Cumbria Grand Hotel
  • Pool
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
1,084 results
All reviewscoach partieswoodland walkcarvery dinnerfudgedance weekendcoach tripmorecambe baybar mealslarge hotellovely old hotelself servicethird floora la carte menumain coursesome tlcgroupon deallick of paint
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was 1 of the best hotels we have been to. Having been to the Salutation in Perth many times we were not surprised to find this hotel of the same standard as it is in the Strathmore group. Lovely room with a veranda, wonderful food, great staff and super views over the golf course and Morecambe Bay. Well done General Manager Mark and all your staff. Many thanks for a super 70th.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Bay have a wonderful view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
MarkWRidley, General Manager at Cumbria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Great review and delighted that after many years of being a regular at our sister hotel that you came to visit the Grand for our special occasion.
All Strathmore Hotels try to create the same atmosphere and quality of food and service.Thanks again

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Hotel was absolutely First Class,we rated everything 10 out of 10,Rooms,Staff,Dining,Cleanliness and the setting and grounds are splendid.We went with the idea of a relaxing break and couldn't have been made to feel more at home. we have already booked to go agin.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkWRidley, General Manager at Cumbria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Such a great review of your time with us and your opinion is much appreciated.It really makes everyone's efforts worthwhile and rewarding and it's what we strive to achieve.See you again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel was beautiful from the outside with well manicured grounds. Most of the communal areas were equally as grand and the dining room in particular was lovely. The staff were very helpful, particularly the receptionist who let me borrow her phone charger because I had forgotten mine!

The room itself was basic but clean. The en suite shower room looked to be new and was immaculately clean.

There was a good selection for breakfast. I did not personally like the evening meal buffet (although I do not generally like that style of English food). I was with a large group and the general feeling was that the evening meal was OK.

Overall I was very happy with my stay here: peaceful and serene.

Room Tip: The best rooms overlook the bay...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Layla198
MarkWRidley, General Manager at Cumbria Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

The hotel is indeed beautiful from the outside and many of the areas inside are traditional and in keeping with the age of the building.All the team try to go above and beyond to help where possible and if we can solve a problem for a guest we will.
Look forward to seeing you again for another relaxing break.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

As soon as we parked all I could see was the cobwebs, smashed lower windows and the windows that needed badly painted. The room was badly needing redecorated and there were lots of cobwebs in the room and especially round the inside window frames. There was even a crow stuck just above the wardrobe which kept me up. The food was adequate but I would say needed more variety. The table we sat at for dinner didn't have a view but I was not bothered about this, but I was bothered to see when we came down for breakfast that the table cloth hadn't even been changed and had stains on it. Also in this day and age I would have liked wifi and more sockets in the room. I work in a hotel myself and it certainly wasn't up to general standards - just pay a bit more and stay somewhere that isn't like the set of faulty towers!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Mazza8614

Many thanks for such a detailed review of your visit to the Cumbria Grand.I am very sorry to hear that as soon as you arrived you felt the hotel was not up to standard.
This is in contrast to so many reviews including one today, where guests delight in the beautiful ground and our Victorian building.
Last summer nearly the whole exterior was painted, there are some more works to be done later in the year.The broken window pane has now been replaced.I am glad you found the food adequate, we do receive many comments relating to this.There is no excuse for the incident with the table linen for which I sincerely apologise and this has been passed to the restaurant manager. WiFi is available "free of charge" in the public area, but due to the extremely large, old building, 120 rooms and in some areas two feet thick stone supporting walls it is not a simple process installing WiFi that every room can get, however this is something the company is looking at as part of ongoing refurbishment.
As regards to the crow (above the wardrobe?), the building is in the middle of the countryside and woodland and many birds often decide to "perch" on our roof including our resident peacock.I apologise if this disturbed your sleep.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was our first visit to this hotel. Our experience was good. The bedroom was comfortable and it was nice to have a little balcony. The carvery and breakfast very good. It is a charming hotel with lots of seating areas and a nice bar. It is undergoing some redecoration but the dining room is lovely. The staff were very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

So good when we hear that first time guests have enjoyed their stay so much and really liked the character and charm of the hotel.Please recommend us to friends and we hope to see you in the near future.