“What a find”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Grange-over-Sands
Birmingham
“What a find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I booked this one literally at the last minute on the spur of the moment with a dog in tow. Looking at the cost (one of the cheapest) I thought I was taking a bit of a punt but everywhere else was booked up?! How wrong could I be? This little gem is tucked away in a hillside next to woodland and perfect for walking the dog. They are very dog friendly and the whole place is clean and efficiently run.
The breakfast was great with loads of choice and the evening meal was good value too. There were even some locals who had just popped up on the evening for a meal so that tells me what good value it was.
Lovely and secluded and quiet at night I would definitely go again.
Great value for money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Derby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Hampsfell Hotel on a trip to explore the Southern area of the Lake District. The bedrooms were very comfortable and clean, the breakfast was very good and the evening meals had a good choice and cooked to perfection. The hotel is situated on a hillside at the back of Grange over Sands, it is very quiet and surrounded by woodland, there is a lovely garden and seating area outside. It is very convenient for visiting the Southern end of the Lake District. The only criticism we would make is that, we had been out all day touring and felt a little rushed for the evening meal, as this had to be ordered by 7.30, just the extra half hour would have been really good. However, we did thoroughly enjoy our stay at The Hampsfell House Hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Otley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I had read good reviews online about this place so thought we would check it out! The room we stayed in was very clean, and serviced everyday! The staff were very warm and accommodating to us (and our dog) and even provided information on walks in the local area.

Everyone we spoke to in grange seemed to know the hotel and raved about the food.... unfortunately my partner wanted to watch the world cup matches so we never ate in the restaurant... although the breakfast was very good and there was a good selection to choose from!! Nothing seemed too much effort for the staff... the service was excellent!

Overall we had a very relaxing stay, the room was big enough for us and our lurcher and lukily for us she didnt disgrace herself... so i think we will definately visit again and probably bring friends with us!!

James & Donna

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed for just one night in June 2014. Arrived at lunchtime as wanted to walk around 10 miles and was shown into bedroom. The evening meal was very good. An excellent menu and large choice of local bottled beers. The breakfast was also very good. The full english was extremely tasty. The hotel is at the top of a hill and is surrounded by woodland. There are some wonderful walks in the area and the railway runs alongside the coast and is well worth a trip

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank SWFCdave
Orrell,Wigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I arrived on bank holiday Monday at around 08:30 far too early to check in I know but I was off to Cartmel Races and I wanted to avoid the traffic. The owners of the hotel were serving breakfast and a little surprised to see me, but still took time out to help me find a taxi, supplying me with a list of numbers. The hotel seems to be a family run affair, with a very friendly and laid back atmosphere, laid back in a good way, I felt totally relaxed throughout my stay. My room number 9 was extremely clean and very comfortable, the bar area is very quiet, good for conversations, not a TV in sight,fantastic. You can't get a mobile signal in the hotel which isn't a bad thing, but they do offer free wifi in the bar and dining area. The food, breakfast and evening meal, great choice and the four chefs preparing the meals do a fantastic job, enjoyed every meal I had 5(*) The hotel is semi surrounded by beautiful gardens with great seating areas another wonderful place to relax. Would I stay in this hotel again and recommend it to others, definitely. Thanks for a great stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Luke39
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

First time in a dog friendly hotel with our unruly hound. What a charming place, proprietors very welcoming and the food was epic!! Fantastic location for walking off the very good food. Will certainly return and as our dog didn't disgrace himself I'm sure we will be welcome

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We enjoyed a couple of days DB&B at Hampsfell House. The situation of the hotel is lovely, set back from the road and within a small woodland area. The gardens are really pretty - unfortunately the weather during our visit didn't permit us to sit outside to eat or enjoy a drink. We enjoyed the food during our stay, and there was a good choice of drinks from the bar too. Our room had everything we needed for our stay, and although fairly small it was clean and tidy. The hotel was full during our visit which doesn't surprise us, the owners are very hospitable and perhaps why many guests appear to return time and time again, and which I'm sure we will do at some point. The hotel is dog friendly and our little dog enjoyed his mini break as much as we did. Thank you Rose and Brian

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple