“Chosen for the location”

Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Grantham
Kettering
“Chosen for the location”
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We were attending a wedding at St Wulframs church and reception in the town centre so picked this hotel for it's location and also not bad rating/reviews on here.
It is billed as a boutique hotel which I think is far from it. When we arrived, check in was quick and fine but when we got to the room it was pretty disappointing, it was very small and the standard of the decor is severely lacking with some cosmetic repairs in great need.
The bed was very hard and another couple who were attending the same wedding hit the nail on the head, they said they had booked bed and board and the bed was definitely the board. I've got to say they were the worst 2 nights sleep of my life!
There was a wedding going on there on the Friday night and it was very noisy because they were in the courtyard and being warm we had to have the window open so didn't get to sleep that early that night.
We ate in the restaurant on the first night and it was ok, the food was a bit pricy for what you get and it's very dull/dim in there so not that great an atmosphere. The website also says the hotel is wheelchair accessible but if you want to eat in the upstairs restaurant you can't and also the toilets are downstairs.
The hotel had some money spent on it about 4 years ago but is in desperate need of it again as you can see by my pictures.
We were asked on checkout by a very nice girl if we had enjoyed our stay and to be honest after 2 horrendous nights sleep I didn't have the energy to say no but as you can guess we won't be going there again!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
wigan
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We stayed at the Angel and Royal for two nights (5& 6 th August}. Thanks to a TRAVELZOO discount we got a good price on what was supposed to be a superior room. First impressions were quite good, a small but adequate reception and a friendly receptionist and a decent sized bedroom. However room cleanliness was poor, previous guests pubic hair in the bath, mould on the tiles around the bath and a shower head with a mind of its own. Lightbulbs hanging out of the fitting in the bedroom. Visible dust lets the place down the most, skirtings etc, that had never been wiped. If this sounds like nitpicking, you don’t expect dust to fall off the door architrave when you shut the room door.
As part of the deal we had an evening meal in the hotel restaraunt that was very good, albeit in a dining room that is rather cramped for the number of guests. To the extent we had to wait for a table at breakfast, something I have not experienced before. Reading some of the previous reviews prior to the visit had led me expect more, but we were dissapointed to say the least.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
London, England
Reviewed 19 July 2010

A party of 40 of us celebrated my Mother's birthday at the Angel & Royal and we couldn't have picked a better venue! The planning process was very smooth and Alison & Sylvia made sure that everything was taken into account beforehand.

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted warmly and helped with our bags. The rooms we were allocated were beautifully designed with attention to detail and were very comfortable. We had our toddler and baby with us and the z-bed for the toddler was very comfortable - he slept right through.

The staff could not have been more helpful - they helped us with the pre-party arrangements on the day and were always smiling (whatever requests I threw at them). We had welcome drinks in the courtyard, dinner in the Kings Room, followed by dancing and socialising in the Bistro. Drinks and dinner went smoothly and the food was delicious. Again the staff could not have been more helpful and responded to requests immediately. The rest of the evening went well too - some of our fellow guests stayed up in the bar until 5am and were well looked after.

It was very hot weather and although the hotel does not have air conditioning, the windows in the rooms open fully and the hotel lent us tower fans to cool us over night.

The only minor gripe I had was that it would have been nice to have fridges in the rooms given the hot weather, but we were able to get drinks in the lounge throughout the day so it wasn't really an issue.

It is worth knowing that the rooms are situated over 3 levels and the hotel does not have a lift. However, the staff will help you with your bags if you need it.

Given the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, and the standards of the rooms, we will definitely stay at the Angel & Royal next time we are in the area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
johnofnorfolk
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Hotel has a good car park and food was good as well as the breakfast. But when I got there the hotel had a small fire but staff did give free drinks for keeping people outside.
My problems with the hotel was there was an alarm going in my room so the first night I did not get any sleep.
Second night they alarm thing( i think it was the smoke alarm) kept making a noise but not as bad. But when I got up in the morning there was no hot water for a shower!!!
When i got back to the hotel that evening I was offer a room change, but as it was my last night i said no. I was not offered any reduced rate for these problems.
I also was a bit shocked with the amount of dust. The tables and units are covered by glass but under the glass there was a lot of dust.
Next time I have to stay in Grantham I will go another hotel

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Hull East Yorks
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Arrived for a 1 night stay with my partner. Receptionist very, very helpful and went out of her way to be accommodating with all our requests. Afternoon tea and evening meal most enjoyable, Excellent, free parking at the back of the hotel. Would recommend this hotel to all my family and friends and if visiting Grantham again would most definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Chelmsford, Essex
Reviewed 5 February 2010

I enjoyed my stay, the room, hotel, food (evening meal and breakfast) and would recommend (I have already sent a collegue this week) this hotel

Customer service is very good and I train people in that so it takes a lot to impress me

Well done, I'll be back
Sindy Carmichael-Brown

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Sindy C
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2009

The service and friendliness of the staff was exceptional. The attention to small details was much appreciated such as the Santa's stocking filled with fruit, home made biscuits, chocolate coins and nuts that was left outside everyones bedroom door on Christmas eve. We stayed in a superior double room and it was exactly that......superior. There were crackling log fires in both bars. Delicious food, champagne, mulled wine; in fact everything you need when staying at a hotel over Christmas. The history of the hotel, dating back to 1203 and well documented in wall displays, makes it more interesting than many National Trust properties. The dining room called the Kings Room is spectacular. Grantham is a pleasant town. Wulfram church, near the Angel and Royal is well worth a visit and was the setting for a lovely carol service on Christmas eve. The choir are renowned and it was a priveledge to hear them sing.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suegprice
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantham
Belton Woods Hotel
Travelodge Grantham A1
Travelodge Grantham A1
#5 of 7 in Grantham
Ramada Resort Grantham

Been to Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!