We were attending a wedding at St Wulframs church and reception in the town centre so picked this hotel for it's location and also not bad rating/reviews on here.
It is billed as a boutique hotel which I think is far from it. When we arrived, check in was quick and fine but when we got to the room it was pretty disappointing, it was very small and the standard of the decor is severely lacking with some cosmetic repairs in great need.
The bed was very hard and another couple who were attending the same wedding hit the nail on the head, they said they had booked bed and board and the bed was definitely the board. I've got to say they were the worst 2 nights sleep of my life!
There was a wedding going on there on the Friday night and it was very noisy because they were in the courtyard and being warm we had to have the window open so didn't get to sleep that early that night.
We ate in the restaurant on the first night and it was ok, the food was a bit pricy for what you get and it's very dull/dim in there so not that great an atmosphere. The website also says the hotel is wheelchair accessible but if you want to eat in the upstairs restaurant you can't and also the toilets are downstairs.
The hotel had some money spent on it about 4 years ago but is in desperate need of it again as you can see by my pictures.
We were asked on checkout by a very nice girl if we had enjoyed our stay and to be honest after 2 horrendous nights sleep I didn't have the energy to say no but as you can guess we won't be going there again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Idyllically situated in the ancient market town of Grantham in the south-west corner of Lincolnshire. The Angel and Royal Hotel is an historic hotel in fact it is reputedly the oldest inn in Britain and has hosted seven Kings over the last 800 years. Today the Angel and Royal features an award winning restaurant, cosy firelit nooks and bars and modern conference facilities. Additionally Turpins Cocktail & Prosecco bar is a great place to enjoy pre-dinner drinks or to meet family or friends. The individually designed rooms feature modern interiors and colours which complement the magnificent original features of the building. They all offer the facilities required for a comfortable stay including en-suite bathrooms - Freeview TV - phone - free wifi internet access. All rooms are no smoking ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Angel And Royal Hotel
- Angel Royal Hotel
- Angel Royal Grantham
- Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel Grantham, Lincolnshire