedding held locally later this year. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank fishface3463
Jane G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Angel & Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for the lovely comments.I'm glad you enjoyed our wonderful breakfast & look forward to seeing you again
East Kilbride, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed at the Angel and Royal hotel in Grantham from 23rd Tuesday to Thursday 25th of April 2013. I travel to Grantham 3 or 4 times a year on business, I usually stay in the Ramada at Swingbridge. So this was my first time in the Angel & Royal.

It's in a great location for the town center, close to all the shops, restaurants, & pubs. The staff are very friendly, The room I stayed in (210) was clean and warm maybe a little to warm for me personally. But all I had to do was open the window, or so I thought, with the window open the noise from the kitchen is far to loud.

I never had a meal in the hotel apart from breakfasts which was very nice (omellett one morning, full English the next).

The biggest problem I had with the hotel was the free Wi-Fi, or the lack of it! As I said as I was there on business so a internet connection is one of the most important aspects of a hotel for me!
I did make the receptionist aware of the lack of connection as soon as I arrived. And to her credit she did offer me the use of one of the hotel's meeting rooms for a conference call that I had. But the service level in there was still no good!
I had the same problem will all three devices that I carry with me! So for the two nights that I stayed at the hotel my customers, suppliers, & workmates thought I had dropped of the face the earth. I did use other places Wi-Fi connections, although not ideal for conducting my business!

And for that reason I will not be returning to the Angel and Royal hotel and neither will any of my workmates! It's back to the Ramada hotel for all of us from now on.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems book a room on the lower levels, as it's a fair walk and climb to...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Billy H
Jane G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Angel & Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear Guest I'm glad you liked our hotel & apologise for the lack of internet during your stay. I’m at this moment addressing this problem with our IT company & hope that you & your colleagues will considering stay with us again once this issue is corrected
Attleborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

Staying on a three day break we loved this place. Our room or rather 'suite of rooms' was spotlessly clean, food in 'Berties Bistro was excellent, car parking good and outstandingly friendly and helpful staff. My husband had an accident at Belton House during our stay which meant he ended up in Lincoln hospital. All the staff were exceptionally kind and supportive and they made what could have been a traumatic ten days more bearable. Thank you to them all. We will definitely be going back to 'The Angel'.

Room Tip: Ask for room 105
1 Thank sandyshAttleborough
Dear Guest Thank you for the lovely comments on your stay & we look forward to seeing you again soon & hope your husband’s recovery is going well
Leatherhead
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

A three day break that we really enjoyed.

The staff were really excellent, welcoming and friendly.

The dinner Bertie's Bistro was really excellent value and the food delicious and the breakfasts were the best I have had for a long time. A chef who can really poach a decent egg!!

It is an historical building and as such there are bound to be the odd quirky bits and getting to the room was a bit of a hike.

I recommend that those with mobility issues check on the room location first.

What was a big surprise was that, despite being fresh air fiends, we had peaceful nights despite the town centre location

A minor problem with fusing bathroom lights at about 10.00 pm and a bedside light that did not work but we were immediately offered a replacement room, but declined

The bar attached to Berties is a bit soulless and we did not get to try the second bar on the other side of the coachway as its opening times seemed to be a bit random!

Overall a place I would go back to

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems check where you will be put--it can be a hike!
1 Thank PhilipUK47
Jane G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Angel & Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2013
Dear Guest we are really pleased you enjoyed you 3 day break with us & hope you will come back & stay with us again soon
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

I normally stop in more modern hotels, but was pleasantly surprised by the Angel and Royal.
It is immaculately kept, has some lovely quirks and a fantastic charm.
Great attention to detail with rooms which are beautifully and spotlessly presented.
Everything's been thought of for you from car parking at the back with a code to get out, wi-fi codes given out and a generous supply of coffee, tea biscuits etc in rooms.
Staff friendly and keen to help and the food was excellent.
Superb location right in the town centre as well.
Only a brief stay, but hugely impressed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Jane G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Angel & Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Hi Thank you for the wonderful comments. We are glad you enjoyed the quirks that come with a hotel with such a long & colourful history & hope you will be able to come back & visit us again come back soon
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed at this hotel using our Tesco hotel vouchers. Other hotel chains had told us that they had no rooms available once they discovered we were using our hotel vouchers but Best Western were brilliant! They went out of their way to find us somewhere to stay which ticked all our boxes and we were not disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was great, we had a wonderful suite which was fantastic and their car park offered secure parking which meant we had no worries about the car either. We had a lovely and relaxing weekend and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest we are really pleased you had a lovely relaxing weekend with us & hope you will be able to come back soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantham
Belton Woods Hotel
Stoke Rochford Hall
Stoke Rochford Hall
#1 of 1 in Stoke Rochford
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,191 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN Angel & Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!